Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: QFF
I have made 4 different bookings on EY using AA miles recently, 2 x J & 2 x F.
Interestingly this message only appears on the F bookings.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

I've called etihad, and they dont see any issues with my ticket. But are unable to answer as to why I get that message for some bookings but not for others.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somebol
I managed to book SYD-AUH on A380 apartments. All ticketed OK.

But when I check my booking on EY's MMB I see the following error.

what does this mean? should I call EY to check everything is a OK?
When is the travel time?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
When is the travel time?
14/11 - auh-syd
30/11 - syd-auh
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somebol
14/11 - auh-syd
30/11 - syd-auh
So the close-in period still works. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Expert Flyer is a good tool for listing valid routings

As an example, for ORD-AUH

Originally Posted by EF
1. CHI-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
2. CHI-EY/AA-NYC/DFW/CHI-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
3. CHI-PAR/MAN/DUS/DUB-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
4. CHI-EY-PAR/MAN/DUB-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
5. CHI-AA-FRA/DUS-AUH-DXB/AAN-AUH
6. CHI-AUH
7. CHI-EY/AA-NYC/DFW/CHI-AUH
8. CHI-PAR/MAN/DUS/DUB-AUH
9. CHI-EY-PAR/MAN/DUB-AUH
10. CHI-AA-FRA/DUS-AUH
Going via NYC seems to be valid, but going via IAD does not
Put in request to process my hold and they ticketed ORD-DCA/IAD-AUH.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
EY is flying the A380 to MEL effective in June 2016, so I changed my existing flight to SYD on the 77W to MEL on the A380. I only checked the one day of my existing reservation. The A380 was available that day, so I took it. Now I have LHR-AUH-MEL all the way in The Apartment. Worth the change fee, IMO.

For anyone looking for scarce Apartment availability to or from Australia from June 2016 forward, check MEL too.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:03 am

Anyone have an issue with Etihad Guest showing award availability but AA agents being unable to see it?

The AA agents claim that the seats can't be booked with AA miles and Etihad is reserving them for sale. I've already HUACAed 5x, and each agent has said the same thing.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Anyone have an issue with Etihad Guest showing award availability but AA agents being unable to see it?

The AA agents claim that the seats can't be booked with AA miles and Etihad is reserving them for sale. I've already HUACAed 5x, and each agent has said the same thing.

Suggestions?
HUCA some more and then go buy a lottery ticket with this luck
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:49 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist

Suggestions?
Are you trying to book one or more legs. If more than one leg sometimes you need to ask the AAgent to look at each leg individually.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by 44C
Are you trying to book one or more legs. If more than one leg sometimes you need to ask the AAgent to look at each leg individually.
No, definitely just one leg.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:06 am

No, definitely just one leg.
Have a ticketed redemption in J on EY for next week, F opened up so called AA only to be told no seats available. I gave up after the 3rd call.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:06 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Have a ticketed redemption in J on EY for next week, F opened up so called AA only to be told no seats available. I gave up after the 3rd call.
Don't give up. This spring I was in an award in J for AUH-IAD. Seven days out F opened up on the EY website but it took 2 days before AA could see and book it.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:37 am

Just book JFK-AUH-LHE return Feb 2-10 in F. Saw the availiblity, called AA and made the reservation, about $182 in fees etc. First time in long haul F, so pretty excited.
Could not find any availability on A380, Had to go with 77W for JFK-AUH and 77L for AUH-LHE, both legs.
Need suggestions on how to select seats and which seat should i select, like mentioned first time in F so don't have much idea. Will be just me travelling.
Also any info RE: Lounge access in JFK and AUH will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 44C
Don't give up. This spring I was in an award in J for AUH-IAD. Seven days out F opened up on the EY website but it took 2 days before AA could see and book it.
Thanks so much 44C! I was able to upgrade my seats from J to F, (finally!), on SYD-AUH, 2 days after availability first opened up on EY. I guess there is a small bit of lag before AA can see the space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.