Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing Ł6 for one person or Ł11 for a family one way, Ł11 for one person and Ł21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Zigzagdc
Perhaps if BA stopped increasing the fares 2-3X for a single PNR, we wouldn't buy separate tickets. It doesn't cost an extra $2k to move my bags from one plane to another.
What fares are you referring to? As a general rule, single PNRs are usually cheaper than multiple PNRs, because BA (like other airlines) has to charge less for connecting itineraries than for direct flights originating/terminating in LHR.

There are of course exceptions, and the above doesn't help those who for example want to combine award tickets with paid tickets. However it is plainly not the case that BA ordinarily charges 2-3x more for a single PNR than separate tickets.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton honors Silver
T3>T5 landside connection tips

​​​​​My son is currently enroute IND-PHL-LHR on AA with a separate onward ticket on BA LHR-DXB. He's sitting in Philly right now. He's got a 3:25 connection window at LHR and PHL-LHR is scheduled on-time The gate agent in Indy forced him to check his carry-on which they tagged to LHR. Which has taken him from being able to transfer airside to now having to do the landside trek. He does have his onward BP so when he gets to T5 he'll go right to security, and skip the check-in counter. Does 3:25 seem reasonable to make the terminal change given the need to clear Immigration, retrieve his bag, hoof it to the HE, clear T5 security? He tried to get the bag pulled out on Philly to no avail, same with getting it tagged to Dubai while in transit. The Philly flight gets in 9:10 AM and the Dubai flight leaves 12:35. He'll try to beg a fast track pass from the FA once he's on board the London flight. Other than pleadng his way through the T3 immigration and T5 security lines any other ways to try to shave time off this transfer?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Barring anything out of the ordinary, he should be fine. I did something similar in about 2:45 from doors open to through security in T5. But he doesn't have much room for error. No dilly dallying around in the arrivals lounge!

Edit: If he can sweet talk an FA into a fast track invitation, he might shave some more time through immigration and security reclear.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jtav559
Barring anything out of the ordinary, he should be fine. I did something similar in about 2:45 from doors open to through security in T5. But he doesn't have much room for error. No dilly dallying around in the arrivals lounge!

Edit: If he can sweet talk an FA into a fast track invitation, he might shave some more time through immigration and security reclear.

Cheers- good to know. Too bad there's no way to go back through security in T3 and access the airside shuttle bus over to T5. Bet that would've shortened the time.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by commontraveller
Cheers- good to know. Too bad there's no way to go back through security in T3 and access the airside shuttle bus over to T5. Bet that would've shortened the time.
to be fair it probably wouldn't be much quicker if at all once you go landside if you could go back airside at t3.

the other major consequence of the agent's action is that he will now have to go through immigration at t3 whereas with an airside connection he would not have done.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:38 am

Turns out you were pretty much right- he made it in just under 90 min. His brother who went straight through on the airside transfer beat him by just 20 min. We haven't talked live (t-Mobile in middle of a network-wide outage across the UK!!) but he clearly lucked out with no queues to speak of to make it that quick. And airline came through as expected..nada on the fast track pass.
justforfun, TWA884 and jtav559 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Flying AA business LAX-LHR, then BA's Club World to JNB with a 6 hour connect time. I'd like to use the showers at AA's T3 arrivals lounge and will seek out a Fast Track card for going landside at T3. Upon re-entering T5, is there a fast track lane for departures? If so, will my Club World BP allow me into the Fast Track lane at T5 for departures, or should I try to get a second Fast Track card from the AA purser ? (I'm doubtful it will happen, tho)
And, if a Fast Track card is used for T5 departures, is it the same card used for T3? If I am only allocated one card and the exit lines to go landside at T3 are short, I was wondering if I should instead save the card for use at T5.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Flying AA business LAX-LHR, then BA's Club World to JNB with a 6 hour connect time. I'd like to use the showers at AA's T3 arrivals lounge and will seek out a Fast Track card for going landside at T3. Upon re-entering T5, is there a fast track lane for departures? If so, will my Club World BP allow me into the Fast Track lane at T5 for departures, or should I try to get a second Fast Track card from the AA purser ? (I'm doubtful it will happen, tho)
And, if a Fast Track card is used for T5 departures, is it the same card used for T3? If I am only allocated one card and the exit lines to go landside at T3 are short, I was wondering if I should instead save the card for use at T5.
When you get to T5 (you can use the Heathrow Express or tube from T3, both are free but the tube requires a contactless card or oyster card) you can use the fast track lane for security based on your CW LHR-JNB bp. You do not need any additional voucher for that.

There is a fast track security lane at both north and south security in T5 - I always found north fast track quieter. Using HEX or tube you will come up to the north end of T5 anyway and the entrance to north fast track is separate and about 50m left to normal security.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are fast track lanes at T5, and access is based on your class of service or status on your boarding pass. There is no fast track card required, and certainly the one from AA at T3 would be useless there (just show your BP).

The fast track lanes at T5 may save you a minute or two at the boarding pass conformance check, but IME the security lanes are often backed up just as much as the regular lines, so I wouldn't stress.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The fast track lanes at T5 may save you a minute or two at the boarding pass conformance check, but IME the security lanes are often backed up just as much as the regular lines, so I wouldn't stress.
Not really. North fast track security especially is rarely busy. Typically when I have used it (quite often before the first wing opened) there were rarely more than 4-5 people waiting if that. Even south fast track (which was always busier) is now quieter due to F and golds now using the first wing.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
wouldn't it be easier to use the showers inside one of the T3 or T5 lounges? Then you could stay airside, although you still have to read clear security at T5
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
wouldn't it be easier to use the showers inside one of the T3 or T5 lounges? Then you could stay airside, although you still have to read clear security at T5
If staying airside using the showers in T5 would be easiest for the OP - there isn't an easy way when arriving to go to the departure area in T3 unless connecting on to a T3 departing flight.

I must admit I didn't think of your suggestion, and you are right though that staying airside could be better as the OP would avoid having to do immigration.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Similar question as Peanuts. AA J into T3 -> BA CE (to DUB) from T5.

Arriving around 10:10, departing at 13:25, so just over 3 hours. Wife will need a fix by then, after a 10hr flight. I guess there is a place she can grab a puff before the bus at T3, while still airside?

While the AA arrivals lounge would be nice, would time allow? Fast track for immigration, so would that speed it up? What options would there be airside for a quick shower (we can speed it up and share one) in either T3 or T5? Admirals Club?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Great info everyone -- thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Looking for some LHR connection guru's for some guidance Thanks to a schedule change trying to figure out what to do so I don't have an 8 hour LHR layover.

Was originally scheduled for AA flight into T3 then 1:30 connection time to BA in T5 for flight to BLL. Well of course AA changed their schedule and departed 5 min later so now our connection time is 1:25 - which is technically "invalid" so the system put me on next flight to BLL which leaves 8 hours later. I do NOT want to spend 8 hours in LHR.

So here is my question:

Is 1:25 enough to connect between T3 and T5? I have status but my companion does not so fast track seems to be out. Is that extra 5 min really matter? Maybe I get get AA to force ticket?

Other option seems to be to switch flight outta JFK to a BA one which will land in T5. This will leave me with a "valid" T5 connection time of 1:15.

I really want to make the AA flight work as we are in the new Premium Economy seats on AA's 77W. The BA flight is a 744 and would be in economy.

Advice? thoughts? Thanks so much in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.