Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Old May 28, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is not due to the extra segment but due to the carrier surcharge

Where a ticket has a fare of zero , only the $5.60 tax is charged
Where a ticket has a non zero fare. the other taxes are charged too

The carrier surcharge is a fare component rather than a tax

By including a BA sector for which there are carrier surcharges, then the ticket no longer has a fare of zero and so the other taxes become due
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
The BA site shows me the business class ticket I want on Iberia as "2 available" for 10 May 2018, but the nice man on the phone from American says he cannot book a ticket that far in advance. Thoughts? Should I be concerned that the fact there are only 2 available today means I could be out of like in 16 days when I can book this via AA?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:27 pm

Does Iberia ever open more J award space at later dates if none is currently showing?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Clay_C.
The BA site shows me the business class ticket I want on Iberia as "2 available" for 10 May 2018, but the nice man on the phone from American says he cannot book a ticket that far in advance. Thoughts? Should I be concerned that the fact there are only 2 available today means I could be out of like in 16 days when I can book this via AA?
AA has a restriction in that it only permits booking 330 days in advance ; airlines such as BA and QF allow bookings up to 355 days in advance. If there are 2 available now , then they may be gone depending on what bookings IB receive in next 2 weeks.

Is there availability on days around that or is this just a single day with availability? also , if you look at dates 2 weeks earlier, how is availability - those may give you an idea of how likely the seats are to go
Old May 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

AA has a restriction in that it only permits booking 330 days in advance ; airlines such as BA and QF allow bookings up to 355 days in advance. If there are 2 available now , then they may be gone depending on what bookings IB receive in next 2 weeks.

Is there availability on days around that or is this just a single day with availability? also , if you look at dates 2 weeks earlier, how is availability - those may give you an idea of how likely the seats are to go

Thank you! On one hand, it looks like there is availability a lot of days in April...on the other hand mid May is probably a bit more desirable.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AOPA
Connecting at LHR triggers YQ

I guess this is well know but it still sucks.

waw-lhr $13.7 taxes/fees. No YQ.
but if you book
waw-lhr-ord, AA metal on the 2nd leg, it then triggers a $40 ba YQ. the connection at LHR triggers the YQ.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25

but if you book
waw-lhr-ord, AA metal on the 2nd leg, it then triggers a $40 ba YQ. the connection at LHR triggers the YQ.

You will avoid the APD of GBP75/GBP150 though , so will come out better than booking separately
Old May 30, 2017, 6:56 pm

You will avoid the APD of GBP75/GBP150 though , so will come out better than booking separately
Thanks!

its 3 saver J on AA metal 240x3
Old May 31, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by teddy25

but if you book
I don't believe the $40 charge is YQ. I see it stated as the LHR passenger service charge. Enjoy a privately operated airport! Public-private partnership!

From aa.com:

Adult fare, taxes and carrier-imposed fees

Base fare $0.00 USD
Per person
CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $32.00 USD
AIRPORT TAX (POLAND) $16.00 USD
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE (POLAND) $0.10 USD
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE (UNITED KINGDOM) $40.10 USD
TRANSPORTATION TAX (UNITED STATES) $18.00 USD
US APHIS USER FEE (UNITED STATES) $3.96 USD
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE (UNITED STATES) $7.00 USD
US CUSTOMS USER FEE (UNITED STATES) $5.50 USD
Total Adult taxes and carrier-imposed fees $122.66 USD
Per person
Old May 31, 2017, 6:21 am

Unless recently changed, AA definitely did impose YQ for european sectors on BA for a transatlantic journey even though BA would not charge YQ for a standalone booking; is that a breakdown for an award journey?

Passenger service charge would apply even for a standalone LHR-ORD

Checking for a business class award WAW-ORD via LHR using BA-AA, the breakdown shows

Taxes $90.66
Carrier-Imposed Fees $40.00

with the taxes broken down as

and

CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $40.00 USD

In your breakdown it even showed CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $32.00 USD - which is what AA applies in economy class

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 31, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old May 31, 2017, 7:58 am

YQ on a connection only. BA does it because they can.

Confirmed with the rate desk, the YQ is triggered by the connection.

Unless recently changed, AA definitely did impose YQ for european sectors on BA for a transatlantic journey even though BA would not charge YQ for a standalone booking; is that a breakdown for an award journey?

Passenger service charge would apply even for a standalone LHR-ORD

Checking for a business class award WAW-ORD via LHR using BA-AA, the breakdown shows

Taxes $90.66
Carrier-Imposed Fees $40.00

with the taxes broken down as

and

CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $40.00 USD

In your breakdown it even showed CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $32.00 USD - which is what AA applies in economy class
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:04 pm

Got tagged for $131 on a one way business class from MAD to ORD on Iberia.

On the upside, I was shocked to be able to accomplish this transaction quickly on AA.com...and I had forgotten about getting 10% back instantly, so that was a nice little bonus.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Had my first experience with Level (the new IAG LCC). Was able to put an economy award on hold, 30k miles for BCN-OAK with $60 taxes plus $67 in carrier imposed fees. I have an anytime award on AA metal (788 w eco+ seats) for 60k miles with only $46 in taxes. Also have DUS-JFK/EWR-SEA in biz on hold, at 57.5k miles it seems like the best deal on miles, but it has $90 in taxes and necessitates a JFK-EWR xfer and an overnight in EWR.
Can't be too choosy on last minute summer travel!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Got tagged for $131 on a one way business class from MAD to ORD on Iberia.

On the upside, I was shocked to be able to accomplish this transaction quickly on AA.com...and I had forgotten about getting 10% back instantly, so that was a nice little bonus.
It looks like the carrier imposed fees on that are just $67. That compares to $184 on BA-metal LHR-ORD.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It looks like the carrier imposed fees on that are just $67. That compares to $184 on BA-metal LHR-ORD.
Oh I know, the out of pocket is pretty much a third of what I would have to pay on BA...and not having to connect through LHR is priceless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.