Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award bookable on AA.com (AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ)

Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld and non-oneworld airline awards currently bookable on AA.com:
AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ
The current, up-to-date list of airlines that can be booked online for AAdvantage awards is at this link.
Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:

oneworld alliance partners
  • AA - American Airlines
  • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ airline imposed surcharge)
  • AY - Finnair
  • IB - Iberia*
  • JL - Japan Airlines
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • QF - Qantas
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
  • Now QR and SL are bookable too
Other airline participants
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • FJ - Fiji Airlines
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines
*as of July 2019

NOTE: To search for partner awards, go to advanced search from the awards search or home page and select all airlines.

For travel using AAdvantage miles on other airlines, you must call reservations (you only pay the applicable "optional" fee for if you can book online but choose to call).

List of airlines you can use in redeeming awards:
oneworld airlines (and their oneworld affiliates) are:
  • AA - American Airlines and American Eagle
  • BA - British Airways (and BA Cityflyer, Comair, Eastern Airways, Open Skies, Sun Air of Scandinavia, BA Limited) (incurs high YQ surcharge)
  • CX - Cathay Pacific (and KA - Dragonair)
  • AY - Finnair (and Privilege Style, Flybe Finland)
  • IB - Iberia (and Air Nostrum, Iberia Express) (incurs YQ surcharge)
  • JL - Japan Airlines (and J-Air)
  • LA - LAN (and LAN Express, LAN Colombia, LP - LAN Peru)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian
  • QF - Qantas (and QantasLink, Jetconnect)
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • S7 - S7 (and Globus)
  • UL - SriLankan Airlines
  • JJ - TAM
Non-oneworld airlines one can redeem (MileSAAver) awards on are:
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • EY - Etihad
  • FJ - Fiji Airways
  • GF - Gulf Air
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • 9W - Jet Airways (India) (not partner any more)
Check this oneworld interactive map and timetable by Innosked to see potential routes, and you can sign up for British Airways Executive Club, Japan Airlines Miles and More or Qantas Frequent Flyer to use their sites to find awards (look for the lowest level awards) you can't see on aa.com. Also see this link to AA.com listing oneworld airlines with information about each.
Print Wikipost

AA award bookable on AA.com (AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ)

Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
I have an AA award booking in J from MEL to LHR via Tokyo on JL and AY.

With the Ukraine situation its looking like the flights will either be cancelled or retimed to misconnect. I cant see any other award seats for those dates on another route (QF/MH/QR etc). Does AA have responsibility to rebook me or will they just refund my points?

Thanks!
AA can’t force a partner airline to make award seats available. If there’s nothing available, their only obligation is refund your miles.
AA *may* be willing to open up additional award seats on their own flights to accommodate you, but there’s no guarantee that will happen. And you’d still need to find partner availability from MEL to another airport where you can get on an AA flight since AA doesn’t fly to MEL.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Mar 3, 2022 at 1:35 am
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a data point about booking AY online.

I wanted an award ticket, starting in PHX, through ORD, then flying to HEL and on to FCO in J. Both AY segments had award space in J. When I priced it on the website, setting HEL as the final destination, it was fine (priced at 57.5k miles). When I set the final destination to FCO it only showed me AA routings, for ~300k miles.

I put the flight to HEL on hold and called in. The AA EXP desk agent was able to add the HEL-FCO leg with no issues (it did not break any routing rules, and did not increase the mileage cost). The whole call took only a couple of minutes. I then purchased it.

So, yes, it is bookable online, but it seems that if there are enough AA routings that will get you to the same destination, it will show pages and pages of those and never show the partner routing, even if you click "show more" all the way to the end (I assume that this problem is not limited to AY)
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I had the same issue with booking DFW-HEL-CPH on AY. AA.com will show AY as an option when searching for HEL but not CPH, so put DFW-HEL on hold and got an agent to add HEL-CPH.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
I have booked Y partner award flights JFK-HEL for a party of five (5) in June 2022 on AY with hopes of rebooking in J if J seats become available. Expert Flyer reports J9 n both the outbound and the return but award inventory is currently unavailable through EF. It has been a while since I flew AY, and I do not recall having an issue with award availability in J on AY when there are a bunch of seats left in J. Perhaps policies have changed. In any case, does anyone have experience with AY J availability for AA partner awards?

Thank you.

diaspora04
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:55 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by diaspora04
I have booked Y partner award flights JFK-HEL for a party of five (5) in June 2022 on AY with hopes of rebooking in J if J seats become available. Expert Flyer reports J9 n both the outbound and the return but award inventory is currently unavailable through EF. It has been a while since I flew AY, and I do not recall having an issue with award availability in J on AY when there are a bunch of seats left in J. Perhaps policies have changed. In any case, does anyone have experience with AY J availability for AA partner awards?

Thank you.

diaspora04
I have never seen AY release more than one business award seat at a time. Finding five business award seats during the summer is going to be very hard.

Last edited by DrinkSlinger; Mar 9, 2022 at 9:01 am
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
I have never seen AY release more than one business award seat at a time. Finding five business award seats during the summer is going to be very hard.
Agreed. Managed to do it in 2011, but that was an age ago.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:11 pm

I booked an upcoming mid April award flight using AA miles on IB, one way Granada GRX to Toulouse TLS. When I manage the booking on Iberia, it is asking for baggage fee $50 per bag and per segment! Flight has two segments with stopover in Madrid. I was able to get seat assignments, but left the baggage option open. I thought bags are free on award travel, is this not the case?

Today, a few days later, I was able to check in and get a boarding pass, but it never asked for baggage information. My wife and I usually check one bag per person. Very strange, is this an error?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by walterj
I booked an upcoming mid April award flight using AA miles on IB, one way Granada GRX to Toulouse TLS. When I manage the booking on Iberia, it is asking for baggage fee $50 per bag and per segment! Flight has two segments with stopover in Madrid. I was able to get seat assignments, but left the baggage option open. I thought bags are free on award travel, is this not the case?

Today, a few days later, I was able to check in and get a boarding pass, but it never asked for baggage information. My wife and I usually check one bag per person. Very strange, is this an error?
Your award ticket receipt from AA should indicate the cost -- if any -- of a first checked bag. What does your receipt say? If it indicates that the first checked bag is free for each passenger, print the receipt, and bring it with you to your departure airport.

I assume that you have a connection -- not a stopover -- in Madrid, so your baggage should be checked through to your final destination. The AAdvantage program does not permit stopovers on a single award.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Your award ticket receipt from AA should indicate the cost -- if any -- of a first checked bag. What does your receipt say? If it indicates that the first checked bag is free for each passenger, print the receipt, and bring it with you to your departure airport.

I assume that you have a connection -- not a stopover -- in Madrid, so your baggage should be checked through to your final destination. The AAdvantage program does not permit stopovers on a single award.
Thanks for your response. It is 5 hours and 10 minutes between flights.

I found the receipt and it indicates that the 1st bag is no charge. It appears the problem is with Iberia. It is booked in Premium Economy for both flights.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by walterj
Thanks for your response. It is 5 hours and 10 minutes between flights.

I found the receipt and it indicates that the 1st bag is no charge. It appears the problem is with Iberia. It is booked in Premium Economy for both flights.
Very good. (On international itineraries, anything less than 24 hours is usually considered a connection.)
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Looking for advice as this is getting frustrating. Had C award to PPT via HEL and NRT, but TN cancelled NRT flights until end of October.

Called to rebook and used EF to find that there are 2 seats on SEA-PPT on TN (supposedly the most difficult part). Agent could not find them, so asked me to do a booking, so I did and gave her record locator. I still have that booking on hold. However, they don’t seem to be able to add ANY C routing to SEA, though I am able to find many options (though with rather inconvenient night layovers, but what the heck) they do not see those available or unable to add them, only quoting additional milage payment. Spend couple of hours already. There is no stopover or anything.

Is this HUCA situation or am I missing something which would prevent EU-US-PPT routing with this involuntary change?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Looking for advice as this is getting frustrating. Had C award to PPT via HEL and NRT, but TN cancelled NRT flights until end of October.

Called to rebook and used EF to find that there are 2 seats on SEA-PPT on TN (supposedly the most difficult part). Agent could not find them, so asked me to do a booking, so I did and gave her record locator. I still have that booking on hold. However, they don’t seem to be able to add ANY C routing to SEA, though I am able to find many options (though with rather inconvenient night layovers, but what the heck) they do not see those available or unable to add them, only quoting additional milage payment. Spend couple of hours already. There is no stopover or anything.

Is this HUCA situation or am I missing something which would prevent EU-US-PPT routing with this involuntary change?
Yes, on a single Europe to South Pacific award you cannot connect in the US. Only way to book it is to pay for 2 awards, Europe-SEA + SEA-PPT. You can combine all the flights on the same reservation but it will cost the two awards.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, on a single Europe to South Pacific award you cannot connect in the US. Only way to book it is to pay for 2 awards, Europe-SEA + SEA-PPT. You can combine all the flights on the same reservation but it will cost the two awards.
thank you, i wish agents would be able to give such simple answer

So theoretically going EU-DOH-AKL-PPT would be valid routing? Theres availability as well, but the trip takes much longer.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta , Hilton
AA & Alaska Air

Can I book Alaska Air using AA points ? TY
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:23 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Yes

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.