Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Offers United 1K Elite AA Executive Platinum Match - Challenge
Program appears suspended or ended o/a 1 Oct 2015 but later reinstated

This thread pertains to Challenges issued primarily to UA 1K Elites to move their business to AA by bestowing temporary Executive Platinum status and establishing a ninety day period during which the enrollee must fly on AA and specific airline partners to retain status beyond the Challenge period.

NOTE: It appears AA has suspended or ended this program o/a 01 Oct 2015.

Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
I sent in my United 1K credentials and got this message back today after waiting 2 weeks for a reply:

Thanks for your response.

We no longer offer a challenge for United 1K members switching to
American. This promotion was an unpublished offer, and we've decided to
suspend enrollment for the time being. I'm sorry to disappoint you. We
hope that you're successful in earning your desired elite status soon.

Regards,

Andrew <redacted>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Others than UA 1Ks can challenge for status as described in:
Help Desk: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

For questions regarding AA Elite status, see AAdvantage Elite Status and Elite Status Benefits on aa.com.

Step #1 is to call AAdvantage Customer Service:

U.S. or Canada AAdvantage Customer Service
1-800-882-8880
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
1-817-963-7882 (Fax)

From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-786-3796
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
The process:
  1. Call AAdvantage Customer Service for the requirements
  2. You send AAdvantage the required documentation of your current UA status
  3. They reply you are qualified to the match challenge and ask you to confirm that you want to enroll in the challenge, and provide some details on the requirements
  4. You reply via email saying you wish to do the match
  5. They send the final email describing also what your AA Executive Platinum benefits will be for the duration of the match period
Code:
November, 2013 email 

Dear Mr. AAspirant,

Thank you for your interest in making American Airlines your first
choice for all your travel needs.

We are pleased to grant you a special AAdvantage Executive Platinum®**
(oneworld® Emerald) membership, valid through February 25, 2014 (or other date). Once
your status takes effect, your membership card will be mailed within 3
to 5 weeks to the address on your account. This one-time trial offer
will afford you all of the privileges and most of the benefits of this
level, including:

• Complimentary 500-Mile Upgrades (see www.aa.com/500mileupgrades)
  • 100% mileage bonus on base miles for eligible flights
  • Waived AA charges for two checked bags within current size and weight limits
  • PriorityAAccessSM privileges at airport check-in, security and boarding gates
In addition, if you earn 25,000 elite-qualifying points& by flying on select airlines* while enjoying this special AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, we will extend your membership through February 28, 2015 and deposit eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades** into your account. For more information about earning elite-qualifying points, visit aa.com/elitestatus at your convenience. We're here to help, should you have any questions related to this limited offer. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. Kindest Regards, XXX XXX AAdvantage Customer Service American Airlines * Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, US Airways, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair, as well as eligible codeshare flights. Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for this offer. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually. **AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status received through this offer does not automatically include the eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades that are granted upon meeting the standard qualification requirements for this membership level. To receive this benefit, you must earn 25,000 points as noted above. Upon qualification, these upgrades will be deposited into your account within two weeks following your qualifying flight and will be valid for travel through February 28, 2015.
&American Airlines and US Airways flights earn from 0.5 to 1.5 Elite Qualifying Points per base / Elite Qualifying Miles. See here. The challenge is based on Points, not miles; one could fly deep discount fares and have to fly 50,000 miles to earn 25,000 points, and as few as 16,667 miles on B, Y and higher fares. Be aware: different airline partners may award fractional miles as well as fractional points for some fares, or even none for fares not listed on aa.com.

Older posts have been archived off. They can be read as follows:

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)
(full straight-on Status Match, April 2012)

and

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA Elites a status match "challenge"
(beginning May 2012, the offer becomes a status match challenge)

Print Wikipost

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TomA
That's exactly why I never switched. I got the match when they started this two years ago and then they changed their minds about the SWUs midstream.
So in hindsight, do you feel you made the right decision?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
So in hindsight, do you feel you made the right decision?
Yes.

The UA baggage allotment has saved me quite a lot as I import by air and my sales have increased dramatically in the last two years. AA is 2 50 pound bags, right? UA is 3 x 70 and I have been using all of it.

UA's Asia partner network is better and that's where I usually am. I can count TG SG and CX.

UA ended up making me Marriott Gold, which has really been a fantastic benefit.

I have a Bangkok address, so the new PQD requirements don't apply to me.

Since I don't need domestic upgrades I can trade my 4 regional upgrades for 2 globals and I have 8 anyway, so this ended up not being an issue. I never have missed a complementary US domestic upgrade.

Now, if UA went to a completely $$ based system like Delta (and AA doesn't) I might change my mind.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes.

The UA baggage allotment has saved me quite a lot as I import by air and my sales have increased dramatically in the last two years. AA is 2 50 pound bags, right? UA is 3 x 70 and I have been using all of it.

UA's Asia partner network is better and that's where I usually am. I can count TG SG and CX.

UA ended up making me Marriott Gold, which has really been a fantastic benefit.

I have a Bangkok address, so the new PQD requirements don't apply to me.

Since I don't need domestic upgrades I can trade my 4 regional upgrades for 2 globals and I have 8 anyway, so this ended up not being an issue. I never have missed a complementary US domestic upgrade.

Now, if UA went to a completely $$ based system like Delta (and AA doesn't) I might change my mind.
Sounds like you got lucky that AA gave you an excuse not to switch. Certainly there will be lots of special cases like yours where one airline or another has something particularly compelling. Presumably you'll still have that baggage allowance on whichever airline you'll now be flying out of BKK after UA dropped the route?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Presumably you'll still have that baggage allowance on whichever airline you'll now be flying out of BKK after UA dropped the route?
Apparently, yes. UA told me that as long as they are on the same 016 Tx as my flight to the US mainland, I get the same allowance. We'll soon see if theory works out in reality, but they told me to call in and have a note put in my record for the first few flights, just in case.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:45 am

Yes.
AA is 2 50 pound bags, right? UA is 3 x 70 and I have been using all of it.
EXP/oneworld Emeralds get 3 bags, x 50 (unless Brazil).
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by martin33
EXP/oneworld Emeralds get 3 bags, x 50 (unless Brazil).
Ah... better than I thought, but still 60 pounds less. I really do use every pound. Actually last trip I paid $200 for a 4th bag.

Last edited by TomA; Mar 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Originally Posted by goldiemack
Yes, it does, at least for the version I received as a United 1K. I completed the EXP challenge last week after starting in Jan 2014. About 8K of my 25K EQP were on US metal. 8 SWUs already deposited...sweet!
Great to hear, I have a bunch of US travel coming up. Just wondering if I should wait till after June to do it so I could get the extra year hmmmmm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by manstein58
AA offered executive Platinum Status right away with a challenge to fly 25k in 90 days to make permanent. Can start anytime up to May 1.
I point this out every time this statement gets made so here it is again... AA's ExP challenge is 25k points NOT 25k miles, at least it has been in the past. This trips up a lot of folks as many discount fare codes (G, Q, N, O, S) only earn .5 points per mile flown. If you fly on deeper discount tickets the challenge can be as high as 50k miles.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA PE, MR LP, Natl EE
I've hit "fed up" point with UA again. The last I checked, AA was only offering a match to UA 1k's, to XP status on AA, after 25k points flown - but that was for a limited time. Thanks to a nearby project last year, I missed 1k by 13 segments, and they wouldn't grant any kind of exception, even considering the history I have with them.

What is the current state of the XP challenge at AA? I've trolled the AA.com site and can't seem to locate any page that identifies challenge terms.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by darrylhadfield
What is the current state of the XP challenge at AA? I've trolled the AA.com site and can't seem to locate any page that identifies challenge terms.
Its always been unwritten from my understanding. Only the paid challenge for gold and plat is on the site
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
That's exactly why I never switched. I got the match when they started this two years ago and then they changed their minds about the SWUs midstream.
You mean because you actually had to fly AA to get the eVIPs, you decided it wasn't worth your while? Obviously your only interest was to try to get free international upgrades with little commitment to actually move most of your business to AA. There were lots of 1Ks like yourself who ended up posting their eVIPs on Coupon Connection where they attempted to make off like thieves. Having actually flown AA to earn my eVIPs, I have no regrets about moving most of my US/international flying from UA. You don't know what you're missing...AA is so far ahead of UA in service quality on so many levels.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by darrylhadfield
..What is the current state of the XP challenge at AA? I've trolled the AA.com site and can't seem to locate any page that identifies challenge terms.
As pointed out above, you'll find no mention of Gold or Plat challenge on AA.com as they are "unpublished" yet anyone who calls AAdv C.S. can sign up for one (assuming they have no AA elite status presently and a few other qualifications.)

That said any "EXP challenge" is far, far more unpublished in that the vast majority of people who might ask for it will be told there's no such thing. Wouldn't be 100% accurate to call it "invite only"-- but that's a pretty good description-- compared to Gold/Plat challenge anyway.

So, the current status is; the vast majority of people who would ask for/about and EXP challenge will be offered instead a Plat challenge. Occasionally with a offer of a follow-up or pass-along (to different department) for consideration for a challenge to EXP.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
1K colleague asked for the challenge and was only offered a gold/platinum paid challenge. This person is more than 1/3 the way to renewing 1K and has met the PQD goal for the year. He's not doing it.

It seems like now the most sure fired way to get top status is through trial elite onn US Airways. It's still paid but if one flies the requisite number of miles for CP, then he will get the top status which will likely be EXP next year.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
...It seems like now the most sure fired way to get top status is through trial elite onn US Airways. It's still paid but if one flies the requisite number of miles for CP, then he will get the top status which will likely be EXP next year.
Isn't CP (top level status) not an option for trial? Or am I misreading.
https://www.usairways.com/en-US/divi...preferred.html

EDIT to add: ah, now I see-- I see the initial trial can only be to Plat but then it specifies:

Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 31, 2014 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
You're sort of reading it right. You can't buy into CP right away but you can earn it in the 90 days:

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways to keep your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.
Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The most you can buy into for the 90 days is Platinum for $600. But you can also buy the gold and still earn Chairman's.

Only negative is only US operated flights count whereas with the AA challenge AA and US flights count. I'm just not sure that's such a negative that makes the AA one a better deal since most you'll earn is Platinum regardless of how many EQP you own. Guess it's a YMMV situation in whether or not you're going to fly the US metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.