Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:29 am

I am looking at a flight from LHR to DFW on Flight 79, a 777w. We are a family of five. Our two oldest sons and my husband are all around 6ft tall...should we choose seats in bulkhead middle row 20 and one of the side seats in row 20,?
Or the middle bulkhead for me, husband and little guy in row 33 with two big sons in row 32?
Or should we do 3 in row 33 and 2 in row 34 middle?
These are all supposed to be main cabin extra. Do the bulkheads in rows 20 and 33 center have the same legroom?
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by loveparis; Oct 15, 2018 at 9:45 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by loveparis
I am looking at a flight from LHR to DFW on Flight 79, a 777w. We are a family of five. Our two oldest sons and my husband are all around 6ft tall...should we choose seats in bulkhead middle row 20 and one of the side seats in row 20,?
Or the middle bulkhead for me, husband and little guy in row 33 with two big sons in row 32?
Or should we do 3 in row 33 and 2 in row 34 middle?
These are all supposed to be main cabin extra. Do the bulkheads in rows 20 and 33 center have the same legroom?
Thanks for any help!

Someone posted earlier in the thread that Row 20 bulkhead is a "fake" bulkhead to separate PE from Economy with basically unlimited leg room under the divider. Row 33 is a real bulkhead row (the galley is in front of 33) so leg room is likely to be limited.

Here is Row 20 again...

Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:25 pm

After seeing the pictures of row 20, I am okay that my wife chose 20J and 20L for us. We're both 5'11" and that extra legroom from LAX-LHR looks decent without spending a small fortune to upgrade.....but may still look into that! Thanks @bzcat!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I had the person sitting in the rearmost window seat of PE yesterday reach back behind the divider to shut the first window blind of the person in 20K.

20J is a nice seat and yes you can put your feet under the partition to stretch out nicely.

Seems strange having the PE cabin so open. You're practically in it and there's no curtain separation at all.

Good location for toilets as well as they're at the front of the PE cabin and next door at the back of the business cabin. Not too far to walk and you don't get people congregating by your seat.

Only real issue was with the screen on the wall sometimes brightening dramatically on certain moving map screens.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 24, 2018 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by tjcxx
I flew AA107 yesterday in the 77W in J, and had time when I boarded to get a good look at MCE and PE.

MCE:
Row 20 bulkhead. The bulkhead is just a partition, and has a decent gap at floor level, meaning tall people have extra foot room. (photo post 776)
Row 31 exit row. Like row 31 on all 777s, endless leg room but the door protrusion. (photos post 773)
Row 32. Window/aisle pairs, definitely do have extra leg room.
Row 33 centre block bulkhead. This a proper bulkhead so no extra foot room.
Row 34 and 35 centre block. I was able to confirm these two part-rows do indeed have extra legroom. This hadn't been explicitly confirmed here, I believe. How they've done it is not clear.

PE: (first time I've actually seen the PE seats)
Row 16 exit window pairs, endless leg room, centre block bulkhead, quite decent legroom but it is a full bulkhead.
Row 17, 18, 19. My wife flew in the centre block of these rows a couple of times and her main comment is the poor spacing of the seat supports for the row in front. I assume they had to make the seat rows fit the floor which was originally set up for 3-3-3 Y, but it leaves the seat supports right where you want to put your feet.
Excellent info. I am routing thru DFW on AA21 next week returning from LHR in Premium for the first time since the 77Ws were reconfigured. Its not a paid business trip in J so I’m waiting for a SWU for the trip over and will probably get it. Don’t see the value blowing a SWU or copay for the return.

From your pics, row 20 MCE looks pretty good, actually. But I’m in 16 as you can see. From your assessment, even though I can move to 17C, an aisle, I think I’ll stay put. I don’t move around a lot even on long hauls, so I may be better off with the bulkhead in the middle..

Thoughts?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:07 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Flew LHR-LAX a few days ago with Mrs. BLG in 32A&C. They were a good choice, I think the best for couples unless one or both are very tall and need exit rows. The exit row in front blocks the problems of the lavs and the galley. It was surprisingly comfortable and I'd take them again if I wasn't able to get J for whatever reasons.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:37 pm

Flew LAX-LHR in 20C last week. I think if leg room is the primarily concern, I will choose this seat over any PE seat. It's not great for sleeping because the fixed screen showing the flight map is right in your face but at least you are not folded up like a pretzel like the rest of the Y cabin. The 2 seats configuration also offers some relief (maybe just psychologically) from the rest of the 3/4/3 Y cabin. The PE seats are wider but they don't offer as much leg room as row 20.

You should book PE if you value the J cabin food and early boarding (not an issue if you have status anyway). But if you just want adequate leg room without paying an arm or leg (yes, that was an attempted pun), row 20 is the way to go.

I had 20J on the other side coming back but upgrades cleared and I was ever so thankful

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 1, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
The PE seats are wider but they don't offer as much leg room as row 20.
20B/K are great Y seats, but definitely not > a PE seat. It's 1.5" narrower, and you have about 2" of shared space between you and your seat mate next to you, whereas PE has much more personal space.

16A/C, J/L also have considerable legroom. And at some point, how much legroom does one need?

But... YMMV.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

I can only speak for myself because I'm 6 ft/180cm tall and not very wide... the extra width on PE seat is nice but I rather have the leg room on long haul. I've never been in Row 16 but my experience with non-exit row PE is kind of meh.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by bzcat
I can only speak for myself because I'm 6 ft/180cm tall and not very wide... the extra width on PE seat is nice but I rather have the leg room on long haul. I've never been in Row 16 but my experience with non-exit row PE is kind of meh.

Exactly my opinion. I always take exit row over any PE/E+/Comfort offering, extra pitch always over extra width for me (but then I'm not wide).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am torn between choosing 32A or 31L. Do both of these rows 31 and 32 recline?
I usually prefer the exit row window and put my rolling tote as a footstool that works amazingly, here I see the exit door protrusion but it seems slight, I should still be able to use my tote as footstool, methinks...Or I can use it in 32A, but it may not have enough space for a real stretch...Opinions? I am average height.

Last edited by nk15; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
The wiki is wrong?

I picked 32D for now and waiting for SWU to clear... i guess it has extra leg room but only 171. width?

which seat have both width and pitch? (row 20?)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dtc
So I know MC/Economy is a bit tight. Has anyone seen a car seat fit in them?
I will find out this Satuday DFW-LHR.
tindallm likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I am torn between choosing 32A or 31L. Do both of these rows 31 and 32 recline?
I usually prefer the exit row window and put my rolling tote as a footstool that works amazingly, here I see the exit door protrusion but it seems slight, I should still be able to use my tote as footstool, methinks...Or I can use it in 32A, but it may not have enough space for a real stretch...Opinions? I am average height.
Scroll up a bit to this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30266702-post773.html

My personal opinion is the door protrusion disqualifies it as MCE but some people probably won't mind.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
The wiki is wrong?

I picked 32D for now and waiting for SWU to clear... i guess it has extra leg room but only 171. width?

which seat have both width and pitch? (row 20?)
20A/C D, G, and J/L have fixed armrest which further reduces the width. 20E/F have movable armrest and thus standard width, and unlimited legroom (under the fake bulk head partition) but no aisle access. So pick your poison...

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 21, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.