Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Gold, Accor LeClub - Platinum, Hilton Hhonors - Diamond
As a BAEC member, I am just trying to get my head round some of the other oneworld FFP.

Would someone be able to clarify about the upgrading 3 sectors of an intinerary with a single payment?

I have an AA booked Transatlantic itinerary, basis is P class, but domestic legs are booked into Y:

17 Feb. LHR PHL P
17. Feb. PHL LAX Y
03 Mar. LAX JFK Y
03 Mar. JFK LHR P

Can I apply the same reduced mileage payment, 5000 miles, to both the PHL LAX and LAX JFK leg? Or would each leg require there own 5000 miles payment? Also, I can see C7 on the PHL LAX but C0 on the LAX JFK, can I confirm one upgrade and go on the waitlist for the other if they can both be upgraded with the same payment?

Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NXflyer
As a BAEC member, I am just trying to get my head round some of the other oneworld FFP.

Would someone be able to clarify about the upgrading 3 sectors of an intinerary with a single payment?

I have an AA booked Transatlantic itinerary, basis is P class, but domestic legs are booked into Y:

17 Feb. LHR PHL P
17. Feb. PHL LAX Y
03 Mar. LAX JFK Y
03 Mar. JFK LHR P

Can I apply the same reduced mileage payment, 5000 miles, to both the PHL LAX and LAX JFK leg? Or would each leg require there own 5000 miles payment? Also, I can see C7 on the PHL LAX but C0 on the LAX JFK, can I confirm one upgrade and go on the waitlist for the other if they can both be upgraded with the same payment?

Thanks
Upgrades are valid in one "direction" of travel, so since PHL-LAX is your outbound and LAX-JFK return, each one would require a separate 5k mile upgrade.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Gold, Accor LeClub - Platinum, Hilton Hhonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Upgrades are valid in one "direction" of travel, so since PHL-LAX is your outbound and LAX-JFK return, each one would require a separate 5k mile upgrade.
Thanks for the help, really appreciated!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Same thing here. My seat selection cleared 2 weeks prior to departure from P to J. My ticket was re-issued (and points and cash deducted) the day prior to departure.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:47 am

are there any long-haul routes where AA predictably releases “C” inventory at end of schedule?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:43 pm

Currently waitlisted for a mileage upgrade. I just received an email from Expert Flyer showing "C" inventory opened up for a DFW NRT on April 9. I called American and the agent said there are no seats released as of yet. I just rechecked EF and they are still showing C7 on that date. Any ideas on why the agent said this. Just wondering if I should be patient or call another agent.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alcalbf5
Currently waitlisted for a mileage upgrade. I just received an email from Expert Flyer showing "C" inventory opened up for a DFW NRT on April 9. I called American and the agent said there are no seats released as of yet. I just rechecked EF and they are still showing C7 on that date. Any ideas on why the agent said this. Just wondering if I should be patient or call another agent.
Worth checking again. Agents able to see everything I saw on EF this week for a trip up to YYZ
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by alcalbf5
Yea, showing C7, definitely HUCA.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Upgrading to Maui with miles and Copay

I am looking at flying IND/DFW/OGG next February. If I understand correctly, I can upgrade a Main Cabin ticket for 15,000 miles with a $175 copay each way if there is award seat availability. My question is - would I be able to get the confirmed First Class seat at time of purchase, if an award seat is available? I don't want to be on a waitlist for months and hope the upgrade clears but then end up in Econ for the flight.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EP
If upgrade space (C class) is available you can confirm after ticketing. some agents will process the ticket and upgrade at the same time. But again, C class must be available.

Originally Posted by lennon
I am looking at flying IND/DFW/OGG next February. If I understand correctly, I can upgrade a Main Cabin ticket for 15,000 miles with a $175 copay each way if there is award seat availability. My question is - would I be able to get the confirmed First Class seat at time of purchase, if an award seat is available? I don't want to be on a waitlist for months and hope the upgrade clears but then end up in Econ for the flight.
lennon likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lennon
Just to be clear, an “award” seat is usually referring to a free ticket (paid with miles), separate from an “upgrade award.” For AA there is different availability for award seats and upgrade awards; most people can only see the latter on AA.con. *Usually* if there is an award seat there will also be an upgrade seat, although the opposite is less often true. The ExpertFlyer service will show you both; the upgrade requires “C” class availability, as was mentionee.
lennon likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I fly the DFW to OGG flight every February and have done so for about 20 years. I used to buy a cash coach fare and upgrade as you are trying to do. Starting 5 or 6 years ago it became almost impossible to get an upgrade to clear when the ticket is purchased, so now we use miles or buy the cash fare outright. Cash fares are actually quite reasonable considering the lie flat seat and the duration of the flight. It seems like many people took the same route because in recent years these 777 flights sell out in F in February, to the extent where you cannot even buy a ticket several weeks out. In normal years I would say your chances of an upgrade clearing are nil unless you are Executive Platinum or higher, and even then small. 2021 may be different though as it would seem that bookings on the Hawaii flights are extremely light so far. Usually by this time of year a lot of the seats have been reserved, this year there are very few taken. If you have miles keep checking, periodically they are offering F seats for as low as 47,500 miles for 2021 but they are usually 87,500 which is still a whole lot better than what they have been trying to get in the last year of two.
lennon likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:06 pm

Just to add to the above, yes, C class must be available to confirm an upgrade in advance. It's hard to come by for the lie-flat routes to hawaii that typically have a high proportion of people willing to pay for J outright. C class is completely independent from U (saver J) space, so you shouldn't use the presence of award space to determine whether C is available.

Also, in light of the expansion of Web Special J award seats, its much more likely that you may be able to find affordable mileage rates for such a journey, especially from a secondary market like IND, perhaps costing even less than the typical "saver" rate. If you are okay with paying 45k miles (normal price 62.5K) each way, there are actually quite a few dates in February from a cursory look that have plenty of web special award space, which is worth grabbing if you have the miles.

You will need to use expertflyer to help find C space.
lennon likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Noob upgrade question

I know it's possible to upgrade with miles on AA, though I have not done so, and have only used my 500-mile upgrades. I'm Platinum, so no SWA. I have a PE ticket to Brazil (AA portion is DFW-GRU) Is it possible to upgrade PE to Business (the highest class). My fare code is P. I am fine with only flying PE, but since both flights are overnight, and I have plenty of miles, I'd be willing to shell them out if I can. This link is not totally clear for a noob--or Covid brain and the idea of traveling, even if it's not right away, has me too excited to think clearly. Thanks for your kindness!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Old Oct 24, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
I know it's possible to upgrade with miles on AA, though I have not done so, and have only used my 500-mile upgrades. I'm Platinum, so no SWA. I have a PE ticket to Brazil (AA portion is DFW-GRU) Is it possible to upgrade PE to Business (the highest class). My fare code is P. I am fine with only flying PE, but since both flights are overnight, and I have plenty of miles, I'd be willing to shell them out if I can. This link is not totally clear for a noob--or Covid brain and the idea of traveling, even if it's not right away, has me too excited to think clearly. Thanks for your kindness!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Yes, you can upgrade using 25,000 miles + $350 each way. There is no option for miles only since you're in discounted PE (fare class P).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.