Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA,DL,MP,Marriott,Hyatt,HI,Carlson
Unfortunately, I didn't have the same luck! I see Guest Seats available on Etihad.com, neither the US AAdvantage agents NOR Australian agents can see that inventory on AA award redemption
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
I am confirming, the Australian AA agents are good and can see and book the availability.

The problem persists with the US agents, so there is no other way.
This is my experience as well.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Just booked for next April:

EDI-AUH-BOM in J
BOM-AUH-LHR-EDI in F apartments

Had to call AUS call centre as US centre couldn't see space. Very easily done and ticketed within 24 hours. Seats booked online once ticketed.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95

Had to call AUS call centre as US centre couldn't see space. Very easily done and ticketed within 24 hours. Seats booked online once ticketed.
don't forget the online chauffeur drive booking too
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
don't forget the online chauffeur drive booking too
Oh don't worry they are booked!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:06 pm

I had noticed award availability in J between the US and AUH being pretty good for March 2016 until about a week back. Now it seems that all flights (JFK, ORD and LAX) are zeroed out on all days in Feb and Mar. Did something change in the last week?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by ajacpril
I had noticed award availability in J between the US and AUH being pretty good for March 2016 until about a week back. Now it seems that all flights (JFK, ORD and LAX) are zeroed out on all days in Feb and Mar. Did something change in the last week?
Some discussion on the Etihad forum. Not sure if this is a glitch or something worse. Time will tell...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...ry-flight.html
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:32 pm

Thanks. I had not seen that before. I hope things resolve themselves soon.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:18 am

ive booked EY F from AUH-LHR using AA miles through Australia AA. However, the miles is not deducted from my AA yet and my credit card still havent been charged. After keying the AA Record Locator ; its Status: On Request.
How long does it take on average (hours or days or weeks?) for AA to ticket EY ?
Can i consider the ticket will be confirmed/ticketed later on ? The reason i asked is because i want to buy a positional flight which is on promo now (promo ends tomorrow) Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I am seeing wide open availability on certain Etihad flights for award travel using the Etihad "Guest Business" availability on their website. Yet AA cannot find anything available?

Does this happen from time to time - that the link between the two breaks? And if so, how long between these outages? While I am not in a hurry and have time - I am mostly curious to see if others too have experienced this while attempting to book on AA miles.

I see some posts above saying that the Australian service center may be of assistance. I will try that...

Edited to add:
Called the Australia call center. (its open 24 hours a day.)
Got the ticket booked and issued immediately.
Its definitely a strange technical snag with the folks in the USA.

Last edited by gottaluvNW; Nov 27, 2015 at 2:03 am Reason: Updated with new info
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by markus_see
ive booked EY F from AUH-LHR using AA miles through Australia AA. However, the miles is not deducted from my AA yet and my credit card still havent been charged. After keying the AA Record Locator ; its Status: On Request.
How long does it take on average (hours or days or weeks?) for AA to ticket EY ?
Can i consider the ticket will be confirmed/ticketed later on ? The reason i asked is because i want to buy a positional flight which is on promo now (promo ends tomorrow) Thanks.
The Australia office ime says that they will get ticketing done in 24-48 hours. How long has it been?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by markus_see
I got one within hours. The way I did it is call center in China -> on hold -> call exp desk to issue.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I posted in another thread as well. But as it is related to Etihad I would like to ask it again here.

I was trying to book AMM-DOH-AUH-SFO because AMM-AUH's availability is not good. However I was told it must be done in two tickets by exp desk. DOH-AUH-SFO is OK even though the DOH-AUH segment is on QR.

It is very confusing to me since AMM-DOH-AUH-SFO is only 2 miles more than AMM-AUH-SFO. I suppose the later should be allowed (is it?). Why AMM-DOH causes a problem? Someone on the other thread suggests I have to follow the routing rule of the published fare. I can't find the source for the rule. But I guess AA never published the detailed rule anyway.

On issuing the DOH-AUH-SFO ticket the agent also mentioned there is a strange 100-200$ fee on the ticket. However she cannot understand what the fee is about, so she removed it manually anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zig2
I posted in another thread as well. But as it is related to Etihad I would like to ask it again here.

I was trying to book AMM-DOH-AUH-SFO because AMM-AUH's availability is not good. However I was told it must be done in two tickets by exp desk. DOH-AUH-SFO is OK even though the DOH-AUH segment is on QR.

It is very confusing to me since AMM-DOH-AUH-SFO is only 2 miles more than AMM-AUH-SFO. I suppose the later should be allowed (is it?). Why AMM-DOH causes a problem? Someone on the other thread suggests I have to follow the routing rule of the published fare. I can't find the source for the rule.
There is zero question about that rule and that it's as I say it is.

I am the original source of that unpublished information but it's now very widely known. Every single poster that's ever posted about it and every blogger (and for-pay award-booker, etc) that knows these unpublished rules, know of them because of me.

So, no doubt the rule exists.

Question in that thread was which of the various published F fares published on that route should apply (as there are MPM-based ones and routing-based ones, it appears?) That I cannot answer-- and if I can't answer that, no one here can.

So, you'll be somewhat at the mercy of calling again and if the same answer persists, "taking it or leaving it" in terms of what they say.

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 27, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:31 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by zig2

It is very confusing to me since AMM-DOH-AUH-SFO is only 2 miles more than AMM-AUH-SFO. I suppose the later should be allowed (is it?). Why AMM-DOH causes a problem? Someone on the other thread suggests I have to follow the routing rule of the published fare. I can't find the source for the rule. But I guess AA never published the detailed rule anyway.

On issuing the DOH-AUH-SFO ticket the agent also mentioned there is a strange 100-200$ fee on the ticket. However she cannot understand what the fee is about, so she removed it manually anyway.
Do you have to go through DOH? RJ has wide availability AMM-AUH in Y/J in 2016 or were you only looking on EY flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.