Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing Ł6 for one person or Ł11 for a family one way, Ł11 for one person and Ł21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
This is the same one I went through earlier. It seemed like overall there was slightly less walking involved with the new location since the new bus stop is closer to the new FCC, while it seemed like the old bus stop was farther away from the old FCC.

One downside is that unlike the old FCC where the exit was near the entrances to the T3 lounges, the exit of the new FCC spits you out at the shopping/general waiting area, so you have to walk through people waiting around, walking slowly, etc. Although I did notice there may have been a way to bypass all that (I think I remember seeing a signed passageway for short connections near the exit).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Yes, thank you KARFA, for the great pictures and thoughtful explanation. This looks like it will be nicer, finally.

And the Admiral's Club might finally get its apron views back? Are they taking down the old, temporary FCC?
thanks econometrics

i am not sure about the old FCC, I would imagine it will be removed over time unless there is something else it is needed for.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
advice with for 1:45 time T3 to T5 - with no mistakes

We have flights scheduled ORD>LHR>PSA next month. Looks like we are scheduled to arrive T3 (AA metal) at 6:50am and depart T5 BA at 8:35.
Legal connection but tight.
I've been through Heathrow but not generally this tight when connecting and it has been several years. So, I'd prefer not to make one of those stupid mistakes of getting in a long line where I didn't really have to or find out when I get to the head of the line that I had a shorter option or, worse, was in the completely wrong line .
We will be in J ORD>LHR and CE LHR >PSA; I am Platinum Pro (OW Sapphire) my husband has no status.
From what I read this should get us into Fasttrack at T5 security but I have a couple of clarification questions to the "route"
My understanding:
- We deplane at T3, take purple connection path that will lead to the T5 buses - no security, immigration, etc to this point?
- We get off bus. I presume there are connecting to T5 signs here and that this is an airside controlled area where they drop us off and not just general airport departure entrance?
- If we have our onward boarding passes, do we go straight to security, Fasttrack lane? Is this where we will go through the carryon bag check and general security check (your basic normal security checkpointbut maybe with maybe some additional baggage size check)? Do we ever have to stop by a BA desk if we have boarding passes?
- If we don't have onward boarding passes (I never trust AA on this one), when we get off the bus are there obvious checkin counters for BA nearby? Will there be premium cabin/elite lines for these counters?
- Once through security, I know we have to see which part of 5 we are in but is it worth it to have the Heathrow app on our phone to quickly check where we would be headed if we are tight on time? [I'm seriously not planning to have lounge time]
This may seem anal but we've had too many times where we've waited in long lines just to find out that there was a business/fastrack/elite/whatever line that we had missed or WORSE that there were forms we should have had filled out that they didn't give us on the plane (thank you Hong Kong and Cathay - didn't make that mistake twice!).
If someone has done a step by step report of this scenario or pretty close that I've missed in my search, feel free to point me in the right direction.

AJ
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by aj411
We deplane at T3, take purple connection path that will lead to the T5 buses - no security, immigration, etc to this point?
correct, just head for the bus, no checks or security until you get to T5

- We get off bus. I presume there are connecting to T5 signs here and that this is an airside controlled area where they drop us off and not just general airport departure entrance?
correct, you will be airside but you are in the arrivals stream (departing and arriving passengers are segregated)

- If we have our onward boarding passes, do we go straight to security, Fasttrack lane? Is this where we will go through the carryon bag check and general security check (your basic normal security checkpointbut maybe with maybe some additional baggage size check)? Do we ever have to stop by a BA desk if we have boarding passes?
head to the far right of the flight connection centre, you'll find the signed fast track channel for international connections there, you have access based on being in CE for your flight to PSA, you will have a quick bp check then up the escalators to security. you will not have to go through immigration if you stay airside during your connection

- If we don't have onward boarding passes (I never trust AA on this one), when we get off the bus are there obvious checkin counters for BA nearby? Will there be premium cabin/elite lines for these counters?
you can just get your bp at T5 at the flight connections centre, same place you have it checked in the fast track channel. however, AA should be able to provide you with your bp at ORD and they usually are able to do it for onward connections in my experience

- Once through security, I know we have to see which part of 5 we are in but is it worth it to have the Heathrow app on our phone to quickly check where we would be headed if we are tight on time? [I'm seriously not planning to have lounge time]
you can use the LHR app or BA app to check on which gate your PSA flight goes from. it could be from A gate sin the main building or possibly a B or C gate on the satellite buildings. there are also lots of information screens everywhere showing gate numbers

This may seem anal but we've had too many times where we've waited in long lines just to find out that there was a business/fastrack/elite/whatever line that we had missed or WORSE that there were forms we should have had filled out that they didn't give us on the plane (thank you Hong Kong and Cathay - didn't make that mistake twice!).
If someone has done a step by step report of this scenario or pretty close that I've missed in my search, feel free to point me in the right direction.
hopefully this helps A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

there is also some information on the LHR website
aj411 and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Excellent questions. See answers in line.

Cheers.

We have flights scheduled ORD>LHR>PSA next month. Looks like we are scheduled to arrive T3 (AA metal) at 6:50am and depart T5 BA at 8:35.
brp> Yeah, a bit tight, but very doable. We've gone from T3->T5 and been in a lounge in 30 minutes (but not always)
We will be in J ORD>LHR and CE LHR >PSA; I am Platinum Pro (OW Sapphire) my husband has no status.
From what I read this should get us into Fasttrack at T5 security but I have a couple of clarification questions to the "route"
brp> I think so, but not sure as we're both EXP (Emerald) and that definitely works
My understanding:
- We deplane at T3, take purple connection path that will lead to the T5 buses - no security, immigration, etc to this point?
brp>Correct
brp>Correct
brp>The bag check is after you clear the BP check (regular of FastTrack). If you don't have the BP, there are desks right before the BP check. Also,. if you get the BA app, you will likely be able to get mobile BP there. If you have them, no need to stop at all.
brp>There are ample displays to find gates. Also, if you do get through quickly, the gate might not even be posted. Lounge time will, indeed, be tight. If you do have time, though, head to Galleries South. The bigger issues come if you're in B or C gates wehre you need to take a train to satellite terminals. But the boards should have sufficient info. Also, the BA app..
brp>I thnk you've nailed it pretty well
AJ
JDiver and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I've been through Heathrow but not generally this tight when connecting and it has been several years. So, I'd prefer not to make one of those stupid mistakes of getting in a long line where I didn't really have to or find out when I get to the head of the line that I had a shorter option or, worse, was in the completely wrong line .
My understanding:

AJ
1:45 should be plenty and with a little luck and short waits for buses and/or security you might even find yourself with 20-30 mins of lounge time.

You are correct, exit the AA flight at T3 and follow purple flight connections signs to the T5 bus. No security or anything like that after arriving in T3.

You'll arrive at T5 on the ground level, take the escalators up and walk down a short bit to the T5 transfer area. When looking at area, the fast track lines are farthest to the right. The first line will be for a quick scan of your boarding pass, after which you'll pass through, go up more escalators, and be in the security line. If for whatever the reason you can't get your BA boarding pass when you check-in, there are tons of BA counters in the same area before the boarding pass check.

PSA will most likely depart from the main T5A area so once you clear security you're at most a 5 min walk to the gate. I really wouldn't stress about downloading the Heathrow app or anything like that, most of the time gates aren't posted until 30-40 mins before flight time anyway and there are lots of signs you can check along the way.
aj411 and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Thanks everyone! exactly what I was looking for
AJ
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
The other answers are exactly correct. When you get to area in T5 where they first check boarding passes ("Flight Conformance"), just head over to your right. That is the fast track lane which will take you up the escalators into the fast track security. You can't go wrong if you get in that line.

About the Heathrow app: Some years back I downloaded the app so I could track, over a couple of weeks, the gate "my" flight was using. I figured I might see some kind of pattern, then be able to head toward the north or south part of the terminal and wait nearer my departure gate. After a few weeks, I saw there was no pattern. "My" flight left from gates in the north, south, mid-way and occasionally from T5B.

Since then, I have a new plan. When I go through Flight Conformance, remember the first boarding pass check in T5 where you enter the fast track system, I politely ask the checker if they have my gate "penciled in". I use those exact words to indicate I know that anything they tell me is tentative and that I know to watch the monitors in the terminal for the official, true gate assignment.

If I can get the "penciled in" gate number, then I wait near that gate, but still keep a sharp eye on the terminal monitors for my gate assignment. Once my gate is announced, I go there right away. That sometimes works, sometimes it does not.

One problem with the BA Galleries lounges is that the two lounges are at the far north and south part of the terminal. (There is another lounge in T5B.) That could make for a long walk if your gate is announced at the opposite end of the terminal. My personal preference is to just wait about mid-way, unless I get that "penciled in" gate number. When you are short on time, skipping the lounge is probably for the best.
aj411 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Aa136 To ba910

Hi,

l will arrive from lax on aa136 in t5 and have to cath the ba910 in t3.
but... aa just changes time scheduke of aa136, will be leaving at 7.35pm (was 6.35pm before)... problem is i just will have 50 min to change terminal.

what i am suppoaed to do? Ask aa to put me on the next flight? Or is it possible to have a epress access?

many thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Usavril
Hi,

but... aa just changes time scheduke of aa136, will be leaving at 7.35pm (was 6.35pm before)... problem is i just will have 50 min to change terminal.

what i am suppoaed to do? Ask aa to put me on the next flight? Or is it possible to have a epress access?

many thanks!
You need to call and ask to be put on a different connection as 50 minutes is below the MCT even for T5-T5 connections, much less a T3-T5 connection.

One slight correction to your post, AA136 will arrive at T3. BA910 to FRA departs from T5.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Hi,

many thanks!
Originally Posted by wrp96

You need to call and ask to be put on a different connection as 50 minutes is below the MCT even for T5-T5 connections, much less a T3-T5 connection.

One slight correction to your post, AA136 will arrive at T3. BA910 to FRA departs from T5.
AA may have proactively moved you to a later connection, but a call to AA will easily resolve the situation. If they haven’t already done so, they will make the change without a change fee.

Alternatively you could ask them to move you to the earlier LAX-LHR flight.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Thanka.
as it will be a return of vacation, i dont want to leave lax earlier
so I'll call aa tomorrow to ask for a changr.

many thanks for your help!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

Hi,
just to note AA136 arrives in to T3 at LHR, and BA910 to MUC departs from T5.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:32 am

Sorry I switched the terminals
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:20 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
connecting in LHR T3 to T5 on 11/21/18

I flew AA 100 (JFK-LHR) which arrived 20 minutes early (would have been 40 min. early, but we were in a holding pattern).
We deplaned* at the furthest end of T3, hence lots of walking, reaching the "FLIGHT CONNECTION" cut off there was a huge queue, the electronic board noted: "we are experiencing delays...". Reaching T5 the queue for Fast Track security had a large queue, so pax were directed to non-FT lines, to "equalize" the wait. After exiting security I headed for South Lounge (less crowded than North). The only PLUS for the whole connection was that my flt from LHR to ZRH departed from a gate near the South Lounge.
Of course none of the above would have been an issue had AA not removed the n/s between JFK and ZRH.
*does AA get to pick landing gates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.