Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Offers United 1K Elite AA Executive Platinum Match - Challenge
Program appears suspended or ended o/a 1 Oct 2015 but later reinstated

This thread pertains to Challenges issued primarily to UA 1K Elites to move their business to AA by bestowing temporary Executive Platinum status and establishing a ninety day period during which the enrollee must fly on AA and specific airline partners to retain status beyond the Challenge period.

NOTE: It appears AA has suspended or ended this program o/a 01 Oct 2015.

Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
I sent in my United 1K credentials and got this message back today after waiting 2 weeks for a reply:

Thanks for your response.

We no longer offer a challenge for United 1K members switching to
American. This promotion was an unpublished offer, and we've decided to
suspend enrollment for the time being. I'm sorry to disappoint you. We
hope that you're successful in earning your desired elite status soon.

Regards,

Andrew <redacted>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Others than UA 1Ks can challenge for status as described in:
Help Desk: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

For questions regarding AA Elite status, see AAdvantage Elite Status and Elite Status Benefits on aa.com.

Step #1 is to call AAdvantage Customer Service:

U.S. or Canada AAdvantage Customer Service
1-800-882-8880
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
1-817-963-7882 (Fax)

From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-786-3796
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
The process:
  1. Call AAdvantage Customer Service for the requirements
  2. You send AAdvantage the required documentation of your current UA status
  3. They reply you are qualified to the match challenge and ask you to confirm that you want to enroll in the challenge, and provide some details on the requirements
  4. You reply via email saying you wish to do the match
  5. They send the final email describing also what your AA Executive Platinum benefits will be for the duration of the match period
Code:
November, 2013 email 

Dear Mr. AAspirant,

Thank you for your interest in making American Airlines your first
choice for all your travel needs.

We are pleased to grant you a special AAdvantage Executive Platinum®**
(oneworld® Emerald) membership, valid through February 25, 2014 (or other date). Once
your status takes effect, your membership card will be mailed within 3
to 5 weeks to the address on your account. This one-time trial offer
will afford you all of the privileges and most of the benefits of this
level, including:

• Complimentary 500-Mile Upgrades (see www.aa.com/500mileupgrades)
  • 100% mileage bonus on base miles for eligible flights
  • Waived AA charges for two checked bags within current size and weight limits
  • PriorityAAccessSM privileges at airport check-in, security and boarding gates
In addition, if you earn 25,000 elite-qualifying points& by flying on select airlines* while enjoying this special AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, we will extend your membership through February 28, 2015 and deposit eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades** into your account. For more information about earning elite-qualifying points, visit aa.com/elitestatus at your convenience. We're here to help, should you have any questions related to this limited offer. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. Kindest Regards, XXX XXX AAdvantage Customer Service American Airlines * Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, US Airways, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair, as well as eligible codeshare flights. Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for this offer. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually. **AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status received through this offer does not automatically include the eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades that are granted upon meeting the standard qualification requirements for this membership level. To receive this benefit, you must earn 25,000 points as noted above. Upon qualification, these upgrades will be deposited into your account within two weeks following your qualifying flight and will be valid for travel through February 28, 2015.
&American Airlines and US Airways flights earn from 0.5 to 1.5 Elite Qualifying Points per base / Elite Qualifying Miles. See here. The challenge is based on Points, not miles; one could fly deep discount fares and have to fly 50,000 miles to earn 25,000 points, and as few as 16,667 miles on B, Y and higher fares. Be aware: different airline partners may award fractional miles as well as fractional points for some fares, or even none for fares not listed on aa.com.

Older posts have been archived off. They can be read as follows:

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)
(full straight-on Status Match, April 2012)

and

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA Elites a status match "challenge"
(beginning May 2012, the offer becomes a status match challenge)

Print Wikipost

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Thank you all for your help.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: None
Since you're US gold, you will automatically become an AAdvantage member in the next 1-2 years because of the AA/US merger and whatever miles you have in your US account will become AAdvantage miles. In the meantime, you could increase your flying on US to up your status in preparation for merging with AAdvantage if you want to. AA/US also have started a fly either airline credit to either airline program so you could fly on AA and credit to US. Through March 2nd, I believe, there is a bonus promo - fly one, credit the other and get a 50% bonus on miles. I think the bonus miles don't count for status, only redemptions, but 50% more miles is something to consider for future use.

Jim
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
I just called AA today and requested a status match 1K to EXP. I have never requested a match before and have no current status with AA. I was told no more status matches outright, and was offered a challenge (standard 25K in 3 months, and documentation of 2014 1K status). The agent was quite pleasant, but the hold time was 30 minutes, reinforcing my belief that chasing status is a time zapper.

I also received the email for the platinum promo (HVFP1), which I decided to to instead of the EXP challenge. I have only paid F trips coming up and I'm not sure I would make 25K minimum for EXP with the flying volume I have in the next 3 months.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA offers challenges and status matches utilizing either miles or points, and occasionally offers the flyer their option of either. When you refer to 25K, which are you referring to? If it's points and you're flying paid F, it's a much quicker road than miles. It might be confusing to other UA flyers exactly how you're getting your EXP status. Can you clarify (or just edit the post)?

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
Has anyone tried to backdate a challenge? I've flown ~ 22k points since January 1st and I forgot to do the challenge. I'm probably not going to be flying anymore this year, maybe a couple of flights here and there..
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
I have a question regarding the process of requesting a second match, if such a thing is possible, back in 2012 when AA made the EXP match for 1Ks I went for it only because it included the eVIPs but apparently I did so a slight bit too late and didn't get the eVIPs so when they did get around to responding to my request I replied back explaining I no longer wanted the status match.

The reason being that I had several paid-C flights in the coming months and figured UA F was slightly better than AA J. They responded, and to their credit they did so rather quickly and in a personal non-copy/paste email format (can you tell I've been flying UA for awhile?) that they were not going to rescind my status match despite my request and telling them I would not be flying AA they just said enjoy the status. I did end up taking one flight, SEA-JFK and it was rather enjoyable, but that was all. Apparently I was given a soft-landing to Platinum, though I didn't fly any AA flights this year, and was sent an email explaining I was going to lose all status which is completely understandable.

So fast forward to late 2013 and now it seems UA decided to completely crap the bed and is on a mission to ensure that anyone who pays premium fares never flies UA ever again, and I'm more than happy to oblige them in their quest. The doubling of miles for awards on *A was the final straw. Leading me to my question, as I have understood it usually status matches are 1 time events but I'd prefer to get a second go at this next month and make the switch over to AA/OW. Again I will drop from the "soft landing" Plat to GM and have requalified for 1K so would have that documentation to send in. I will have at least 1, probably 2, paid F intl flights in Q1 if that helps. Has anyone heard of AA allowing someone to get a second status match, especially this soon?
Thanks
Thought I'd follow up on this, I was able to get the EXP challenge and I have to say I am very impressed with how fast they responded via email. I called and explained my situation, they sent me an email asking for the documentation which I provided and within 18 hours I had the response granting me the 3mo EXP with the 25K EQP challenge to keep EXP for the year. It might have helped in that I did wait to do this until after I had booked the paid F international trip to GRU and their email requesting the documentation asked for the date and PNR of next AA trip which is that trip. Kind of excited to try out the new F on the 77W, from the pictures I've seen it looks better than UAs F suite on the 777.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by honghong322
Has anyone tried to backdate a challenge? I've flown ~ 22k points since January 1st and I forgot to do the challenge. I'm probably not going to be flying anymore this year, maybe a couple of flights here and there..
I've heard of them backdating a few weeks -- I'd call them up ASAP to see if they'll give you the whole month of January
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
Thought I'd follow up on this, I was able to get the EXP challenge and I have to say I am very impressed with how fast they responded via email. I called and explained my situation, they sent me an email asking for the documentation which I provided and within 18 hours I had the response granting me the 3mo EXP with the 25K EQP challenge to keep EXP for the year. It might have helped in that I did wait to do this until after I had booked the paid F international trip to GRU and their email requesting the documentation asked for the date and PNR of next AA trip which is that trip. Kind of excited to try out the new F on the 77W, from the pictures I've seen it looks better than UAs F suite on the 777.
My bold. Miles better IMO. Enjoy!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:12 pm

Hi guys, total newb to the boards, but I wanted to add my .02 to the conversation. I called in and spoke to AA and they offered me the EXP challenge from UA 1K. I know it's not new news, but I know it's been a bit hit or miss whether they'll allow it, so I thought I'd throw one in for the "yes" column. The lady was really friendly, and she said something that sparked my interest...she said that they "haven't started doing the match with Delta yet." The way she said it made it sound like there might be a DM - EXP challenge coming up at some point.

I've got a MR of 10698 EXP booked so far (included the PNR on my doc request, hopefully that helps it go through quickly), now I just need to find another ~14000 exp or so! Time to go back to the MR forum and keep scouring.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by missbehave
I've got a MR of 10698 EXP booked so far (included the PNR on my doc request, hopefully that helps it go through quickly), now I just need to find another ~14000 exp or so!
So if your challenge based on miles and not points?

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
So if your challenge based on miles and not points?

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Thanks for the welcome.

And I think I was assuming that it was based on EQP because I thought that the GLD and PLT challenges were EQP only. Now that I've looked at that targeted ad that went out, though, I'm wondering if it isn't EQM after all.

EQP is actually better for me though, I'm booked into A for my upcoming MR. It'll figure if it's EQM only though. I guess that'll make me rethink how I book the rest of my MRs to complete the challenge.

Sorry, this probably sounds incredibly noob-ish and disorganized. I'll get there.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by honghong322
I have been offered to start it one week earlier, but it was of no help as I had zero flight...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Global Services based near Philadelphia-should I consider switching to AA?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
Global Services based near Philadelphia-should I consider switching to AA?
Probably depends how dissatisfied you are with UA, but without knowing "where" you plan to fly it would be difficult for anyone to really offer an opinion. There are US nonstops to LAX and SFO from PHL, but you can't use AA upgrades on those, so if you did a status match or challenge to AA you'd be sitting in the back of the plane until the two programs are consolidated. AA doesn't fly nonstop on those routes. If you didn't mind connecting you'd probably fare pretty well on AA for upgrades at the EXP level.

Tom who just arrived in Philadelphia 2 hours ago
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Under the T&C,:

* Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American
Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan
Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair, as well as eligible codeshare flights.
Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for
this offer.
You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership
annually.

I have a BA/AA J trip coming up totaling 16,890 miles, I'll get 1.5X EQP, meaning 25,335 EQP so I should be able to meet the challenge in one trip.

If I'm reading the T&C right though, the bonus 50% EQP doesn't count for the challenge though? So I'll need to fly another 8110 base EQP on top of my already book J trip to successfully complete the challenge?

Last edited by dchen2; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.