Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:19 am

I am trying to look through several threads but could not find the change/cancellation policy for Etihad tickets booked through AA. Can someone point me to the right direction.
Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you talking about award tickets or paid tickets?

If it is an award ticket, then it is the same as for any other award. Date/Time changes are free of charge. If wishing to cancel there is a $150 fee for reinstating mileage back into the account for the 1st ticket and $25 for each additional ticket issued from the same AA account

If it is a paid ticket, depends on the fare rules
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

can we change the return date on a round trip ticket? On a BOM-IAD-BOM ticket,
can we change the return date if BOM-IAD journey is complete?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by coolmuke
can we change the return date on a round trip ticket? On a BOM-IAD-BOM ticket,
can we change the return date if BOM-IAD journey is complete?
Yes to both
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Wouldn't QF LAX-SYD in F cost fewer than half the miles?
Yes, but good luck finding QF F award space these days.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:29 am

Just booked two seats on Etihad A380 in First for AUH to SYD in mid November. Didn't see any other availability, checked daily and it popped up. Probably someone dropping an award reservation, but wanted to share.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by celetheo
Just booked two seats on Etihad A380 in First for AUH to SYD in mid November. Didn't see any other availability, checked daily and it popped up. Probably someone dropping an award reservation, but wanted to share.
If I were you I would go out and buy a lottery ticket NOW! Checked between now and our AUH-Australia travel dates in early May and scattered availability in the spring for two Guest First seats on the 77W flights but nothing on the A380 into SYD. We did manage to get two F seats on the 789 flights into BNE on the day we wanted but still hoping that The Apartments will open up before our travel dates.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:59 am

anyone booked a successful a380 first apartment awards and have it switch to another flight? Would you be able to cancel and get your miles back?

looking at booking the JFK-BOM trip thru AUH but if Im paying 180K round trip, I would rather not pay for anything less than the apartments.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Does EY allow domestic connection on award before getting on outbound to AUH? Based out of ORD but looking to fly out form IAD or JFK for better equipment. Getting mixed answers from AAgents.

Also, anyone booked Apartment on JFK-AUH? Award availability is zilch on that one.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Does EY allow domestic connection on award before getting on outbound to AUH? Based out of ORD but looking to fly out form IAD or JFK for better equipment. Getting mixed answers from AAgents.

Also, anyone booked Apartment on JFK-AUH? Award availability is zilch on that one.
1. Yes, you can add a leg to get you to the international gateway for the EY flight (so long as EY publishes a fare between the two cities as well as your requested routing). We are flying a combo of AA/EY in F ORD(AA)-DFW(EY)-AUH(EY)-MLE in May.

2. Good luck with finding space on the JFK-AUH leg on the A380. EY severely cut back on availability for the Apartments back in June. We are going via DFW as that was the on F class seats available. If you are flying out of ORD, I don't think the AA ORD-JFK flights are timed well for connections and getting from ORD-IAD requires a change of planes or flying into DCA and taking a taxi out to IAD.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
1. Yes, you can add a leg to get you to the international gateway for the EY flight (so long as EY publishes a fare between the two cities as well as your requested routing). We are flying a combo of AA/EY in F ORD(AA)-DFW(EY)-AUH(EY)-MLE in May.

2. Good luck with finding space on the JFK-AUH leg on the A380. EY severely cut back on availability for the Apartments back in June. We are going via DFW as that was the on F class seats available. If you are flying out of ORD, I don't think the AA ORD-JFK flights are timed well for connections and getting from ORD-IAD requires a change of planes or flying into DCA and taking a taxi out to IAD.
I am a little confused on #1. Does there need to be published fare between ORD-AUH or IAD-AUH. Or both? Or ORD-DCA/iAD-AUH? If I don't fly into DCA, I may fly into BWI the evening before (keeping under 24hrs) and fly out of IAD next day.
I have done this out of DFW but there is no airport change there. Not sure how involvement of DCA/BWI plays out.

You are correct on #2. But I can live with both scenarios. Not optimal but it's doable.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I am a little confused on #1. Does there need to be published fare between ORD-AUH or IAD-AUH. Or both? Or ORD-DCA/iAD-AUH? If I don't fly into DCA, I may fly into BWI the evening before (keeping under 24hrs) and fly out of IAD next day.
I have done this out of DFW but there is no airport change there. Not sure how involvement of DCA/BWI plays out.

You are correct on #2. But I can live with both scenarios. Not optimal but it's doable.
There needs to be a published fare between the origin and destination that allows the connections you are seeking. So in your case, there must be a published fare between ORD and AUH.

I'm not sure how the co-terminal stuff affects the fare construction though, so I'll let someone else answer that bit.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
anyone booked a successful a380 first apartment awards and have it switch to another flight? Would you be able to cancel and get your miles back?

looking at booking the JFK-BOM trip thru AUH but if Im paying 180K round trip, I would rather not pay for anything less than the apartments.
I'm making the same trip JFK>AUH>BOM in Feb 2016. I had the apartment and then Sept 9th I was switched to Jet Airways flight. I was very unhappy with the switch, but I do want to go to BOM so I accepted the change. I will try and see any award availability for the apartment opens close in.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
There needs to be a published fare between the origin and destination that allows the connections you are seeking. So in your case, there must be a published fare between ORD and AUH.

I'm not sure how the co-terminal stuff affects the fare construction though, so I'll let someone else answer that bit.
Yes, I know the fare needs to be published between origin and destination. But how does one check if the routing is permissible (keeping co-terminal thing aside)?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:38 pm

Yes, I know the fare needs to be published between origin and destination. But how does one check if the routing is permissible (keeping co-terminal thing aside)?
Expert Flyer is a good tool for listing valid routings

As an example, for ORD-AUH

Originally Posted by EF
1. CHI-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
2. CHI-EY/AA-NYC/DFW/CHI-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
3. CHI-PAR/MAN/DUS/DUB-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
4. CHI-EY-PAR/MAN/DUB-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
5. CHI-AA-FRA/DUS-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
6. CHI-AUH
7. CHI-EY/AA-NYC/DFW/CHI-AUH
8. CHI-PAR/MAN/DUS/DUB-AUH
9. CHI-EY-PAR/MAN/DUB-AUH
10. CHI-AA-FRA/DUS-AUH
Going via NYC seems to be valid, but going via IAD does not

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 10, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.