Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
First, how is this costing you 320K miles (i.e., 160K miles per person)? A roundtrip should be 150K miles per person.

I second the recommendation to look at QR, connecting through DOH. With QR, sometimes your routing is limited. In this case, it looks like you can have JNB-LVI on the same award, since QR publishes a LAX-LVI fare, but looking at the fare rules, you might be limited to the LAX-DOH, BOS-DOH, and PHL-DOH flights across the Atlantic (although I've been able to book routings that EF suggests is not possible). In my experience, QR transatlantic business class is tough to find if you are looking to depart on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

If QR doesn't work for you, a possible but more expensive option (in points) would be going via the Pacific (at least one way). It would be multiple awards, but CX, for example, generally has more flexible routing rules. It would be 125K one-way per person in J if you combine a NA-India with an India-Africa award, 140K miles if you want to skip India and go straight from Asia 2 to Africa (it's the same number of miles NA-India as it is NA-Asia 2 but more expensive going from Asia 2-Africa than India-Africa).
My mistake - I HAVE 320K miles. IIRC, you are correct about it being 75K. The Award Agent said she could not find any availability from May to August 2018 to JNB QR.

I like your NA-India-Africa idea, but my mileage balance does not. Unless buying 180K AA Miles would BE significantly lower than the taxes. If that's even possible?

I'll look into that this evening (I am on PST) and a dinner event I have to attend but, like any true FT'er I would rather be researching this!

Thanks for your suggestion. I, too, will report back.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If taking BA, I would consider whether it is worth just saving the miles for another trip and buying a ticket on BA from LVI-LAX

The one way fare from LVI-LAX is $3222 , so an extra $2487 over the award price

If holding no status, the mileage earned from the trip would be 11,669 base plus 2918 bonus for 14,587 ( if holding status would be bonuses to add )

75,000+15000 = 90,000 points

Cost to buy 90,000 points is $2027 in the current promotion, so you are saving $460. If comparing value against purchase price outside of sale, it would cost $2,884.13

On a paid ticket you will have a lot more flexibility on flights and could have stopovers if desired; plus if aiming to attain/renew status, this would earn 17,503 EQMs

If you have another transatlantic trip to do, you could get LVI-LAX-LHR for an extra $2000

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For discussion on and important information about AA Awards on Qatar Airways, please read https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.

/Moderator
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Justme123456
My mistake - I HAVE 320K miles. IIRC, you are correct about it being 75K. The Award Agent said she could not find any availability from May to August 2018 to JNB QR.

I like your NA-India-Africa idea, but my mileage balance does not. Unless buying 180K AA Miles would BE significantly lower than the taxes. If that's even possible?

I'll look into that this evening (I am on PST) and a dinner event I have to attend but, like any true FT'er I would rather be researching this!

Thanks for your suggestion. I, too, will report back.
Forgot to mention another option. IB flies MAD-JNB a few times a week. Last year, JNB-(IB)-MAD-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-SFO was $168.76 in taxes and fees for me.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
I also looked into booking IB to SFO but the taxes and fees were just as high as BA...why is SFO on par with BA when other routes have lower YQ?
Probably because the SFO_MAD_SFO nonstop is new. Seems like they are applying the BA rules to this.
Totally stinks.
beachfan likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Award to EDI on AA/BA

Currently in MDE, which is a tricky to link with the rest of SA. So we’re going to get a little crazy and head to Europe instead.

Have an award on hold: MDE-BOS-EDI (40k miles pp + $400)

Both MDE-BOS (17.5k) and BOS-EDI (22.5k) are saver awards, so I feel good about the miles...but the carrier imposed fees are steep!

Can I get rid of the BA metal and lower the fees? How? Yes I’m dumb for getting the close in booking fee so $75 of that $400 is not going anywhere! Thanks all!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JordyC
Currently in MDE, which is a tricky to link with the rest of SA. So we’re going to get a little crazy and head to Europe instead.

Both MDE-BOS (17.5k) and BOS-EDI (22.5k) are saver awards, so I feel good about the miles...but the carrier imposed fees are steep!

Can I get rid of the BA metal and lower the fees? How? Yes I’m dumb for getting the close in booking fee so $75 of that $400 is not going anywhere! Thanks all!
I can’t imagine ditching the YQ fees unless you can find AA metal alternatives transatlantic. The domestic (e.g. LHR-EDI) fees would be much lower.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JordyC

Did you check availability on IB MDE/BOG-MAD-LON? If available, surcharges might be lower than on BA. And remember, you have up to 24 hours to connect in MAD.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:32 pm

AUS to HYD using AA miles (trying to avoid huge BA YQ fees)

I am new to this forum and from all the research I have done on reddit while trying to book flights from AUS-HYD using AA miles, going through BA flight seems to add lot of fees (~$500) in terms of london airport usage fees I assume. I tried to circumvent this by trying to find award flights on Qatar airways using AA website by choosing individual legs like AUS-DOH and DOH-HYD. Even this seems to add lot of fees (~$600).
I tried booking for a date which is 6 months later to just see if it reduces any fees but it did not.

Can you guys tell me how to go about this?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saiteja230
I am new to this forum and from all the research I have done on reddit while trying to book flights from AUS-HYD using AA miles, going through BA flight seems to add lot of fees (~$500) in terms of london airport usage fees I assume. I tried to circumvent this by trying to find award flights on Qatar airways using AA website by choosing individual legs like AUS-DOH and DOH-HYD. Even this seems to add lot of fees (~$600).
I tried booking for a date which is 6 months later to just see if it reduces any fees but it did not.

Can you guys tell me how to go about this?
An award flight on BA with AA ff miles has BA carrier imposed surcharges. UK airport fees on a transit are not high or that much different to other countries.
Via DOH will be 2 awards

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...advantage-733/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on

AA forum BA IB Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
An award flight on BA with AA ff miles has BA carrier imposed surcharges. UK airport fees on a transit are not high or that much different to other countries.
Via DOH will be 2 awards
That's not correct. It's one award through DOH on QR.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's not correct. It's one award through DOH on QR.
How do I book it as one award? Do I call AA and tell them explicitly that I need a flight thru DOH to get to HYD?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do I book it as one award? Do I call AA and tell them explicitly that I need a flight thru DOH to get to HYD?
AA forum QR thread:- QR / Qatar Airways oneworld Partner: Earn and Redeem AA Miles Click to open the wiki
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The aa.com website does not support award bookings on many of the AAdvantage partners that serve HYD. Call AA and ask the agent to look for AUS-HYD award space via DOH on QR; via AUH on EY; and/or via HKG on CX. (AAdvantage now permits routings via HKG on CX between North America and India -- in either direction.)

Note that all AAdvantage awards are now one-ways. You might conceivably go via AUH in one direction, and via HKG in the other.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @saiteja230.

Please follow the redirect to the AA forum for further discussion.

Please note, further consolidation may occur.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.