Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

TN / Air Tahiti Nui and AA to code share / codeshare (limited flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TN / Air Tahiti Nui and AA to code share / codeshare (limited flights)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm...neither AA nor QF codeshares are selling first class (BTW, is this new? Didn't this use to be a 2 class aircraft?)

As far as 25JAN, TN shows J1 and both AA* and QF* codeshares are zeroed out. This is most likely due to either the commercial agreement between TN and AA and (separately) QF or a technological delay/issue. We don't know for sure.

There really isn't a pattern that I can discern. I've even found a date (16FEB) where TN has J6 and AA* J7 (!), but yes, there are an awfully high number of days where TN is J3 and even J7 (the maximum shown) and AA* is J0. Weird.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
Hmmm...neither AA nor QF codeshares are selling first class (BTW, is this new? Didn't this use to be a 2 class aircraft?)
It's been a 3-Class A/C for as long as I can remember. In 2009, my wife and I flew F on the LAX-PPT leg and J on the PPT-LAX leg. The service in F was phenomenal, as there are only 6 seats. A year or two ago, there had been talk of TN removing F altogether, but it doesn't look like those plans have materialized.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:18 am
Suspended

These apparent discrepancies can be explained if the codeshare agreement between AA and TN is a "block space" arrangement (as opposed to a "freesale" arrangement). The following simplified explanation comes from here: http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sect...ecodeshare.pdf

In a "block space" arrangement, the marketing carrier pre-arranges to reserve a given number ("block") of seats on the operating carrier’s flights. This may be an absolute arrangement, whereby the marketing carrier purchases the block of seats at an agreed price (called a "hard block"), or there may be an option to return some of the seats at an agreed number of days before departure ("soft block"). The effect of this arrangement is to set up a "virtual flight" controlled by the marketing carrier, with a guaranteed availability of seats for the marketing carrier. When a passenger tries to book with the marketing carrier, the reservations system only needs to check whether seats are available on the "virtual flight", and hence no real-time communication is required with the operating carrier.
In a "freesale" code-share arrangement, the booking classes of the two airlines are mapped.... When a passenger tries to book on the marketing carrier, a seat from the booking class relating to the fare being sold by the marketing carrier needs to be allocated. The reservations system will try to access this booking class, which will be automatically mapped to the corresponding booking class of the operating carrier – if seats are available in this booking class on the relevant flight, a booking can be made (otherwise it will be denied). In this way, the marketing and operating carrier book into the same inventory of seats.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
HA HNL-PPT seems discontinued the latter half of December.

Fortunately, TN is offering AA codeshares, and - surprise! - the AA codeshare was slightly less than the TN fare (the QF codeshare price was substantially more). The AA codeshare came up on LAX-PPT as well as SMF-LAX-PPT connecting from Eagle.

And we got seats on the K-L side when we booked. Yep, we are flying c-c-c-Coach - V fare, as we wanted to keep low on the budget. We won a Paul Gauguin trip and are using an AXON award for four days at the Hilton Moorea. There may be some rain, but you can bet it will be warmer and less foggy than Sacratomato.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Half empty or half full? A good start, anyway. I just wish it were this year, as otherwise I will use AS to HNL and HA to PPT.

N.B. As this has very little to do with the speculation TN might join oneworld, it has been moved into its own thread. /Moderator
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by nddomer04
I'm noticing something that someone might be able to help clarify. On certain dates (Jan 25, for example), AA only has economy availabilty for the codeshare, whereas TN's website shows Business and First availability with a TN flight number. Furthermore, I cannot find one date where someone could purchase an F ticket as an AA flight number, even though TN still has F availability on its website.

Is AA only allowed to put its code on a certain # of business class seats, or are they only allowed to do this on certain days?

I have been told that AA does not offer the option of a First Class award on Air Tahiti Nui only Business and economy.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jagoffee
I have been told that AA does not offer the option of a First Class award on Air Tahiti Nui only Business and economy.
This question refers to a revenue ticket.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jagoffee
You are right in terms of award availability. Back in '09, my wife and I were very fortunate to snag two F award seats LAX-PPT. Then, there was a period of time where AA was only able to obtain 1 F seat. Now, it seems as it F seats are completely gone from AA's award availability.

As BrewerSEA stated, I was inquiring about the revenue seats via codeshare. But, maybe AA's codeshare does not pertain to F seats?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
This question refers to a revenue ticket.
Originally Posted by nddomer04
You are right in terms of award availability. Back in '09, my wife and I were very fortunate to snag two F award seats LAX-PPT. Then, there was a period of time where AA was only able to obtain 1 F seat. Now, it seems as it F seats are completely gone from AA's award availability.

As BrewerSEA stated, I was inquiring about the revenue seats via codeshare. But, maybe AA's codeshare does not pertain to F seats?
Sorry, my mistake.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just flew PPT-AKL on TN using QF codeshare in business and it posted correctly to my AAdvantage account. The seats are extremely uncomfortable & no avod - only looped content.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:49 pm

has anyone flown ATN after the new codeshare and got the miles credited to their AA account?

Flown under TN ticket, not QF or AA.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, HH GLD, CC GLD, Hyatt PLT, IHG PLT Amb
I just had my AA codeshare flights on TN cancelled, and was told by the EXP desk that the codeshare flights were cancelled for my dates and that the codeshare agreement was being terminated! Was reaccomodated on AA codeshare flights on different dates when the AAgent expressed doubts that I would get original routing credit if I flew the same flights w/ a TN flight number, and today aa.com is not showing any availability between LAX and PPT on AA flight numbers.

I got no email notice about the codeshare cancellation, and it seems the system was just automatically programmed to rebook the deleted codeshare flights with the same non-codeshared TN flights, so if anyone has reservations on an AA codeshare operated on TN metal I would highly recommend checking your reservation ASAP.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I flew (with Lady JDiver) SMF-LAX-PPT 10 Dec 2012 and returned 22 Dec and received all miles and points within a very few days.

Flown as QF codeshare, one might get lucky and receive EQM/P, but should not; flown as TN, one should not. If the codeshare are indeed terminated, as it seems by usviflyer's booking changes, there would be no way to earn AAdvantage Base / EQ / Redeemable miles on TN.

One issue with the codeshare: TN sells counter upgrades from Moana Coach to Poerava Business - but they can and will not sell counter upgrades to those on codeshares, only if one is flying on TN flight numbers.

Originally Posted by munna82
has anyone flown ATN after the new codeshare and got the miles credited to their AA account?

Flown under TN ticket, not QF or AA.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Flown as QF codeshare, one might get lucky and receive EQM/P...
Yep. Here's one lucky that got EQM/RDM on QF flight numbers on TN this past September/October.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Unhappy

One issue with the codeshare: TN sells counter upgrades from Moana Coach to Poerava Business - but they can and will not sell counter upgrades to those on codeshares, only if one is flying on TN flight numbers.
On Jan 2, the counter upgrade to J LAX>PPT was $950. We did not book through AA since the agreement came after our booking.... my mistake.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:47 pm

Sorry - just found a better thread for my question.

Last edited by FlyerX; Jan 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm Reason: Found better thread for my question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.