Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Having studied this for a long time particularly on the LHR routes i think the hold back of C inventory that started in 2011 or so is more related to deterring business travelers who will be likely flying on AA anyway (and have a higher threshold for fare pain) from buying coach and using upgrades- vs holding out for a theoretical last minute walk up full fare J customer. A subtle difference I understand.

At least they are still filling out the J cabin with C a day or two before departure (not so U.)
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
I’m CK and curious about a previous comment posted a few back. Somebody said if you have an expert flyer subscription, and you get a notification, you can call American Airlines and jump the upgrade. Does that mean you can act faster than American Airlines and jump people ahead of you on the list? That doesn’t sound right. Maybe I’m mistaking this.
IF you are CK, no reason to worry about your upgrade since you will get it first over anyone else.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IF you are CK, no reason to worry about your upgrade since you will get it first over anyone else.
I think the concern is that how it should work—if AA's systems were left to their own devices to just upgrade people when the system did a pass over the upgrade list—may not be how it works in practice every time.

For instance, if a CK is waitlisted for a SWU, and a Plat is waitlisted for Miles+Copay, and C space opens up 10 days out, could the Plat theoretically just see that on ExpertFlyer, call in, and have AA push his upgrade through before the system has a chance to process the CK and her SWU?

I've done this before, as soon as I've seen C space on EF. Occasionally, when I went to look at my reservation online as I was calling, it said that the details weren't available (seeming to indicate that the system had already matched my upgrade with the available C space based on my priority, and the agent re-issues the ticket for me)...but a few times that hadn't happened.

Is there a lag between the opening of C space and the system's pass through the upgrade waitlist to match up that space with reservations based on priority? When the system does match up reservations, do agents then have to manually re-ticket and process the upgrade?

And in either of those two potential windows, is it possible for someone with lower status to jump the priority queue and call in to grab the upgrade?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Sometimes if I am already on the list and see C space open, when I call I am told that I am on the list and just have to wait for the system to process. HUCA hasn't worked for me in this scenario.

If I am not on the list and call when I see C space, reps will always process immediately.

YMMV.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think the concern is that how it should work—if AA's systems were left to their own devices to just upgrade people when the system did a pass over the upgrade list—may not be how it works in practice every time.

For instance, if a CK is waitlisted for a SWU, and a Plat is waitlisted for Miles+Copay, and C space opens up 10 days out, could the Plat theoretically just see that on ExpertFlyer, call in, and have AA push his upgrade through before the system has a chance to process the CK and her SWU?

I've done this before, as soon as I've seen C space on EF. Occasionally, when I went to look at my reservation online as I was calling, it said that the details weren't available (seeming to indicate that the system had already matched my upgrade with the available C space based on my priority, and the agent re-issues the ticket for me)...but a few times that hadn't happened.

And in either of those two potential windows, is it possible for someone with lower status to jump the priority queue and call in to grab the upgrade?
Back in the old days of HP/UA the agents were able to force upgrades out of order, but many of complained about that and the practiced was stopped. Once that stop the system worked perfectly in upgrades.

Now I'm not too if the AA agents have force upgrades out of order, but if the system is programed to look at status first, then doesn't matter if the person calling is a PP and wanted to upgrade they would have to wait for CK to be upgraded first. So if you are calling in and wanting to pushed forward then I can see the CK is also checking. I think AA could fix a lot of anxiety by publishing the waitlist in real time so people can check to see there they are. on the list if they see J seat open up.

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Sometimes if I am already on the list and see C space open, when I call I am told that I am on the list and just have to wait for the system to process. HUCA hasn't worked for me in this scenario.

If I am not on the list and call when I see C space, reps will always process immediately.

YMMV.
^
DMPHL likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:01 am
pH

Hello all,

I have a requested Miles upgrade on a one-way, full fare Y ticket LHR-DFW using miles from partner's account. There is now a duplicate segment showing on my itinerary. My partner called yesterday but was given an ambiguous answer as to whether my upgrade cleared. (He thought yes but there has been no change). Basically it now looks like:

AA 79 (Economy, Y fare code, with Y seat assignment)
AA 79 same flight, same date (Business, C fare code, no seat assignment)

It still lists as 'ticketed' on the original date of booking (this week).

It does not let me select a seat in J but shows a 'greyed out' Y seat map as if all seats were full.

Is this simply showing me a requested upgrade? Or, does this mean upgrade cleared but is in AA IT purgatory?

I would call myself but am currently abroad which makes it difficult. Since moving to the UK, my AA knowledge has degraded so your advice is very much appreciated!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

YMMV.
Has anyone ever tried asking to be removed from the waitlist, and then asking for an upgrade into the available C inventory? Either with the same agent, or calling back for the second part? Can't see why this wouldn't work. I'd guess that the odds that the waitlist processes itself in that few minute interval between calls is rather small (but not zero). As long as this isn't the day of departure with only a few J seats left, the risks would be minimal also, since time of request barely matters on the waitlist priority now, so you could always get back on the list.

In the grand scheme, I don't think it's that often that ExpertFlyer catches a "C" bucket release before the waitlist processes, but it does seem like it's still possible.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:52 am
pH

Originally Posted by pH
Is this simply showing me a requested upgrade? Or, does this mean upgrade cleared but is in AA IT purgatory?
I was able to answer my own question by calling. Upgrade cleared (yes!) but was stuck as it was using miles from my partner's account who is on a separate booking.

Two mileage upgrades (non-status) cleared 6 weeks out within 24 hours of booking- I feel lucky!

Happy travels!
DMPHL likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA
Quick question:

I have a SFO-MIA-EZE flight next month.

Called and they said that the MIA-EZE leg can be confirmed for miles + co-pay, but the SFO-MIA is on waiting list.

I have no status currently.

No clue about the probability of SFO-MIA confirming, but in the case that it doesn't clear I would like to at least be able to purchase a preferred seat that is better than nothing.

But if SFO-MIA does clear, then it means I bought a seat (approx. $90) for nothing.

Suggestions whether to purchase a preferred seat on the SFO-MIA in the meantime?

Last edited by soriano; Oct 23, 2017 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by soriano
Quick question:

I have a SFO-MIA-EZE flight next month.

Called and they said that the MIA-EZE leg can be confirmed for miles + co-pay, but the SFO-MIA is on waiting list.

I have no status currently.

No clue about the probability of SFO-MIA confirming, but in the case that it doesn't clear I would like to at least be able to purchase a preferred seat that is better than nothing.

But if SFO-MIA does clear, then it means I bought a seat (approx. $90) for nothing.

Suggestions whether to purchase a preferred seat on the SFO-MIA in the meantime?
If your upgrade clears, seat fees are refunded shortly following the travel date.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
If your upgrade clears, seat fees are refunded shortly following the travel date.
thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Hmmm.....I have used 25,000 Miles + $350 Co-pay to upgrade to J on LAX-HKG-LAX a few times now with ease. This is a GREAT deal for a 12-14 hour flight!

I just got an EF alert that LAX-LHR opened up C inventory on the flight I'm on in Jan but I called and it was the same price to upgrade! lol! This flight is sometimes less than 10 hours in the air.

I am sad! I was expecting either the dollar and/or mileage required would be a bit lower.

I've never actually flown the 77W in anything but J (not rich, just always using SWUs and Miles+CoPay). Am I going to regret it? I have seat 16A.

Last edited by 355F1; Dec 3, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Agreed that miles & copay from Asia is a great deal. Just took advantage at the end of a long (but really quick in terms of number of days) work trip to AP.

25k + $425 (350 + 75 to take control of Concur/AMEX reservation) got me J on HND - LAX - DFW - RDU with HND - LAX - DFW all on B/E Aerospace 772s. Plus lounge access at every point (which I wouldn't have had). Earned about 25k miles from the trip itself so netted out to $425 - I'll take that deal every day to get home from Asia in J.

Fortunately we buy last minute so I had a bunch of EF alerts set for all the NRT/HND routes and booked based on HNDLAX opening first (think it went out with 2-3 empty in J). That leg and DFW - RDU cleared on the spot. Got the EF alert for LAX - DFW probabsly 36 hours before the flight and just sent a DM to the Twitter team and they applied to upgrade to that last leg and reissued without having to pick up the phone.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Duke787
Agreed that miles & copay from Asia is a great deal. Just took advantage at the end of a long (but really quick in terms of number of days) work trip to AP.

25k + $425 (350 + 75 to take control of Concur/AMEX reservation) got me J on HND - LAX - DFW - RDU with HND - LAX - DFW all on B/E Aerospace 772s. Plus lounge access at every point (which I wouldn't have had). Earned about 25k miles from the trip itself so netted out to $425 - I'll take that deal every day to get home from Asia in J.

Fortunately we buy last minute so I had a bunch of EF alerts set for all the NRT/HND routes and booked based on HNDLAX opening first (think it went out with 2-3 empty in J). That leg and DFW - RDU cleared on the spot. Got the EF alert for LAX - DFW probabsly 36 hours before the flight and just sent a DM to the Twitter team and they applied to upgrade to that last leg and reissued without having to pick up the phone.
awesome!!!!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:12 am

Hoo boy, what a call I had this morning. Just a bit of friendly advice. Based on a call today I would strongly advise against suggesting you know that upgrade space is available and instead just asking.

We are flying PEK-LAX-PHX in Y. I upgraded with miles and a co-pay but only the international flight was available and so I waitlisted LAX-PHX. Today, expertflyer sent me an alert that it opened.

So, I call. After going through the preliminaries: "I think maybe upgrade space is available now on the domestic leg and I was wondering whether it can be added." After which ensued something like the following:

"Just because you can see seats in first doesn't mean that upgrade space is available."
"Oh, right, but I actually think C is available on these."
"Where do you see that on seat guru or something?"
"There are services that check." (What I probably should have said is that explats can check for friends online for SWU availability; not sure if that would have been better to say.)
Long pause.
"No, nothing available."
"Really? Ok, thanks for checking."

Hang up and call again. This time:
"Hi there, I think I'm waitlisted on a segment where I used miles and a co-pay for an upgrade and I was wondering if you might be able to check whether anything has come open?"
"The Los Angeles to Phoenix leg?"
"Yes."
"Yup, let me set it up for you."

This doesn't really capture the hostility of the first call. In retrospect I think I came off like a know-it-all and she perceived it as me telling her how to do her job. So, anyway, just a PSA.

Last edited by lkar; Dec 6, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.