Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mzb00
Flying GRU-DFW on the 77W next week in Y. Currently in 32K. I am reading 20AC are the more desirable seats in MCE, but both are blocked on EF. Does this mean they will remain so until airport check in? Or will they be released a few days before the flight?
Personally I would look to see what the upgrade cost to PE is. the 77W Y is not a comfortable option whatever seat you get.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nk15
Blocked all the way through and never released, IME, for long hauls.
Thanks, at least I know what to expect.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Personally I would look to see what the upgrade cost to PE is. the 77W Y is not a comfortable option whatever seat you get.
I would typically book in PE, but no P availability on this flight and only 1 seat in W so it ended up being very costly. I will inquire at check in, but not holding my breath.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by mzb00
Thanks, at least I know what to expect.

I would typically book in PE, but no P availability on this flight and only 1 seat in W so it ended up being very costly. I will inquire at check in, but not holding my breath.
This is about 10-hour flight?, any of the duo or MCE seats would be fine, no need for PE.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Triple -300ER LHR-DFW - is 32L a good seat?

Thanks to Mod for moving and solving my problem!

I have decided spontaneously to visit a friend in the States so I booked myself on LHR to DFW with AA. Paying myself this time so travelling coach but have at least MCE access.

I am wondering if seat 32L is a good seat? SeatGuru tells me that the row layout is a bit odd there - obviously next to the galley, or very close.
Given its a daylight I won't sleep and spend most of the time reading - so wondering if this seat is recommended? Keen to have a window and a bit more space (bulkhead is taken); I could only try to seat at 22A and hope no one will take the middle seat.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited by Duck1981; May 28, 2019 at 8:01 am Reason: Mod Move - problem solved :)
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
There is a review of 32L and photos of 32J, 32AC (the opposite side of JL) and 33 DEGH middle bulkhead just a few post above yours: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30856616-post801.html
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If seated in row 20, do I have to use the lavs by row 30 or can I use the lavs in front of 16 (though I get the feeling those lavs are really the back of J)? Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If seated in row 20, do I have to use the lavs by row 30 or can I use the lavs in front of 16 (though I get the feeling those lavs are really the back of J)? Thanks!
Crossing two cabins to use the lavs, sure, why not, life is short, live a little!
ralphs likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
there are two lavs on both aisles. There is a curtain that goes diagonally across each aisle that separates one of the lavs into the J cabin and other into the PE cabin. There is no curtain between Y and PE , so no impediment to using the lav curtained off for the PE cabin.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
First time 77W MIA-LAX in mid-September, rows 17 - 19 are considered MCE for my flight. Based on this thread, I selected 18A (personal preference for window seat).

I have a bunch of BE points expiring at the end of the year, contemplating an upgrade to business - should it become available (EF currently shows 0 C availability). Few F, J or W seats have been taken 3 months out, do not expect much of a load on a Thursday morning, during a slow time of the year. It is also a morning flight, less than 6 hours, not necessarily the best use of 650 BE points.

Comments?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
First time 77W MIA-LAX in mid-September, rows 17 - 19 are considered MCE for my flight. Based on this thread, I selected 18A (personal preference for window seat).

I have a bunch of BE points expiring at the end of the year, contemplating an upgrade to business - should it become available (EF currently shows 0 C availability). Few F, J or W seats have been taken 3 months out, do not expect much of a load on a Thursday morning, during a slow time of the year. It is also a morning flight, less than 6 hours, not necessarily the best use of 650 BE points.

Comments?
6 hours in F or J on the best plane AA offers. Points expiring.. it would be an easy choice for me.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
6 hours in F or J on the best plane AA offers. Points expiring.. it would be an easy choice for me.
I have a couple of questions, concerns:
1. Will a BE upgrade get me from MCE/PE (N fare bucket) to J or W? Agree it could make sense for the former, complete waste if the latter.
2. How likely is it for a LT PLT to end up with a sticker upgrade in such a scenario?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
How would you rate (in order of best to worst) the following: 20AC/KL vs. 32AC/JL vs. 33-35 middle section (the window/aisle preference notwithstanding)?
Quite a delayed response, but I personally prefer 32 over the others, even with the slightly offset entertainment screens. The bulkheads (20 and 33) have the flip up tray tables and TVs so the seat is slightly narrower and the armrest can't be raised which bothers me a bit. I suppose the aisles of 34 and 35 could be best given my criteria, but I'm a window person.
gary_nj likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Seat Advice, Please! AA192 HKG-LAX

I am flying HKG-LAX next week and torn between sitting in the bulkhead (20J) and exit row (31J).

I've read that there is more space in the exit row but that its proximity to the bathrooms is troubling, as people tend to wait/congregate in your space.

Never flown this route before, unsure which to reserve.

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I am often on this flight and have done it in MCE. I have usually found people go for 20J and get it before I can reserve it and it does look the better seat when I have been aboard.

I have tended to go for the 31J if 20J is not available, but yes there does tend to be quite a bit of activity in this area because of washrooms and galley. The saving grace is the seat is inset, and given the narrow aisles on the AA 77W sitting in a standard aisle seat in MCE/Y means a lot of bumps.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Yeah, I grabbed 20J so I think I'll stay where I am. I read reviews elsewhere, though, that there isn't a whole lot of extra space in front of you. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks so much for this information, it's greatly appreciated.

There has been no upgrade inventory for the last 2 months (I've got an alert set on ExpertFlyer) but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade opportunity at check-in or at the gate... Hard to understand how AA plays that game, business is still showing J7 R7 D7 I7 .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.