Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
A couple of days ago they would give me options to fly though DFW instead of direct from PHX (avoiding the BA fees), but they no longer will show me a DFW option.
Think you are mixing apples with oranges...maybe just tell us what dates and let the experts on here give you some real options.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ
Think you are mixing apples with oranges...maybe just tell us what dates and let the experts on here give you some real options.
Thanks.. looking for any options to get to Prague for eight days, anytime between NOV 30 and Dec 14.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Thanks.. looking for any options to get to Prague for eight days, anytime between NOV 30 and Dec 14.
Search one way at a time PHX-DFW-LHR-PRG is 30k plus $24
Book that now then wait to see if J might open up closer in, then call and change it - fee free
steamboatdevil likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Search one way at a time PHX-DFW-LHR-PRG is 30k plus $24
Book that now then wait to see if J might open up closer in, then call and change it - fee free
Thank you!.. I tried to do multi city round trip and could not .. this is a better option. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:16 pm

Looks the the hangup is the return trip..no good options. I will keep trying.... snagged a PHX to LHR direct, on the outbound on the 3rd for cheap.

Edit .. i will just fly home from another city in a nearby country. I have no set plans, just looking for flights and then will make my travel plans. Any recommendation for a city to fly home from? Looking for a seven day solo escape.

Last edited by steamboatdevil; Oct 1, 2022 at 5:37 pm
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Looks the the hangup is the return trip..no good options. I will keep trying.... snagged a PHX to LHR direct, on the outbound on the 3rd for cheap.

Edit .. i will just fly home from another city in a nearby country. I have no set plans, just looking for flights and then will make my travel plans. Any recommendation for a city to fly home from? Looking for a seven day solo escape.
If Milan is not too far, try MXP: I'm seeing MXP-JFK-PHX on AA metal for 22.5K miles and low fees during the week of the 10th.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:08 am

I suggest looking at Munich.

Last edited by sushanna1; Oct 2, 2022 at 10:11 am Reason: Accuracy
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sushanna1
I suggest looking at Munich.
Pretty high taxes departing from Germany on an award:

Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:36 pm

Ended up flying to Berlin and coming home from Vienna (will spend three days in Prague) .. Fees were not to bad, at least nothing like the $800 to $1000 i was seeing when i selected round trip.

Thanks, everyone !
guv1976 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Trying to use miles book a flight to from PHX to Prague in DEC and the fees are insane. $1,100 in fees to book a trip with miles? I can pay $900 cash and save money over a "free" ticket. I understand there is a surcharge on BA but still, it's crazy. A couple of days ago they would give me options to fly though DFW instead of direct from PHX (avoiding the BA fees), but they no longer will show me a DFW option.
Maybe should have booked a couple of days ago
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Obviously BA’s award ticket surcharges are a long-standing problem, there are several threads here going back 15 or more years. I think WE all laughed when BA had the audacity to call it a “fuel” surcharge. I’ve looked but have yet to find a rational explanation of the financial arrangements for BA’s outrageous award ticket surcharges (which certainly discourage redeeming miles for flights on BA thereby saving BA lots of money by not having many award passengers).

How does BA get away with it? Why does OneWorld allow it? Do they share some of that money with the other airlines? Or is it simply the same as the answer for almost all questions that start with the word “why” best exemplified by “why does a dog lick his gonads?” (Because he can! ) Thank you.
enviroian and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They are not award tcket surcharges - BA's carrier surcharges apply regardless whenr award or normal revenuw tickets

It does it, for UK/US because there is no law in US or UK prohibiting it. Where local laws prohibit/limit surcharges, then it complies
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Obviously BA’s award ticket surcharges are a long-standing problem, there are several threads here going back 15 or more years. I think WE all laughed when BA had the audacity to call it a “fuel” surcharge. I’ve looked but have yet to find a rational explanation of the financial arrangements for BA’s outrageous award ticket surcharges (which certainly discourage redeeming miles for flights on BA thereby saving BA lots of money by not having many award passengers).
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They are not award tcket surcharges - BA's carrier surcharges apply regardless whenr award or normal revenuw tickets

It does it, for UK/US because there is no law in US or UK prohibiting it. Where local laws prohibit/limit surcharges, then it complies
AA also has surcharges on revenue tickets. They choose not to charge it on award tickets. They therefore compensate by releasing practically no award seats at "saver" rates.

BA can happily release lots of award seats because they are getting some cash revenue out of them.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Made a fatal error in my searches on miles / prices and sircharge

Point remains AA charges higher miles on AA metal than on BA metal

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Oct 9, 2022 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA has plenty of passengers flying on reward tickets. BA also allows people to use avios to reduce the cash element.

Just having a look at some AA miles pricing for JFK-LHR return for next June

Flying BA = 115k points + $1745 ($1400 surcharge)

Flying AA = 217k miles + $1045 (web special) of which $ 700 is surcharge

So AA isn't averse to surcharges either. Or they price them in via higher miles requirements.
That AA quote involves a combination of a Web Special on AA for the outbound, and a MileSAAver return on BA. The surcharges are all associated with the BA flight: AA does not collect surcharges for award travel on its own metal (or on any partners -- except for BA and IB).

But you're right that AA will usually charge a lot more miles for trans-Atlantic Business Class travel on AA metal (with no surcharges) than on BA metal (with hefty surcharges). So one "pays" with either more AAdvantage miles or more cash.
JJeffrey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.