Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: serfty
Wiki Link
77Ws are all having Premium Economy seats installed behind Business Class (rows 16-19). Note this may create confusion and involuntary reseating for those holding Main Cabin Extra and Economy front rows.

See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.


Seatback IFE and Power(AA gallery - link)

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:[/B]


Main Cabin Extra
  • Rows 16-19, more seat pitch and slightly wider, in a 3 x 3 x 3 configuration 18.5" width and 36" pitch)
  • Row 16 has the most seat pitch, is an exit row with some minor door intrusion and colder for A and L seats. Some believe 16 J or C are the best of the best.
Main Cabin / Economy
  • 20-44, mostly in 3 x 4 x 3 configuration (17" width, 31" pitch)
  • Row 31 is the exit row and can be cold
  • Rows 30-32 (galley and lav block between them)
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs.

Main Cabin c/o Airline Reporter link

Linkto general thread discussing MCE rollout and eligibility


Originally Posted by timfucius View Post
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.



31 J/L


31 A/B



Galley view


Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised 01 Oct by serfty
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 4, 18, 4:30 pm
  #736  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 20,857
Originally Posted by Andi28 View Post
I have been in this seat 22J, there is no seat in front of you so your screen is in the armrest making the seat slightly smaller, a word of caution, yes there is a lot of leg room if you stretch out your legs you tend to get accidentally kicked by passengers walking back as the aisle suddenly gets smaller and the food/beverage cart is also a danger of bumping into you
Thankyou - looks like the old exit row "White Socks" trick may be appropriate.

Did you get any idea of the legroom in bulkhead row 20?
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 6:49 pm
  #737  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: AA EXP/1mm, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Thankyou - looks like the old exit row "White Socks" trick may be appropriate.

Did you get any idea of the legroom in bulkhead row 20?
What is the "White Socks" trick?
EDIwanderer likes this.
uscjeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 7:47 pm
  #738  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 20,857
Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
What is the "White Socks" trick?
White (or light coloured) shoes/sock/runners on you feet make a world of difference. Wandering PAX can see you feet even if they don't notice them (subliminal). It generally means your feet get trodden on less.

It's an old exit row trick I first learned from @og who frequents a few FT fora.
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 18, 8:15 pm
  #739  
mgm
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Posts: 1,016
Originally Posted by Andi28 View Post
I have been in this seat 22J, there is no seat in front of you so your screen is in the armrest making the seat slightly smaller, a word of caution, yes there is a lot of leg room if you stretch out your legs you tend to get accidentally kicked by passengers walking back as the aisle suddenly gets smaller and the food/beverage cart is also a danger of bumping into you
Thanks for the info Andi28. Think I will give one of these seats a try on my next flight.
mgm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:21 pm
  #740  
BLG
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SBA & LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Posts: 1,104
I have never flown in the back of the 77W so I need some help in choosing MCE seats. I had asked these questions in another thread that ended up getting stuck in a thread about PE, so I would like to ask my questions here where they belong...Apologies to Mods...not trying to do your job -- just trying to get some feedback. Thanks.

I have to admit to being spoiled by having been able to do all of my 77W flights in J (including the upcoming LAX-LHR leg), so I have no experience with MCE choices on that plane but it will be MCE coming back (LHR-LAX) so I have some questions now on MCE seat choices in the 77W. I will be flying with Mrs. BLG. I have read conflicting accounts so here are my questions...I could get 31AB or 31KL (Seatguru says L is missing a window) or I could get 32AB...(32KL are taken ). From what I've read no one seems to like the Row 20 bulkhead seats. Or I could take two aisle seats one behind the other in Rows 34 and 35 (again avoiding the 33 bulkheads). I read in a post somewhere some comments that the 31 exit row seats could be cold....any truth? Would really appreciate getting informed thoughts.
BLG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 18, 4:23 am
  #741  
mgm
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Posts: 1,016
We don't seem to have a lot of information at this point as to what the bulkhead seats are like after the reconfig. (I'm planning to have a look in early July when I fly in 22C and will report back if no else has beforehand). While they are labelled as MCE, I'd be worried that the bulkhead seats would actually not have that much extra legroom.

I've done the exit rows on the 777 many times. I don't worry about having a window but YMMV. As for if it gets cold, it didn't bother me overly. However, it really depends on how you dress for the flight. Shorts & sandals might not be the best idea. It has been a while since I've been on an AA 777 flight so I don't know if they still give out blankets in the main cabin. If not, consider taking your own.

Personally, legroom is my main selection criteria. For my upcoming flights I had selected the exit rows. But having heard the report above from Andi28, I decided to give 22C a try. It should have the same legroom as the exit row, but it has the advantage of being close to the front of the main cabin and theoretically allowing me to disembark somewhat quicker. The major disadvantage of course is that there is a window and middle seat passenger potentially needing to get by you during the flight.
mgm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 18, 1:04 pm
  #742  
BLG
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SBA & LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
We don't seem to have a lot of information at this point as to what the bulkhead seats are like after the reconfig. (I'm planning to have a look in early July when I fly in 22C and will report back if no else has beforehand). While they are labelled as MCE, I'd be worried that the bulkhead seats would actually not have that much extra legroom.

I've done the exit rows on the 777 many times. I don't worry about having a window but YMMV. As for if it gets cold, it didn't bother me overly. However, it really depends on how you dress for the flight. Shorts & sandals might not be the best idea. It has been a while since I've been on an AA 777 flight so I don't know if they still give out blankets in the main cabin. If not, consider taking your own.

Personally, legroom is my main selection criteria. For my upcoming flights I had selected the exit rows. But having heard the report above from Andi28, I decided to give 22C a try. It should have the same legroom as the exit row, but it has the advantage of being close to the front of the main cabin and theoretically allowing me to disembark somewhat quicker. The major disadvantage of course is that there is a window and middle seat passenger potentially needing to get by you during the flight.
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been struck at how little response this post has gotten -- usually when you ask about which are the best seats on FT everyone has an opinion and wants to share it :-) I think you're right -- the problem in getting information in this case seems to be that it's a relatively new configuration and there's not that much experience with it yet.

Given that I'm flying with Mrs. BLG I'm starting to give more consideration to 32A/B -- Here's my thinking -- She is only 5'1" and I'm only 5'8" so max legroom is not our biggest issue. We tend to prefer the screens being in the back of the seats in front and having the ability to keep items under seats. Obviously we like the thought of two-across with a window. I realize that there will be galley noise issues, and that's an issue -- how much of a concern I don't know? It appears that in this new configuration that 32A/B backs on to a bulkhead but I'm not absolutely certain of that...Is that actually open space between 32 and 33 or is there a bulkhead behind 32? If there is a bulkhead behind 32 is there any chance of less than full recline? if it's open space will it be nuts will galley activity? Thanks for whatever info anyone can provide.
BLG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 18, 1:19 pm
  #743  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: AA EXP/1mm, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
White (or light coloured) shoes/sock/runners on you feet make a world of difference. Wandering PAX can see you feet even if they don't notice them (subliminal). It generally means your feet get trodden on less.

It's an old exit row trick I first learned from @og who frequents a few FT fora.
Great tip - thanks!
uscjeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:31 pm
  #744  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Posts: 11,329
Sorry I didn't discovered this thread earlier. Was in PE 77W two days ago and would have checked out rows 20-22 had I known about this thread.
seawolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:16 am
  #745  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,700
Recent posts about Premium Economy seats have been moved to this thread: AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service

/Moderator
JY1024 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 18, 3:20 am
  #746  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SAN, MIA, GOT
Posts: 273
What is legspace like for bulkhead row 20? This is the current seatmap for my flight. Would you recommend to choose other seats than selected?
DreamTrip is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 18, 11:20 pm
  #747  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DEN, LAS, SIN
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 918
How did 32AC become a MCE seat when it previously wasn't?
ckx2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 18, 5:41 pm
  #748  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by DreamTrip View Post
What is legspace like for bulkhead row 20? This is the current seatmap for my flight. Would you recommend to choose other seats than selected?
I think we are all waiting for someone to fly this plane in its new config for a reply.
EDIwanderer likes this.
ralphs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 18, 9:57 pm
  #749  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 4,867
I'll let you know on Tuesday,,,
IADCAflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 18, 11:35 pm
  #750  
mgm
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Posts: 1,016
Row 20 Info

Flew JFK-LHR earlier this week. Row 20 does indeed seem to be true MCE seating. From what I could see there was plenty of legroom and if you are extra tall the bulkhead does not go all the way down to the floor. So there are spaces to tuck your feet into if needed,

My seat (22C) on the other hand was not a good choice despite having theoretically the best legroom. I got trampled on constantly by the guy in row 21 getting in and out of his seat every 30 minutes or so. I tried the trick of making my feet as visible as possible by wearing white socks, to no avail, lol. It seemed that even if I did not stretch out my feet this guy would still find a way to stomp on them. Itís also a tight squeeze for the cabin crew to manoeuvre the carts so I was knocked by them several times during the service.

My recommendation would be to get a seat in row 20 if you can. Failing that, the exit row seats in row 31. I would not recommend seats 22C or 22J.

Here are some pics:



20 A & C




Row 20 centre seats




22C - not recommended

Last edited by mgm; Jul 4, 18 at 11:48 pm
mgm is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: