Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing Ł6 for one person or Ł11 for a family one way, Ł11 for one person and Ł21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Any one have experience with immigration lines on a friday afternoon in early September? Heavier load? Lighter?
Really hard to generalise, but probably heavier than Wednesday noon. Take an earlier flight to minimise risk.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Hi All- I will be flying IBZ-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA with 2.5hrs connection time. These trips are on separate record locators, and my understanding is that I will have to pick up my checked bags, clear customs at Heathrow, head to the AA counter, and re-check them. Is this correct, and if so, is 2.5hrs enough time to make the international checked bag cut off?
Do you mean separate PNRs (locators) or separate tickets? They are not the same thing. AA and BA flights on the same ticket will have different record locators.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Do you mean separate PNRs (locators) or separate tickets? They are not the same thing. AA and BA flights on the same ticket will have different record locators.
Fully separate tickets. The IBZ-LHR flight is BA-operated with an IB codeshare, not an AA codeshare.. my overseas itinerary is AA-merketed/AA-operated. Opting to include the IBZ-LHR leg triggered a $1000+ upcharge as the entire itinerary had to be priced using the BA codeshares for the AA flights.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Thanks for the quick replies. So really what is being said here is that it takes well more than 1 hour to collect bags and get through customs? I've been through the long terminal to terminal shuttle rides, but my thought was that would run in parallel to the baggage getting to the conveyor.
But you have to wait for your baggage so you can reclaim it in (probably) Terminal 5 before you can even start to make your way to (probably) Terminal 3 to re-check it. It isn't happening in parallel. (Baggage arriving while you wait for immigration might be happening in parallel, granted.)

The problem is this might all be fine if your inbound is on time, but very much not fine if that is delayed.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any one have experience with immigration lines on a friday afternoon in early September? Heavier load? Lighter?
If you're transiting through LHR in September and are going to need to enter the UK to make your connection, do note that the E-Gates (currently reserved for EU passport holders and Registered Traveller members) will be opened to US passport holders (among other countries) in June. Though it means more people using the same number of E-Gates, it will significantly reduce your time spent waiting at UK immigration.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...irmed-for-june

Also note that AA treats OW-OW connections on separate tickets as through tickets for the sake of IRROPS or missed flights.

Last edited by potus18; May 9, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old May 9, 2019, 10:57 am

Good point. Would you know the order of operations to be gone through here?

1. Land @ LHR Terminal 5
2. Clear immigration @ T5
3. Pick up bags @ T5
4. Clear customs @ T5

Here is where I get a bit lost. As the next step, would I be able to check-in back and check my bags at the AA counter @ T5 or do i need to take an external shuttle to T3, where my LHR-LAX leg departs from?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by potus18
If you're transiting through LHR in September and are going to need to enter the UK to make your connection, do note that the E-Gates (currently reserved for EU passport holders and Registered Traveller members) will be opened to US passport holders (among other countries) in June. Though it means more people using the same number of E-Gates, it will significantly reduce your time spent waiting at UK immigration.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...irmed-for-june

Also note that AA treats OW-OW connections on separate tickets as through tickets for the sake of IRROPS or missed flights.
Sure seems like it!
https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...ance-sep18.pdf
Old May 9, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
There is no AA counter at T5. You will have to transfer landside to T3 to check in with AA there.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Good point. Would you know the order of operations to be gone through here?

1. Land @ LHR Terminal 5
2. Clear immigration @ T5
3. Pick up bags @ T5
4. Clear customs @ T5

Here is where I get a bit lost. As the next step, would I be able to check-in back and check my bags at the AA counter @ T5 or do i need to take an external shuttle to T3, where my LHR-LAX leg departs from?
5. Take the shuttle train to T3 (15-20mins)
6. Check in/ Drop your bag off at T3 AA desk (this may take a long time since you will have to wait for someone to ask you the Security questions required for travel to US, you will get a sticker on your passport to show you went through this questioning)
NOTE that check-in/bag drop must be done 60 Minutes before depature time, they may not let you check in/ check your bag if less than 60 mins.
7. X-Rays/Security at T3
8. Walk to Gate (It could be Gate 40, a long walk from security)
Old May 9, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
5. Take the shuttle train to T3 (15-20mins)
6. Check in/ Drop your bag off at T3 AA desk (this may take a long time since you will have to wait for someone to ask you the Security questions required for travel to US, you will get a sticker on your passport to show you went through this questioning)
NOTE that check-in/bag drop must be done 60 Minutes before depature time, they may not let you check in/ check your bag if less than 60 mins.
7. X-Rays/Security at T3
8. Walk to Gate (It could be Gate 40, a long walk from security)
Thank you for this Carlos! Very helpful to know that the extra questioning happens BEFORE checking bags. I could see that being the unforeseen circumstance that ruins the day..
Old May 9, 2019, 12:08 pm

Thank you for this Carlos! Very helpful to know that the extra questioning happens BEFORE checking bags. I could see that being the unforeseen circumstance that ruins the day..
The questioning itself is very quick.
How long it will take you to check-in/drop bag + questioning will depend on how busy check-in is (it can get VERY busy depending on time of day).

For me, this is a nerve-wracking type of connection, even if inbound flight is on time. So many steps and each step can potentially take a long time (immigration, train, check-in, security, long walk).
I like to have piece of mind and I would give myself at least 3.5 hours for this connection on separate tickets OR
have a carry-on only (no checked bags) for a tighter connection.
beachfan likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
That's kind of irrelevant - 1) If you're booked on a single AA flight that's a BA codeshare, you'll also have two different record locators, which is only a function of the two airlines using different reservation systems. 2) If you're on both a BA and an AA flight, you'll also have two PNRs, but each will have BOTH segments on it, which is what matters here. (Since if you have 5 or more segments, you'd also have multiple ticket numbers, and that wouldn't be a problem).
Old May 9, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Train? Isn’t it a bus between T5 and T3.

Ive taken a train within T5 from the lounge to the further gates. I don’t know if you have to take a train within T5 from some of the further gates just to get to the part of T5 that you connect to the bus.

ive waited a half hour for the bus from T5 to T3, plus 20 minutes for the ride.

if you are unfamiliar with LHR, you need a little extra time than those who are familiar.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Train? Isn’t it a bus between T5 and T3.

Bus is for airside connections.
OP is doing a landside connection, not sure if there is a bus. I only know of train (heathrow express or tube)
Old May 9, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bus is for AIRSIDE connections, behind immigration/security.
But OP will need to go LANDSIDE to collect his bag.
He can take either the Heathrow Express or the Tube (Underground), but I think you need an oyster card to use the Tube (even though it's free), whereas they'll give out free transfer tickets for the HEX.
HEX runs every 15 minutes and is about 5 minutes of travel time (plus some walking). So figure total of 20-40 minutes from exiting customs at T5 to check-in at T3.
Tube is probably a little more frequent but probably travels a little slower.

There should be a whole thread about T5<->T3 transfers at LHR, probably both in the AA and the BA forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.