Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 16, 9:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 2, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA View Post
If I were you I would go out and buy a lottery ticket NOW! Checked between now and our AUH-Australia travel dates in early May and scattered availability in the spring for two Guest First seats on the 77W flights but nothing on the A380 into SYD. We did manage to get two F seats on the 789 flights into BNE on the day we wanted but still hoping that The Apartments will open up before our travel dates.
I just did IAD AUH in F on the 789. Having flown the EY A380 in F into LHR, I can tell you that the 789 F experience isn't really that impressive... just a small cabin and not that different than the 77W F cabin.
Old Nov 2, 15, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I just booked LHR-AUH-MEL on A380 F for two people! This would be my second time on the A380 F with miles
Old Nov 4, 15, 8:02 pm

AUH-SYD A380 F available tonight

1 F seat available on the A380 tonight 5th November, dep 10.05pm (EY454).

Hope someone here is able to grab it!
Old Nov 5, 15, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
I just booked LHR-AUH-MEL on A380 F for two people! This would be my second time on the A380 F with miles
Congrats! Did you pay 100,000 AA miles per ticket, because AA priced LHR–AUH and AUH–MEL as two separate awards, or did you have it priced as one award for 80,000 AA miles per ticket?

If you want to fly Etihad First Apartments all the way to Australia (so 20+ hours total in First Apartments), you can see about changing your award to LHR–AUH–SYD–MEL with the SYD–MEL leg on Qantas (it's only an hour and a half flight, so Y wouldn't kill you). Of course, if you're booked to fly after June 2, AUH–MEL will be operated by the A380 on the night flight.

Enjoy the trip!

Last edited by LukeRB; Nov 5, 15 at 6:10 pm
Old Nov 5, 15, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by LukeRB View Post
Congrats! Did you pay 100,000 AA miles per ticket, because AA priced LHR–AUH and AUH–MEL as two separate awards, or did you have it priced as one award for 80,000 AA miles per ticket?
It should price out as two awards. The exception are the QF flights that continue to LHR from DXB with the same flight number all the way through from SYD or MEL.

He probably booked the new A380 operated flight to MEL.
Old Nov 5, 15, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tlott View Post
It should price out as two awards. The exception are the QF flights that continue to LHR from DXB with the same flight number all the way through from SYD or MEL.

He probably booked the new A380 operated flight to MEL.
That was my assumption as well—it's unclear whether you can book one or two legs on QF, but not all the way from SYD–LHR, and get it priced as one award (e.g. SYD–AUH–DOH–LHR with SYD–AUH on EY and AUH–DOH–LHR on QF). Has anyone successfully booked such an itinerary as one 80,000-mile award or heard of someone else doing it?

Are there any known workarounds for flying EY in and/or out of the Middle East when going from Australia to Europe, or vice versa?
Old Nov 5, 15, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum

If you want to fly Etihad First Apartments all the way to Australia (so 20+ hours total in First Apartments), you can see about changing your award to LHR–AUH–SYD–MEL with the SYD–MEL leg on Qantas (it's only an hour and a half flight, so Y wouldn't kill you). Of course, if you're booked to fly after June 2, AUH–MEL will be operated by the A380 on the night flight.

Enjoy the trip!
Thank you! Yes the trip is on the A380 first apartment on both segments. I am staying 3 days at AUH because I was going to be charged anyways. It is very hard to get to australia on points from the US...
Old Nov 6, 15, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was my assumption as well—it's unclear whether you can book one or two legs on QF, but not all the way from SYD–LHR, and get it priced as one award (e.g. SYD–AUH–DOH–LHR with SYD–AUH on EY and AUH–DOH–LHR on QF). Has anyone successfully booked such an itinerary as one 80,000-mile award or heard of someone else doing it?
The only way QF can be used as a through award is by booking as a single sector SYD/MEL-LHR

If booked on SYD/MEL-DXB and then on to Europe , 2 awards are needed

Even if booked as QF1 SYD-DXB and QF9 DXB-LHR, then 2 awards are needed
Old Nov 6, 15, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Booked KRK-LHR-AUH-BOM-CCU on BA/EY/EY/9W for 40k and $101.
2 EY F A380 flights = happy camper.

Another one in F, including 2 A380 flights, for 60k + $99
AKL-SYD-MEL-AUH-BOM on LA/QF/EY/EY

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 6, 15 at 4:42 pm
Old Nov 6, 15, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shgroamer View Post
Just booked EY J with aadvantage miles for dfw-auh via IAD. Excited to fly the 789. 67500 miles and 7 bucks. Found availability via EY site then called AA
I know this is an oolllllldddd data point (flight was back in June)... but FWIW:

There was an equip change with my flight to a 77W, and as I wanted to fly the 789, I checked out availability for the next day.

Within about 4 days of flying, availability opened up in F, so I went ahead and did the upgrade from J. From what I gather, the late availability openings are still happening on various routes.
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The only way QF can be used as a through award is by booking as a single sector SYD/MEL-LHR

If booked on SYD/MEL-DXB and then on to Europe , 2 awards are needed

Even if booked as QF1 SYD-DXB and QF9 DXB-LHR, then 2 awards are needed
Good to know, thanks.

Accidentally typed QF (Qantas) instead of QR (Qatar). How does Australia–Europe work with QR, and what can you do while still only paying 80,000 miles (e.g. SYD–AUH on EY then AUH–DOH–LHR on QR, SYD–BKK–DOH–LHR, SYD–NRT–BKK–DOH–LHR)? Has anyone successfully booked such an itinerary as one 80,000-mile award (or know someone who has)?
Old Nov 11, 15, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by shgroamer View Post
Within about 4 days of flying, availability opened up in F, so I went ahead and did the upgrade from J. From what I gather, the late availability openings are still happening on various routes.
Did you happen to notice a particular time (and the corresponding timezone) for when last minute seats are released?
Old Nov 11, 15, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Looking to go EY apartments this summer AUH - LHR.

I'll be in DXB beforehand but with the introduction of BOM - AUH a380 I'm curious if anyone thinks a DXB - BOM (9W) - AUH - LHR would be allowed by AA given the backtracking? It's tempting since the mileage is the same.

If not just need to decide whether it's worth buying a flight down to BOM from DXB for the extra 3.5 hours in the Apartments.
Old Nov 11, 15, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know, thanks.

Accidentally typed QF (Qantas) instead of QR (Qatar). How does Australia–Europe work with QR, and what can you do while still only paying 80,000 miles (e.g. SYD–AUH on EY then AUH–DOH–LHR on QR, SYD–BKK–DOH–LHR, SYD–NRT–BKK–DOH–LHR)? Has anyone successfully booked such an itinerary as one 80,000-mile award (or know someone who has)?
I dont know about your convoluted routing going thru NRT and BKK in backtracking fashion or SYD-BKK-DOH.

It must be QR to QR with QR being on the long haul in order to transit Middle East with a S Pacific - Europe award as a single award.
I have asked about Europe-DXB-DOH-SYD and that is not within the "Exception" allowed - must be QR to QR on long hauls. DXB-DOH does not count even it is on QR. Need to be Europe to DOH, DOH to Australia, all on QR to pay a single award.

You may want to post your routing questions on the AA partner award rules thread than on the EY success award thread. JonNYC should be able to give you excellent info on what you can do and what you can NOT do. My guess is none of your proposition would work.
Old Nov 15, 15, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Is anyone having trouble with AA agents seeing F availability? I see plenty of guest first availability for AUH-IAD... but none of the agents can see it. Any input would be appreciated!

Search this Thread