Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm seeing C2 on ExpertFlyer right now for my flight to Asia in T-28. I'm Platinum and still haven't cleared. I called and spoke with two different agents and they said I had to wait until I clear the wait list.

If C2 is existing, why isn't it processing? Anything I should say to get them to push it through?!?

This is aggravating!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by snardy
I'm seeing C2 on ExpertFlyer right now for my flight to Asia in T-28. I'm Platinum and still haven't cleared. I called and spoke with two different agents and they said I had to wait until I clear the wait list.

If C2 is existing, why isn't it processing? Anything I should say to get them to push it through?!?

This is aggravating!
Interesting update to my story:
After seeing C space on EF last night only for my long-haul leg, I made 3 late nights calls (between the hours of 01:00-2:30) and all CS reps said the same thing: "We don't see those C seats in our system, you'll need to wait on the list to automatically clear."

When I awoke this morning, EF was showing C0 for both domestic and TPAC long haul legs. Oh well. I had the flight alerts ready in EF.

I went to the gym and while on the treadmill, I ran another search on EF and it popped up with C1 for the TPAC long haul leg only. No email alert in my inbox, so it definitely pays off to keep refreshing EF manually a few times per hour.

I immediately stopped my workout and got onto the Platinum CS number. It appears I got a CS rep in the Phillipines (or another Asian country) as I could hear foreign voices in the background as well. I told her "I see that there is a C seat available for my TPAC leg, I would like to book it now. Please push through my request to upgrade." She put up a half-hearted objection, stating that I need to wait until the list fully clears. I asked her to check if the C seat was available and she confirmed there was one.

I then said "As I understand the rules, C seats may be positively booked as soon as they are available. Can you please push through my request and see if it will confirm?"

As soon as I said that, she changed her tune and got to work trying to process it. She stated that my domestic leg has no C availability, but the TPAC leg did. She asked me to confirm that I was ok with her canceling my 500-miler request for the domestic leg, in order to process the TPAC long haul leg.

In the end, it all worked out. I think it helped that I understood the rules of C seats and could prove that to her. It definitely seems like they are purposely holding back on processing the auto upgrade list in a timely manner. Be persistent, know the rules of the game.

Moral of the story:
HUCA FTW, all day erry'day.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:03 pm

What impact, if any, does checking-in have on a waitlisted miles + copay upgrade? Is it better to check-in right at T-24, or is it better to wait as long as possible to check-in just until the airport takes control of the upgrade list? Or does it even matter?

I think I remember reading one post in which an upgrade cleared within T-24, and the flyer who had already done OLCI needed agent assistance to push the upgrade through, but I don't know if that was the norm or some unusual circumstance.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by uclachef
What impact, if any, does checking-in have on a waitlisted miles + copay upgrade? Is it better to check-in right at T-24, or is it better to wait as long as possible to check-in just until the airport takes control of the upgrade list? Or does it even matter?

I think I remember reading one post in which an upgrade cleared within T-24, and the flyer who had already done OLCI needed agent assistance to push the upgrade through, but I don't know if that was the norm or some unusual circumstance.

Thanks.
If I'm on the waitlist for more a SWU or Miles & Copay upgrade, I check in at the airport. I'm not honestly sure if there's a benefit one way or another, but I like having the flexibility of not being checked in should an upgrade open. That's just my preference.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by snardy
Interesting update to my story:
After seeing C space on EF last night only for my long-haul leg, I made 3 late nights calls (between the hours of 01:00-2:30) and all CS reps said the same thing: "We don't see those C seats in our system, you'll need to wait on the list to automatically clear."

When I awoke this morning, EF was showing C0 for both domestic and TPAC long haul legs. Oh well. I had the flight alerts ready in EF.

I went to the gym and while on the treadmill, I ran another search on EF and it popped up with C1 for the TPAC long haul leg only. No email alert in my inbox, so it definitely pays off to keep refreshing EF manually a few times per hour.

I immediately stopped my workout and got onto the Platinum CS number. It appears I got a CS rep in the Phillipines (or another Asian country) as I could hear foreign voices in the background as well. I told her "I see that there is a C seat available for my TPAC leg, I would like to book it now. Please push through my request to upgrade." She put up a half-hearted objection, stating that I need to wait until the list fully clears. I asked her to check if the C seat was available and she confirmed there was one.

I then said "As I understand the rules, C seats may be positively booked as soon as they are available. Can you please push through my request and see if it will confirm?"

As soon as I said that, she changed her tune and got to work trying to process it. She stated that my domestic leg has no C availability, but the TPAC leg did. She asked me to confirm that I was ok with her canceling my 500-miler request for the domestic leg, in order to process the TPAC long haul leg.

In the end, it all worked out. I think it helped that I understood the rules of C seats and could prove that to her. It definitely seems like they are purposely holding back on processing the auto upgrade list in a timely manner. Be persistent, know the rules of the game.

Moral of the story:
HUCA FTW, all day erry'day.
But those aren't actually the rules as far as I understand, you got lucky in that agents prefer to take the easy route rather than wait for the waitlist to process.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
But those aren't actually the rules as far as I understand, you got lucky in that agents prefer to take the easy route rather than wait for the waitlist to process.
No - if there's C available, it's available. That's it. There's no reason that I know of that an agent should refuse to process an upgrade if C is available.

If there are people on the waitlist who haven't cleared, AA shouldn't release C.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by no1cub17
No - if there's C available, it's available. That's it. There's no reason that I know of that an agent should refuse to process an upgrade if C is available.

If there are people on the waitlist who haven't cleared, AA shouldn't release C.
But it seems like they do. I had a similar situation when I was waitlisted for a miles and pay upgrade for a future flight. I received an alert from Expert Flyer, so I called after I confirmed that it was still available. The Agent said that there was a waitlist and the system had to process the upgrade. She also said she could not tell me what number I was on the waitlist.

I never did get the upgrade and based on seat assignments I am not sure that anyone was upgraded. This flight was months in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:28 pm

No, as you are well aware there is often lag between when C is released and when the, wait for it, waitlist is processed. That agents will occasionally allow people to jump the, wait for it, waitlist, does not a policy make. Under your theory the waitlist exists for what purpose?

Call it what it is, taking advantage of a loophole, but don't call it the policy.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:09 am

No, as you are well aware there is often lag between when C is released and when the, wait for it, waitlist is processed. That agents will occasionally allow people to jump the, wait for it, waitlist, does not a policy make. Under your theory the waitlist exists for what purpose?

Call it what it is, taking advantage of a loophole, but don't call it the policy.
Well then why does C inventory exist? If there's C inventory available for a flight two months from now vs 12 hours from now, what's the difference? It's available and therefore should be able to be booked. It's certainly not my fault that AA can't manage their, wait for it, waitlist, appropriately.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:16 am

Well then why does C inventory exist? If there's C inventory available for a flight two months from now vs 12 hours from now, what's the difference? It's available and therefore should be able to be booked. It's certainly not my fault that AA can't manage their, wait for it, waitlist, appropriately.
But that doesn't mean that it's a policy one can quote to an agent to force them to clear you out of order. That clearly isn't the intent of having a waitlist, which is the whole point of my post.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:59 am

It's certainly not my fault that AA can't manage their, wait for it, waitlist, appropriately.
Sure it certainly not your fault. However, AA gets to make all of the rules. If AA wants to tell their staff not to give any passenger a C class upgrade until the waitlist is zero due to a time lag in their system they can do that.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

But that doesn't mean that it's a policy one can quote to an agent to force them to clear you out of order. That clearly isn't the intent of having a waitlist, which is the whole point of my post.
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Sure it certainly not your fault. However, AA gets to make all of the rules. If AA wants to tell their staff not to give any passenger a C class upgrade until the waitlist is zero due to a time lag in their system they can do that.
Agree with these posts.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Do agents have the ability to view the waitlist for a specific flight?

If they don't want to give upgrades while there's a waitlist, I suppose it's AA's prerogative to make that the "policy", but it needs to be enforced equitably. If a passenger books a new itinerary that has "C" available and asks to upgrade, then the agent has to check whether there's a pending waitlist or not before grabbing the space. They can't be differentiating between passengers who are already booked (and waitlisted) and those who aren't.

If it's a new booking, it seems pretty asinine for an agent to have to not only check for C availability but also to check the status of any waitlist requests. Certainly diminishes the usefulness of ExpertFlyer (yes there's, C, but you can't have it), although I guess that's not AA's issue. :sigh:
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Agree with these posts.
So basically C inventory means nothing and it's up to an AAgents whims if they want to clear an upgrade or not? Cool.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:24 pm
Suspended

So basically C inventory means nothing and it's up to an AAgents whims if they want to clear an upgrade or not? Cool.
You genuinely can't grasp what's being explained to you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.