Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by voweffekt
Sorry if this has been covered, didn't find it in the search.

Flying PHL to FRA on July 2, booked in Y.
Right now there are 6 open in J and 15 in PE.

What are the options to upgrade to PE? Is that the regular miles + copay or are there other options, since I'm thinking the upgrade to J won't go through. Are upgrades to PE offered for $$ at OLCI? I'm thinking that it's not worth it, but looking for advice on this one route.
Thanks, V
As MathMusic explained there is no upgrade instrument that allows you to clear into PE yet, try to see if you could upfare from Y to PEY. From my own experience AA's PEY price is relatively reasonable; and there is no change fees for upfare.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
delete
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I upgraded PHL-DUB, original seats were PE (purchased) and when I did the upgrade was charged 25K + $250 each. The only reason was it's an overnight flight. So I shouldn't have been charged that much?
What was your PE fare code? If W there should not be any copay; if P, most likely in your case, then it costs you copay. Same applies to Y and discounted economy fare.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Are you sure the copay wasn't $350? Sounds like you got undercharged $100!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
What was your PE fare code? If W there should not be any copay; if P, most likely in your case, then it costs you copay. Same applies to Y and discounted economy fare.
Yes, P fare

Originally Posted by donotblink
Are you sure the copay wasn't $350? Sounds like you got undercharged $100!
Sorry $350
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

I'm attempting my first mileage upgrade on AA, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

We're booked ORD-DFW-PVR on 3/23, and returning PVR-DFW-ORD on 3/29 afternoon/3/30 morning. There are four of us on ticketed, and I called and asked to upgrade my wife and I. Expertflyer shows C inventory on all legs (3 on flight 2412 and 3 on 1467 going outbound, and 4 on 1288/4 on 2812 returning). The agent on the phone told me there was only availability for the ORD-DFW and DFW-ORD segments though.Am I mis-reading expertflyer?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by scootr5
I'm attempting my first mileage upgrade on AA, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

We're booked ORD-DFW-PVR on 3/23, and returning PVR-DFW-ORD on 3/29 afternoon/3/30 morning. There are four of us on ticketed, and I called and asked to upgrade my wife and I. Expertflyer shows C inventory on all legs (3 on flight 2412 and 3 on 1467 going outbound, and 4 on 1288/4 on 2812 returning). The agent on the phone told me there was only availability for the ORD-DFW and DFW-ORD segments though.Am I mis-reading expertflyer?
I just checked the outbound and do see C space. Try HUCA.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Thanks. I tried that, and got the same result. Interestingly, I think I figured out how to do the connecting flight in expertflyer and it showed zero space in the second segment, but if I look at each leg individually it showed space available.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:34 am

please delete
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by voweffekt
Sorry if this has been covered, didn't find it in the search.

Flying PHL to FRA on July 2, booked in Y.
Right now there are 6 open in J and 15 in PE.

What are the options to upgrade to PE? Is that the regular miles + copay or are there other options, since I'm thinking the upgrade to J won't go through. Are upgrades to PE offered for $$ at OLCI? I'm thinking that it's not worth it, but looking for advice on this one route.
Thanks, V

Quick follow up. Upgrade offered at kiosk from y to pey for $300 pp. Hardly anyone took it. I didn't. A point based upgrade was not an option. Bulkhead on the A330-200 had a nice cut out near the feet so plenty of extra room.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:54 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Are mileage upgrades by default going to be pulled from the account of the person calling if upgrading two people or from each individual traveler ala 500 mile upgrades? If the later, is it going to be a similar convulted process to get them to pull from the same account?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Confused with $350, 25K miles upgrade. Recently flew in to HKG. Requested 25K $350 Co-pay Upgrade, the LAX-HKG cleared and the ORD-LAX cleared at the gate. I saw AA charge me 4 certs for the ORD-LAX segment. On my return AA is refusing me to check-in as I do not have the certs required for the LAX-ORD segment. the HKG-LAX has already cleared with the miles/copay option. I thought the $350/25K option covers the domestic sectors too .. am I mistaken ?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
Confused with $350, 25K miles upgrade. Recently flew in to HKG. Requested 25K $350 Co-pay Upgrade, the LAX-HKG cleared and the ORD-LAX cleared at the gate. I saw AA charge me 4 certs for the ORD-LAX segment. On my return AA is refusing me to check-in as I do not have the certs required for the LAX-ORD segment. the HKG-LAX has already cleared with the miles/copay option. I thought the $350/25K option covers the domestic sectors too .. am I mistaken ?
My understanding of the rules is that a miles + copay should be treated like a SWU. In my experience, this has never happened. I have been told that agents set up the upgrade to clear when the international leg clears, but then for some reason, I can never get them to apply the upgrade to domestic connections. For me it just means I don’t get priority over EXPs using UDUs. For non-EXPs, I can see this being an even bigger problem.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
The miles/co-pay upgrade covers up to 3 segments, but you need to call AA to have it applied to your domestic segments once your longhaul segment clears.

Typically you are only waitlisted for the longhaul segment on a miles/co-pay or SWU, as otherwise you would be charged the full 25k + $350 even if only the short domestic segment were to clear. Unfortunately while this method is the best, it means you must manually monitor C space on the domestic segments and call AA to have your upgrade applied once the long segment clears.

Call AA, have them remove your sticker upgrade for LAX-ORD, and apply your existing miles/copay upgrade to that segment. This is not something that typically can be done at the airport. And when you return to the US, call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and they should refund your 4 stickers for the ORD-LAX upgrade on your outbound.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The miles/co-pay upgrade covers up to 3 segments, but you need to call AA to have it applied to your domestic segments once your longhaul segment clears.

Typically you are only waitlisted for the longhaul segment on a miles/co-pay or SWU, as otherwise you would be charged the full 25k + $350 even if only the short domestic segment were to clear. Unfortunately while this method is the best, it means you must manually monitor C space on the domestic segments and call AA to have your upgrade applied once the long segment clears.

Call AA, have them remove your sticker upgrade for LAX-ORD, and apply your existing miles/copay upgrade to that segment. This is not something that typically can be done at the airport. And when you return to the US, call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and they should refund your 4 stickers for the ORD-LAX upgrade on your outbound.
So, in other words, if C space does not open up on the domestic segment before you go to the airport, there is no way you can get the agents at the airport or Club to waitlist you on the upgrade list as if you were using an SWU?

I know that when I've used an SWU, an AAngel in the club can change the upgrade priority when I've been incorrectly listed as a sticker upgrade, but I have not been able to get an AAngel to do the same when using miles + copay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.