Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Aa 777-300 lhr -> lax

Last year I jumped on cheap tickets to LAX for the family in the hope I could use points to upgrade to business. Being new to the game and not having done my research, I quickly found I couldn't upgrade.

Anyway, in an attempt to make the best of my mistake, Ive purchased seats in the MCE - row 35 middle. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this seating and whether or not I makes any real difference?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
Last year I jumped on cheap tickets to LAX for the family in the hope I could use points to upgrade to business. Being new to the game and not having done my research, I quickly found I couldn't upgrade.

Anyway, in an attempt to make the best of my mistake, Ive purchased seats in the MCE - row 35 middle. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this seating and whether or not I makes any real difference?
Yes, given that the 77W is a staple in the AA longhaul fleet there are oodles of tips pointers and such in the below thread...

FrogTastic likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by williamvdh
Any reviews on 33DEGH, 34DEGH and 35DEGH MCE seats? I have the choice between all those seats on 33 and 35, did choose 35 now because we don't like the bulkhead seats because of the lesser width of the seats.
Ive booked the same for June of this year. Have you flown in those seats yet and if so, anything to report?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Booked an ultra-cheap YYZ-JFK-GRU return that was available last week (C$540, U$390) for early April. As a OWEmerald (just AAGold these days after many years as ExecPlat) I was able to book comp MCE seating.

I've seen virtually nothing detailed about the middle bank of rows 33-35 MCE here (other than the observation that there is indeed more leg room). As I hate bulkheads and prefer and aisle seat, I've opted for 34 aisle middle bank on each side (going/return). Not sure how they manage this and keep the non-MCE seats on the 3-side banks sync'd. Anyone have a photo of this bank of seats? (I really liked the original MCE mini-cabin on these planes, so unsure how the "open cabin" approach works out.)

Hoping AA will have introduced a PE upgrade by the time I travel that I might take advantage of. Not sure the co-pay from an O fare to J is worth the cost but to PE might be worth a try of that product.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Have not flown AA for some time. Have a flight next month on the 77W LHR-DFW AA51. Fair choice of seats currently in economy. Any suggestions? Have read the thread and picked up a few tips already but wonder if there is any current thinking or advice anyone can offer. Seat map attached. Thank you.

AA51
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:00 pm

Just sat down in 32L. First impression, extra leg room and it being a two set is nice. The two seats in front are slightly offset, so if you plan on using IFE that's a little annoying. Bonus is you get two windows. Row 31 has to look behind to see outside.

I have been in row 20 before and I prefer this seat.

I took a photo of row 33 center but couldn't get the full group of MCE without being a weirdo. They definitely have extra leg room, the seat map is deceiving. Basically, rows 33-35 take up the space of 3.5 normal rows. 33 middle is set ahead of row 33 on the sides despite what the seat map might imply.

Row 33 on AA777W
econometrics and nk15 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
* deleted *

Last edited by screwedbyaa; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:13 am Reason: forgot to include the post I was referencing
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Is Row 30 MCE? And in any event, anyone know why it's blocked?

Also, any real difference between 33C and 33D, aside from 33D being marked MCE?

I am disabled and want to be seated near the lav and be able to get to the lav without disrupting others and minimal disruption of me when others need to get up.

Thanks!

Last edited by HofstraJet; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:04 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
Just sat down in 32L. First impression, extra leg room and it being a two set is nice. The two seats in front are slightly offset, so if you plan on using IFE that's a little annoying. Bonus is you get two windows. Row 31 has to look behind to see outside.

I have been in row 20 before and I prefer this seat.

I took a photo of row 33 center but couldn't get the full group of MCE without being a weirdo. They definitely have extra leg room, the seat map is deceiving. Basically, rows 33-35 take up the space of 3.5 normal rows. 33 middle is set ahead of row 33 on the sides despite what the seat map might imply.
How would you rate (in order of best to worst) the following: 20AC/KL vs. 32AC/JL vs. 33-35 middle section (the window/aisle preference notwithstanding)?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver/KL Silver/SQ Silver/AZ Premium
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
Ive booked the same for June of this year. Have you flown in those seats yet and if so, anything to report?
They are indeed MCE seats with the extra leg room.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
How would you rate (in order of best to worst) the following: 20AC/KL vs. 32AC/JL vs. 33-35 middle section (the window/aisle preference notwithstanding)?
I have only flown 20ac, but I would rate them in the order you listed them...this would be my desired order.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I have only flown 20ac, but I would rate them in the order you listed them...this would be my desired order.
Having already taken my flight, I agree with your assessment. In my view, 20AC/KL are – by far – the best seats in economy. The other MCE seats are only marginally better than the normal (miserable) seats. In 20AC/KL you have virtually unlimited legroom, nobody in front, and relative privacy (vis-a-vis the galley). For the record, the centre seats in row 20 have good legroom, too, but they were absolutely used as corridors by other pax throughout the flight. Maybe you can put your carryon there and put up your legs to discourage this, but it's stressful at best.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
Having already taken my flight, I agree with your assessment. In my view, 20AC/KL are – by far – the best seats in economy. The other MCE seats are only marginally better than the normal (miserable) seats. In 20AC/KL you have virtually unlimited legroom, nobody in front, and relative privacy (vis-a-vis the galley). For the record, the centre seats in row 20 have good legroom, too, but they were absolutely used as corridors by other pax throughout the flight. Maybe you can put your carryon there and put up your legs to discourage this, but it's stressful at best.
I agree, 20ACKL are a mini cabin basically, lol. Good point about the center row 20 seats, and definitely carry ons will be placed as footstools there, but in a brutal TPAC I guess all bets are off, lol...
Old May 16, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Flying GRU-DFW on the 77W next week in Y. Currently in 32K. I am reading 20AC are the more desirable seats in MCE, but both are blocked on EF. Does this mean they will remain so until airport check in? Or will they be released a few days before the flight?
Old May 16, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzb00
Flying GRU-DFW on the 77W next week in Y. Currently in 32K. I am reading 20AC are the more desirable seats in MCE, but both are blocked on EF. Does this mean they will remain so until airport check in? Or will they be released a few days before the flight?
Blocked all the way through and never released, IME, for long hauls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.