Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by danbrew
Hello everyone, I have a flight from LAX to HKG coming up in November (11/3, AA193) and am currently a Platinum+, meaning I can select the main cabin extra seats at no charge. I'm very much an aisle kind of guy, being a bigger guy it's helpful that I don't have two seatmates.

Having said that, there are no aisle seats left in the main cabin extra. From the pictograms below (from AA & from Seatguru.com), I'm wondering if the seats in Rows 16-19 are in fact wider? Said another way, should I take that middle seat, 19E, for the @15 hour flight or just stay put in 21D? I'm standing by for miles/paid upgrade to business, so hopefully that will work out. But just in case... which seat would give me more room? I'm going to do my best to snooze through the flight, so I'm not too concerned about the extra few inches of feet space and I won't be working on a laptop.

Thanks in advance!
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page and posts for some useful information. We have merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

Another option would be to select a seat now and keep watch to see if someone has moved to another flight or been upgraded.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by danbrew
Having said that, there are no aisle seats left in the main cabin extra. From the pictograms below (from AA & from Seatguru.com), I'm wondering if the seats in Rows 16-19 are in fact wider? Said another way, should I take that middle seat, 19E, for the @15 hour flight or just stay put in 21D? I'm standing by for miles/paid upgrade to business, so hopefully that will work out. But just in case... which seat would give me more room? I'm going to do my best to snooze through the flight, so I'm not too concerned about the extra few inches of feet space and I won't be working on a laptop.
I would suggest checking and rechecking in the week and days leading up to the flight.

Some upgrades may release seats in the area your are interested.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
We have selected seats 18JKL. Do they have limited recline as some seat maps suggest?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying HKG>DFW and chance of my eVIP clearing looks very low. I have 19E. Sounds like row 19 is preferred. Any advice on MCE versus another seat in the main cabin? My gut says to stick with 19E. I set a EF alert for seat openings.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA & jetBlue
I have been on only three AA 77W flights, two in J and once in Y. When it Y I was in row 38, but we had a middle seat empty. Anyway, the arm rest between seat B and C did not move. Is this the norm? If so why in the world would an arm rest between two seats not move. Made having an empty middle seat only a big positive for one of us and not both.

I ask as I am flying on it again this summer MIA-LHR. Thinking of using miles to upgrade (usually upgrade on the way back but flying BA back). But if I don't, want to know if its a specific row issue or all B/C J/K arm rest don't move?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:29 am

My take on 77W after 14 hours

Just flew 19H from HKG to DFW for ~14 hours. I would highly suggest rows 17, 18 and 19 seats D, E, or H. Let me explain why.

But first, why wouldn't I choose row 16? It's just too busy for me. On long flights which typically fly 77Ws, you'll have non-stop use of the bathroom and may want to sleep. Adding up the bathroom light, flushing, door opening, occasional smells and shutting all the time, that'd be too much for me. (Keep in mind it two bathrooms on each side.) I also value the tray table on long flights. In row 16, those are in the arm rest. If you have the tray out and the TV up (which is stowed below your seat), you can't leave your seat without putting those away. Without those up and if you don't mind the previously mentioned caveats, row 16 might be good for you. It provides lots of leg room especially seats B, C, J, and K.

Now back to the topic at hand. The aisle seats in rows 17 to 19 provide the optimal seat. They allow you to get up whenever you want. Offer plenty of leg room (note: I'm ~6'). The two fold tray table can stay down and still allows you to still leave the seat. TVs on the seat back require no extra space for use. You also have a good chance of not having to get up to let someone out. If you're a couple and take a middle and aisle, you'll be set with coming and going. If you're single, you'll have a chance the two next to are a couple. They probably will not ask you to move. I sat next to two gentlemen not together but was only asked to move once in 14 hours. Row 19 also has the added benefit of allowing you to put things like shoes or a small pack below your seat. I also found the overhead bin above 19H to be great for me. With just backpack and another small bag, I was able to stow all my belongings above and have complete freedom for my legs. The bathroom is close by as well as we discussed earlier.

I'd probably choose row 16 over window or aisle seats in ABC or JKL. For long trips, I'd feel pretty trapped in a window seat (typically my preferred position on planes). If you can sleep for 14 hours, go for it. These aisle seats may also require you to get up for two people. Not ideal either if you want to sleep. The middle seats in MCE seemed fine. I would have been okay in my original 19E seat but happy I snagged 19H for maximum mobility.

Before I end this post, just some general thoughts about the MCE cabin. It feels private and special. The plane has bulkheads between the MCE section and the MC section. 9 seats across is way better than 10. I walked through the MC a few times, it's noticeably tighter. With less seats in this section, there was plenty of overhead space too. Row 20 has restricted leg room and didn't look comfortable for anyone taller than 5'6". Row 31 has a ton of traffic around it with bathrooms and a galley. So net net, any MCE seat is likely a better experience than any seat in the MC.
355F1 and kaffir76 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by flymia
I have been on only three AA 77W flights, two in J and once in Y. When it Y I was in row 38, but we had a middle seat empty. Anyway, the arm rest between seat B and C did not move. Is this the norm? If so why in the world would an arm rest between two seats not move. Made having an empty middle seat only a big positive for one of us and not both.

I ask as I am flying on it again this summer MIA-LHR. Thinking of using miles to upgrade (usually upgrade on the way back but flying BA back). But if I don't, want to know if its a specific row issue or all B/C J/K arm rest don't move?
It does seem like the arm rests are locked. I couldn't move mine in row 19. Sounds like there might be a button at the back of the arm rest between it and the cushion that allows it to raise. That said, I wouldn't bet on empty seats. Airlines fill most seats these days. If you can secure the upgrade, you should.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mikebrooklyn
Just flew 19H from HKG to DFW for ~14 hours. I would highly suggest rows 17, 18 and 19 seats D, E, or H. Let me explain why.

But first, why wouldn't I choose row 16? It's just too busy for me. On long flights which typically fly 77Ws, you'll have non-stop use of the bathroom and may want to sleep. Adding up the bathroom light, flushing, door opening, occasional smells and shutting all the time, that'd be too much for me. (Keep in mind it two bathrooms on each side.) I also value the tray table on long flights. In row 16, those are in the arm rest. If you have the tray out and the TV up (which is stowed below your seat), you can't leave your seat without putting those away. Without those up and if you don't mind the previously mentioned caveats, row 16 might be good for you. It provides lots of leg room especially seats B, C, J, and K.

Now back to the topic at hand. The aisle seats in rows 17 to 19 provide the optimal seat. They allow you to get up whenever you want. Offer plenty of leg room (note: I'm ~6'). The two fold tray table can stay down and still allows you to still leave the seat. TVs on the seat back require no extra space for use. You also have a good chance of not having to get up to let someone out. If you're a couple and take a middle and aisle, you'll be set with coming and going. If you're single, you'll have a chance the two next to are a couple. They probably will not ask you to move. I sat next to two gentlemen not together but was only asked to move once in 14 hours. Row 19 also has the added benefit of allowing you to put things like shoes or a small pack below your seat. I also found the overhead bin above 19H to be great for me. With just backpack and another small bag, I was able to stow all my belongings above and have complete freedom for my legs. The bathroom is close by as well as we discussed earlier.

I'd probably choose row 16 over window or aisle seats in ABC or JKL. For long trips, I'd feel pretty trapped in a window seat (typically my preferred position on planes). If you can sleep for 14 hours, go for it. These aisle seats may also require you to get up for two people. Not ideal either if you want to sleep. The middle seats in MCE seemed fine. I would have been okay in my original 19E seat but happy I snagged 19H for maximum mobility.

Before I end this post, just some general thoughts about the MCE cabin. It feels private and special. The plane has bulkheads between the MCE section and the MC section. 9 seats across is way better than 10. I walked through the MC a few times, it's noticeably tighter. With less seats in this section, there was plenty of overhead space too. Row 20 has restricted leg room and didn't look comfortable for anyone taller than 5'6". Row 31 has a ton of traffic around it with bathrooms and a galley. So net net, any MCE seat is likely a better experience than any seat in the MC.
Nice seat review, thanks!
355F1 and mikebrooklyn like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Apparently N721AN has been retrofitted with Premium Economy in a 8F/52J/28W/216Y configuration. It appears that rows 16 and 17 of MCE have been removed to make way for Premium Economy and an extra seat installed in the center section of rows 18 and 19. This means MCE will have the same seat width as the rest of MC.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Swadian
Apparently N721AN has been retrofitted with Premium Economy in a 8F/52J/28W/216Y configuration. It appears that rows 16 and 17 of MCE have been removed to make way for Premium Economy and an extra seat installed in the center section of rows 18 and 19. This means MCE will have the same seat width as the rest of MC.
If the config is correct, it would probably mean Premium Economy would go in the space currently occupied by rows 16-19. The first two Y rows (along with row 31 and 33DEGH) would be MCE.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Ugh - I just got the dreaded EF seat seat alert for 135/136 in June and logged into aa.com - sure enough I had been moved due to the bird adding PE.

What is really interesting - is on the flight to LHR (which was way more full in MCE at time of booking - couldn't get row 16 which is usually a drop in the bucket) I was reassigned 18H which is 2-4-2 so I assume PE. There are about 6 other seats taken in PE and the rest are blocked per EF

However the fight to LAX put me back in first row of MCE - a row 20 bulkhead. All PE seating is blocked on that flight. So strange how they are doing this. To make things worse I upfared this one to hopefully use a BE upgrade cert.

I am really going to miss row 16 and its infinite legroom. Has anyone seen pics of the reconfigured plane yet? Curious to see what is now the best seat in MCE
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Ugh - I just got the dreaded EF seat seat alert for 135/136 in June and logged into aa.com - sure enough I had been moved due to the bird adding PE.

What is really interesting - is on the flight to LHR (which was way more full in MCE at time of booking - couldn't get row 16 which is usually a drop in the bucket) I was reassigned 18H which is 2-4-2 so I assume PE. There are about 6 other seats taken in PE and the rest are blocked per EF

However the fight to LAX put me back in first row of MCE - a row 20 bulkhead. All PE seating is blocked on that flight. So strange how they are doing this. To make things worse I upfared this one to hopefully use a BE upgrade cert.

I am really going to miss row 16 and its infinite legroom. Has anyone seen pics of the reconfigured plane yet? Curious to see what is now the best seat in MCE
I had a similar alert for my LAX-HKG-LAX trip next fall. Luckily I'm already confirmed into J using SWUs. I am curious that MCE appears to be 3-4-3 now instead of 3-3-3, which is a shame.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dciolli
I had a similar alert for my LAX-HKG-LAX trip next fall. Luckily I'm already confirmed into J using SWUs. I am curious that MCE appears to be 3-4-3 now instead of 3-3-3, which is a shame.
Interesting - I went in to check the same routing I am taking in the fall in paid J. Sure enough in EF the configuration my London flight is - however 16-19 are not blocked. I went to aa.com and sure enough they are now selling PE on that flight. Must have been loaded in overnight on the 77w
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I really hope there are some bugs in that coach seat map and it doesn't reflect the final MCE config
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am still confused how MCE fits in. It seems they took out the current MCE section and replaced it with PE. The seats in the back seem to be in the same density as they they started. Am I mis-counting a row in there or did they remove a row to somehow create a new 3-4-3 MCE cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.