Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA fuel surcharges change from YQ to YR, carrier imposed surcharge

Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G

Not sure if this makes any practical difference, but this came through the travel agent mailings today:

1 June 2012
American Airlines Announces Change in International Surcharges

American Airlines® will revise its international surcharges from YQ to YR, effective June 1, 2012 for transpacific and June 3, 2012 for transatlantic journeys. The YR code will replace YQ in itinerary pricing, tickets and ticket records.

This change will not affect the way surcharges are applied, priced or ticketed. It is a change to the two letter code in the tax box in the pricing display and on tickets.The replacement YR surcharge will be filed at an amount equal to the existing YQ surcharge.

This YR surcharge is refundable when purchasing a refundable fare. The YR component is nonrefundable when purchasing a non-refundable fare.

If you have any questions please refer to your agency reference pages at AA.com or contact your
local Sales Support team.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by BDA shorts

This YR surcharge is refundable when purchasing a refundable fare. The YR component is nonrefundable when purchasing a non-refundable fare.

Does this mean if one cancels a non-refundable international ticket they will lose the $250 change fee PLUS the YR fee? This would be huge.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:29 pm

Hurray! No more dreaded YQ fare!

AA you've made my day. I feel better knowing the oft despised YQ surcharge is gone!

And it sounds like a good business move to forstall any pesky consumer claims of unfair trading practices.

YR, now that's a surcharge I can live with. I'm certain it will be reasonable and fair and just and thoughfully applied correlating to an index of practical significance.

Of course in the old days, supplements such as YR were simply called-- the "fare."
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by vxmike
Does this mean if one cancels a non-refundable international ticket they will lose the $250 change fee PLUS the YR fee? This would be huge.
Yes you will lose it. Wonder which AG may get into how much that non refundable YR means to an airline' bottom line ?

Originally Posted by Globehopper

AA you've made my day. I feel better knowing the oft despised YQ surcharge is gone!

And it sounds like a good business move to forstall any pesky consumer claims of unfair trading practices.

YR, now that's a surcharge I can live with. I'm certain it will be reasonable and fair and just and thoughfully applied correlating to an index of practical significance.

Of course in the old days, supplements such as YR were simply called-- the "fare."
+1 A rose by any name, or maybe in this case a donkey by any name......
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
My guess--and if nobody else knows for sure I may send an email to the sales rep who sent the original notice for clarification--is that the YR will still be included in the ticket value for use against payment for a future itinerary, but you can't get cold hard cash back. (You can get cash back when canceling a nonrefundable ticket for many "real" taxes, which is probably what they're distinguishing from.)
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Globehopper

You're right. There is no reason to separate out the fuel surcharge, it is part of the fare. When you book on AA.com, you won't even notice it.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess--and if nobody else knows for sure I may send an email to the sales rep who sent the original notice for clarification--is that the YR will still be included in the ticket value for use against payment for a future itinerary, but you can't get cold hard cash back. (You can get cash back when canceling a nonrefundable ticket for many "real" taxes, which is probably what they're distinguishing from.)
I'd bet money this is the correct interpretation. They just mean the surcharge is subject to the same restrictions as the base fare. Which is just one more argument for the fact that it should just be part of the base fare to begin with. But that would make those 10% off coupons actually worth something meaningful. I'm surprised the corporates let them get away with it too as I imagine most corporate deals are for a % off the base fare only.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder if removing the new YR will be any easier?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is the current YQ policy on int'l non refundable fares regarding getting the YQ back?

I've never refunded a non-refundable int'l fare only refundable ones?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What is the current YQ policy on int'l non refundable fares regarding getting the YQ back?

I've never refunded a non-refundable int'l fare only refundable ones?
I have "refunded" a non-refundable international fare. You get the value you paid less $250 as a credit usable only by you. When you make your first purchase using some of that credit (which has to be used within a year), they issue a paper voucher good for another year with the remaining value. I am leaning towards BDA shorts's interpretation that you just can't get "cold hard cash" back. Even "non-refundable" tickets keep value (minus the change fee) if you cancel the ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:46 am

That is how I read it. It seems there is no change to policy, just a letter swap.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Some airlines use both YQ and YR, the former for fuel surcharges and the latter for insurance / security fees.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Some airlines use both YQ and YR, the former for fuel surcharges and the latter for insurance / security fees.
And on some tickets, to split between 2 airlines.
I.e. YYC-YVR-HKG will charge $7.50 YQ and $152.50 YR on WS/CX.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

My understanding is that the CX fuel surcharge is always YR.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How?

I thought all non-refundable tickets would only give you the residual value after the change fee, in the form of Voucher?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.