Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does AA give you Loyalty Points for paying your property taxes with AA Citi cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA give you Loyalty Points for paying your property taxes with AA Citi cards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Does AA gives you Loyalty Points if you pay your property taxes with AA Citi card?
Is there a list of charges that AA does not give you Loyalty Points?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
If it's a charge on your CC, you get LPs.

I personally don't charge anything on my CC that comes with a service fee to do so, and property taxes in some jurisdictions do.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:39 am

Yes to paying property tax.

Don't know about a list of what's excluded.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:21 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If it's a charge on your CC, you get LPs.

I personally don't charge anything on my CC that comes with a service fee to do so, and property taxes in some jurisdictions do.
Except for certain transactions outlined in the TOS:

AAdvantage® miles are earned on purchases, except balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler’s checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions).
1 Loyalty Point accrues for every eligible AAdvantage® mile earned on purchases, excluding balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler’s checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions). Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators.
I also don't make charges that come with service fees (as the ~2% eats away at the 1.4c valuation for AA miles (although obviously they can be valued at much higher)).
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
At the moment a slightly more advantageous way to do this is to buy a trio of $100 Mastercard giftcards from giftcards.com. You'll get $300 in value for $287.85 using 10% off code MERRYMC. You can repeat a 2nd time using code MERRYMC10. You can try shopping via aashopping to get additional miles for the transaction, but I wouldn't expect any to be awarded since it's using a code not advertised on the site.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:28 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by armus
At the moment a slightly more advantageous way to do this is to buy a trio of $100 Mastercard giftcards from giftcards.com. You'll get $300 in value for $287.85 using 10% off code MERRYMC. You can repeat a 2nd time using code MERRYMC10. You can try shopping via aashopping to get additional miles for the transaction, but I wouldn't expect any to be awarded since it's using a code not advertised on the site.
Do they accrue miles/LPs when using an AA card as well? - I did a similar thing with Amex (used a code plus an Amex offer), so got $20 off $300 but didn't accrue any MR points (I know they're a whole different animal though, just curious if it falls under the umbrella of "cash-like transactions" that are in the TOS)
Old Dec 6, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its a purchase, so why not? You also get the loyalty points on the processing fee (anywhere from about 1.9% to 4% depending on the processor).

I always -overpay- my final quarterly income tax payment. Take the refund, get the LPs.
mizzou miles likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Yes, have been doing this for years.

Property Tax, Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments to State and Feds, 1040 Payments, etc.

If your jurisdiction uses ACI payments (common government payment processor), that is a 100% lock on the charge counting as a standard purchase just like a trip to the grocery or gas station.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by armus
Sure, you come out 12 bucks ahead for jumping through these hoops. (Or I guess 24 if you do it twice.) But at the end of the day you're still only earning 1 LP per dollar charged to your card... 288 LP for buying and redeeming the gift cards, vs. 300 LP for buying whatever $300 in purchases you were planning to buy with the credit card. You've really just bought yourself lunch, not a more efficient way to earn any material amount of LPs.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
I have been paying both property tax and significant irs tax payments for years on the aa card. I have never encountered any payment processor for those matters that did not count as a regular purchase on the aa card, including the fee.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Sure, you come out 12 bucks ahead for jumping through these hoops. (Or I guess 24 if you do it twice.) But at the end of the day you're still only earning 1 LP per dollar charged to your card... 288 LP for buying and redeeming the gift cards, vs. 300 LP for buying whatever $300 in purchases you were planning to buy with the credit card. You've really just bought yourself lunch, not a more efficient way to earn any material amount of LPs.
If you go through the shopping portal you are getting 2x LP and miles.

IME your always get credit even if the choices are not advertised on the shipping portal (as long as they are not 3rd party codes)

Ignoring the savings from the codes (which are small and don't scale) you are getting 2x miles and LP (actually more than 2x LP due to the bonus) in exchange for a 1.4% fee after site credit.

So every $1000 in bills you pay will cost you $1014 and earn you 2014 miles and 2014, 2214, or 2314 LP depending on your current bonus level. And this scales up to however much money you have to spend.
LovePrunes and jmj9905 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.