Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
In early May I was able to snag the following:

FRA-AUH-MLE (343/F, 320/J)
MLE-AUH-LHR (320/Y, 388/F)

Priced at 160,000 miles round trip total for 2 people (plus about $150 if I recall correctly; saved a bunch by flying out of Frankfurt and back into London, took a 4500mi BA redemption to get to FRA, still got F lounge access as an EXP).

Made for a fun long weekend
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
True, but even if you're connecting you owe Heathrow, and the Solidarity tax goes up the further (and nicer) you're flying.

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $48.40
France Civil Aviation Tax Domestic And International (FR) $4.90
French International Passenger Service Charge (QX) $15.30
French Airport Tax (FR) $14.30
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) $50.40

That works out to $133 (119EUR) for the one-way. For a return ticket the taxes work out to:

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $67.10
France Civil Aviation Tax Domestic And International (FR) $4.90
French International Passenger Service Charge (QX) $12.70
French Airport Tax (FR) $10.90
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) $50.40
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO) $3.71
India Development Fee (YM) $10.30
Indian User Development Fee (IN) $11.58

That works out to $171.58 (153EUR). That was at current exchange rates which have been fluctuating. Looks to me, though, like you paid the correct amount assuming you're flying round trip
thank you for you answer; seems like the 170 € i paid were incorrect since it was for a one way ticket.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:37 am

Bagged the following in Feb 2016:

MAN - LHR - AUH (BA Y + EY A380 F)
AUH - MAN (EY 77W J)

For 2 people it worked out at around £420 GBP. Although more than most I still consider it a bargain
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anime333
This was the problem.

App on my phone showed "ticketed"; thought it was good-to-go. When I log into AA and click on the ticket, it showed "on reserve". Now everything seems to have synced up.
That seems to be a bug on the AA App. It usually takes 2-3 days before it is ticketed with the other airlines.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Armodeen
Bagged the following in Feb 2016:

MAN - LHR - AUH (BA Y + EY A380 F)
AUH - MAN (EY 77W J)

For 2 people it worked out at around £420 GBP. Although more than most I still consider it a bargain
£280-ish of that is UK APD on your outward leg.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:17 pm

I just got a 10 minute schedule change from EY that somehow automatically switched my connecting flight (leg #2) to an earlier flight. EY has told me that they can't switch me back to the flight I want, AA has to reissue the ticket.

Am I at risk of losing my confirmed A380 F segment if I have to make a change to a different leg of the itinerary? This is my first time changing a partner award on AA.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by aradisc
I just got a 10 minute schedule change from EY that somehow automatically switched my connecting flight (leg #2) to an earlier flight. EY has told me that they can't switch me back to the flight I want, AA has to reissue the ticket.

Am I at risk of losing my confirmed A380 F segment if I have to make a change to a different leg of the itinerary? This is my first time changing a partner award on AA.
No you are not at risk.

It drives me crazy but AA has programmed their system to rebook you on the tightest connection. I don't like to play connection roulette.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
No you are not at risk.

It drives me crazy but AA has programmed their system to rebook you on the tightest connection. I don't like to play connection roulette.
Thanks. The connection is not particularly tight, but the earlier flight arrives at the destination at 4:30 AM and I'd rather hang out in AUH for a bit and get to my destination at a reasonable hour.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:16 am

Etihad changed their FFP on 8th July, to add a "carrier charge" per segment on GuestSeat reward bookings, per segment ($50,$100,$150 for economy,biz,first).

Looking at some of the recent data on this thread, I don't see anything to suggest that AA is charging these carrier charges when booking awards on EY flights.

....which is nice
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:04 am

Duplicate post deleted

Last edited by tangey; Sep 11, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:40 am

I am considering redeeming SYD-AUH-LHR for my mother on Etihad or SYD-DUB-LHR on Qantas. Both would be in First. Etihad requires 100K miles (2 awards) vs 80K (1 award) for Qantas. My mother has flown QF First before and loves it. it seems like the best availability on Etihad would be SYD-AUH on 77W and AUH-LHR on A380.

My analysis is that the 77W EY F is comparable to A380 QF F. A380 EY F is superior. So I would in effect be ponying up 20K more for the difference of EY F on the AUH-LHR route.

Any thoughts on the value of the Etihad over Qantas in this regard? Is there anything of benefit for 2 awards, like a stopover in Abu Dhabi, that is recommended?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by bmchris
I am considering redeeming SYD-AUH-LHR for my mother on Etihad or SYD-DUB-LHR on Qantas. Both would be in First. Etihad requires 100K miles (2 awards) vs 80K (1 award) for Qantas. My mother has flown QF First before and loves it. it seems like the best availability on Etihad would be SYD-AUH on 77W and AUH-LHR on A380.

My analysis is that the 77W EY F is comparable to A380 QF F. A380 EY F is superior. So I would in effect be ponying up 20K more for the difference of EY F on the AUH-LHR route.

Any thoughts on the value of the Etihad over Qantas in this regard? Is there anything of benefit for 2 awards, like a stopover in Abu Dhabi, that is recommended?
I would take the option where you find availability - QF F is very hard to get particularly at 330 days. A stop in Abu Dhabi (or Dubai as EY offers limo xfer to/from Dubai if desired) is a good way to break up the long journey.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bmchris

I actually find the QF A380 F cabin to be much better, as it is roomier and overall has a better feel while the EY 77W F cabin is very small and doesn't feel spacious at all.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:55 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed previously already. Any reason why F award space for A380 space on EY has been so difficult? I've looked at all available routes and all seem unavailable.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chinesescouse
Sorry if this has been addressed previously already. Any reason why F award space for A380 space on EY has been so difficult? I've looked at all available routes and all seem unavailable.
EY locked it down earlier this year. From what I can tell - and I have only looked randomly recently - the A380 seats are being released much closer to date of flight. Others who are looking more aggressively might see something different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.