FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

ijgordon Apr 18, 16 8:26 am


Originally Posted by AndyHall (Post 26494019)
Thanks! I tried via AA.com but they just redirected the page to BA, which still won't give me the BP.
I only have carry on, and would prefer prefer to skip the check in counter as the flight is really early. I'll try to get the BP at T3.

It's not at all surprising that you can't get both boarding passes through OLCI. However, it would be surprising if the BA check-in agent couldn't issue the AA boarding pass when you get to the airport for your first flight. (Not to say that it can't happen).

So just plan on getting the boarding pass for the AA flight at your departure airport (and then plan on AA reprinting that BP at some point on your journey through LHR on its own stock...)

muishkin Apr 18, 16 9:57 am


Originally Posted by iplaybass (Post 26495202)
We're traveling in December over the holiday, and AA wants to book me a legal transfer at 1:35 (0820-0955) from T5-T3. I've never done T5-T3 in less than 2 hours, but that was several years ago. I have less stressful options getting us home later, but would you do it?

If it makes you feel better.. I just did T5-T3 yesterday in a personal record time of 25 minutes flat. This is the time I measured from disembarking the plane in T5 to when I got into the BA First Lounge in T3.

econometrics Apr 18, 16 10:14 am


Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 26501608)
If it makes you feel better.. I just did T5-T3 yesterday in a personal record time of 25 minutes flat. This is the time I measured from disembarking the plane in T5 to when I got into the BA First Lounge in T3.

^

My personal best is 20 min from walking off my QR flight in T4 to the AA gate at T3. Granted, I was running. 😁

I find that my T5-T3 (and vice versa) connections are usually around 30-40 min average.

brp Apr 18, 16 10:36 am


Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 26501700)
^

My personal best is 20 min from walking off my QR flight in T4 to the AA gate at T3. Granted, I was running. ��

I find that my T5-T3 (and vice versa) connections are usually around 30-40 min average.

We did a 24 minute T3-T5 with no running, but that was like magic. This was on the plane through T5 security. We walk fast anyway. Bus right there, no line at T5 security. Will never happen again.

Cheers.

econometrics Apr 18, 16 10:43 am


Originally Posted by brp (Post 26501834)
We did a 24 minute T3-T5 with no running, but that was like magic. This was on the plane through T5 security. We walk fast anyway. Bus right there, no line at T3 security. Will never happen again.

Cheers.

Ha, true. When the bus is just there waiting for you, and there's no security line.. you know that's about once in a lifetime. ^

Microwave Apr 22, 16 10:27 am

A recent post about a VS to BA transfer at LHR has been put into its own thread in the UK and Ireland forum here.

~Moderator

Cheynewalk Apr 22, 16 3:17 pm


Originally Posted by brp (Post 26501064)

Then look at the after-desk. Failing that, BP at the AC and questions-and-answer at the gate.

Cheers.

FYI the Admirals Club personnel at LHR T3 told us they are not trained in ticketing and have no way to print a boarding pass. You would have to get a BP at the American Airlines desk after flight connections and just before or after T3 security.

This is critical to know in IROPS if something happens once you are airside. Keep your old BP and ask the AC staff at T3 to call the EXP help desk (or AA reservatuons I assume) if you are airside already and need a new BP or a new flight for some reason. The ExP help desk can help with the reservation but can't help get you through LHR security. LHR T3 AC can get you on the phone to EXP help desk but can't actually print a BP. At least that is what they told us.

Cheynewalk Apr 22, 16 3:25 pm

And btw what happened is that the GA looked up the ticket from the old BP and printed the new BP on AA bp stock at the gate.It's really stressful for them with the temporary setup from construction and all. The GA literally had to carry the blank BP stock to the gate in her purse and only one of the printers was working. I wouldn't recommend or count on being able to get your BP at the lounge.

Calchas Apr 22, 16 3:37 pm


Originally Posted by Cheynewalk (Post 26522451)
FYI the Admirals Club personnel at LHR T3 told us they are not trained in ticketing and have no way to print a boarding pass. You would have to get a BP at the American Airlines desk after flight connections and before T3 security.

Printing a boarding pass ≠ ticketing ... where do they find these people!

Cheynewalk Apr 22, 16 3:43 pm

I think he meant that by way of an explanation/apology, not necessarily to equate the two. They said they can't do either at the T3 AC. It happened we were asking for both, but even after the ticket was changed we still could not get a BP at the lounge.

Sorry if the extraneous detail obscured my point. It is merely that the LHR T3 AC does not have the BP/rebooking powers that we are used to in domestic US ACs.

nbevan Apr 22, 16 11:35 pm


Originally Posted by Cheynewalk (Post 26522485)
And btw what happened is that the GA looked up the ticket from the old BP and printed the new BP on AA bp stock at the gate.It's really stressful for them with the temporary setup from construction and all. The GA literally had to carry the blank BP stock to the gate in her purse and only one of the printers was working. I wouldn't recommend or count on being able to get your BP at the lounge.

I wonder why AA needs a BP on AA stock, if for example you alreay hava BP printed by BA?

Cheynewalk Apr 22, 16 11:41 pm

They don't. The BA one would have worked on the original routing.

nbevan Apr 23, 16 12:13 am

So it is only a problem if your flights have changed. Although AA habitually reprint BPs, if you already have a BA issued BP and no flight changes you can skip the AA flight connections room and go straight to the gate with the BA issued BP.

Cheynewalk Apr 23, 16 12:33 am

Yes, that's right.

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I think the advantage of reprinting on AA stock (though it's not necessary) may be that the AA BP will say "DOCS OK" and perhaps you can then skip the docs "interrogation" just before the gate, which can be a hassle/bottleneck.

One of our party had a mini-"interrogation" at the Admirals Club in T3, whereupon they put some sort of sticker on her BP wallet. They didn't explain the sticker but indicated that it would be helpful somehow. The sticker later seemed to satisfy the LHR security doing the docs "interrogation," who kind of waved her through the "interrogation" upon seeing the sticker. Maybe that sticker is equivalent to a "DOCS OK" BP, but that part was not explained to us.

Calchas Apr 23, 16 4:52 am


Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 26523691)
I wonder why AA needs a BP on AA stock, if for example you alreay hava BP printed by BA?


Originally Posted by Cheynewalk (Post 26523696)
They don't. The BA one would have worked on the original routing.

They always reprint mine onto AA paper

Florp Apr 25, 16 12:46 pm

AA welcome lounge closed
 
Got this email from AA today:

"Our Arrivals Lounge in London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 3 will be temporarily closed during your upcoming trip. We're working to bring you an all new lounge experience later this summer.

We invite you to enjoy complimentary access to the British Airways Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 5 in the meantime."


I have a 4-hour layover at LHR (T3 -> T5 connecting flight) and wouldn't mind spending it in the BA lounge, but...
A) Will a business-class ticket get me in? According to this page, no, but I could swear I've seen posts that say otherwise.
B) Is it worth the hassle/risk of going land-side to use the lounge, then having to clear security again to come back in for my T5 connecting flight?

Thanks for any tips/hints!

KARFA Apr 25, 16 1:30 pm

A) yes you'll have access since you are arriving in J on AA

B) you would have to go through security anyway at T5. The only extra step is you would have to cross the UK border to go landisde, whereas if you just stayed airside for your connection you would not have to cross the border. If you do want to go landside on arriving at T3 you either clear the border there and get the tube or HEX over to T5 or get the airside transfer bus (follow flight connections signs) and cross the border there.

Steve_ZA Apr 25, 16 1:38 pm


Originally Posted by Florp (Post 26533228)
A) Will a business-class ticket get me in? According to this page, no, but I could swear I've seen posts that say otherwise.
B) Is it worth the hassle/risk of going land-side to use the lounge, then having to clear security again to come back in for my T5 connecting flight

A) Yes an AA or BA long haul arival boarding pass will get you in. Club World is the name of BA's long haul business class product.
B) The main benefits of the Arivals Lounge is a better breakfast and more showers available. You can access the airside Galleries Club lounges in T5 by following the purple flight connections signs instead of going landside. These lounges also have showers (although not as many so you might have a wait) and food/drink availble. If you fancy an alcoholic drink then these are only available in the airside lounges.

Florp Apr 25, 16 2:24 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info!

One more question: My long-haul flight leg is on AA, not BA; will that get me access to ALL the BA lounges (including the galleries), or just the Arrivals lounge since AA's is offline?

muishkin Apr 25, 16 2:58 pm


Originally Posted by Florp (Post 26533664)
Excellent, thanks for the info!

One more question: My long-haul flight leg is on AA, not BA; will that get me access to ALL the BA lounges (including the galleries), or just the Arrivals lounge since AA's is offline?

Yes you can access the Galleries Club lounges (there are 3 of them in T5). And if you are also OW Emerald, you'll be able to access the Galleries First lounge (only one near T5A South).

You won't be able to access the CCR.

muishkin Apr 25, 16 3:10 pm


Originally Posted by Cheynewalk (Post 26523767)
Yes, that's right.

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I think the advantage of reprinting on AA stock (though it's not necessary) may be that the AA BP will say "DOCS OK" and perhaps you can then skip the docs "interrogation" just before the gate, which can be a hassle/bottleneck.

I don't think it matters very much where you get interrogated. I actually prefer being interrogated at the gate since it maximizes my time in the lounge. The line at the AA connection room can be long. If I have my boarding pass already issued by BA, I just go straight to security and then to the Galleries First.

Microwave May 5, 16 6:03 am

A recent post asking about an LY to AA connection at LHR was merged here in error. I've split it back out and moved that thread to the UK and Ireland forum for discussion. You can find it here.

~Moderator

Mowcheeba May 23, 16 2:49 pm

Out of U.S into the E.U
 
A quick question, brother in law is flying out from Philadelphia
with final destination Berlin. Does he need to go through customs at Heathrow or luggage will be cleared all the way to Berlin?

SeeBuyFly May 23, 16 2:54 pm

AA does not fly to Berlin. It is not clear if your question has anything to do with AA. However, luggage will be sent to Berlin if both flights are on the same ticket. there will be security at Heathrow but no immigration or Customs.

Geauxtigers May 23, 16 3:00 pm

My guess is PHL-LHR on AA or BA then LHR-TXL on BA correct? He will not have to go through customs at Heathrow, just follow the transfer signs to T5 (if he comes into T3 on AA) and go through security like we do in the US. Also his bag will be transferred to his British Airways flight, no need to worry about luggage

Mowcheeba May 23, 16 3:35 pm


Originally Posted by Geauxtigers (Post 26670310)
My guess is PHL-LHR on AA or BA then LHR-TXL on BA correct? He will not have to go through customs at Heathrow, just follow the transfer signs to T5 (if he comes into T3 on AA) and go through security like we do in the US. Also his bag will be transferred to his British Airways flight, no need to worry about luggage

Thank you! AA to LHR and BA to TXML. I didn't have time to specify and I haven't flown over LHR in a long time since I try to avoid that airport so really appreciate the help.

aktchi May 23, 16 3:45 pm

No immigration or customs required. Ask him to follow "Flight Connections".

He'll have to undergo security again---so don't buy any duty free liquor or perfume in PHL!

LHR has the annoying habit of not announcing the departure gate till about 1 hr before the flight, so keep an eye on the boards. Perhaps the BA regulars here or BA customer service desks at LHR can point to the terminal most likely to be used. (He'll arrive in T3. BA have flights from T3 as well as T5.)

Ldnn1 May 23, 16 4:10 pm


Perhaps the BA regulars here or BA customer service desks at LHR can point to the terminal most likely to be used. (He'll arrive in T3. BA have flights from T3 as well as T5.)
It's not a question of the terminal 'most likely' to be used; the scheduled terminal is absolutely fixed (any long term terminal changes are announced many months in advance). BA flights to TXL go from T5.

KARFA May 23, 16 4:11 pm

TXL is definitely T5. Beyond that it is probably more likely to be T5A or T5B, less likely T5C. However all three buildings are possible.

jeremykjtan May 24, 16 3:37 am

Hi all,

The partner and I have got a flight at the end of the year which will be landing at T3 and then we will be connecting the following day to a BA flight out of T5 at LHR.

We're moving overseas so expect to be carrying a significant amount of baggage (possibly in the vicinity of 5-6 bags, + hand luggage) and am looking for ideas/the most effective way of transporting ourselves (and said baggage) over to T5. Obviously there is the bus between terminals but with that much baggage the worry is that things could be pretty stressful as it is, so wondering if someone here has any ideas? Unfortunately I would say with the connection time onto our next flight being approx. 19-20 hours I doubt they would transfer the bags through onto the next flight?

Thanks in advance!

KARFA May 24, 16 5:11 am


Originally Posted by jeremykjtan (Post 26672737)
Hi all,

The partner and I have got a flight at the end of the year which will be landing at T3 and then we will be connecting the following day to a BA flight out of T5 at LHR.

We're moving overseas so expect to be carrying a significant amount of baggage (possibly in the vicinity of 5-6 bags, + hand luggage) and am looking for ideas/the most effective way of transporting ourselves (and said baggage) over to T5. Obviously there is the bus between terminals but with that much baggage the worry is that things could be pretty stressful as it is, so wondering if someone here has any ideas? Unfortunately I would say with the connection time onto our next flight being approx. 19-20 hours I doubt they would transfer the bags through onto the next flight?

Thanks in advance!

Are you arriving on AA/BA to T3? They should transfer the bags. There is a large baggage store under T5 precisely for overnight baggage storage for overnight connections.

Usually if you are doing an overnight connection at T5 you can choose to either collect your bags and recheck next day, or not collect your bags and just let then remain in T5. I don't see why this wouldn't also work with a T3 arrival and T5 departure - so on arrival at T3 you could exit landside with carry on bags only, go to your hotel, and then turn up at T5 next day, whilst your bags remain in the system and are stored overnight at T5. Also if you want some of your bags overnight you should be able to collect the ones you need whilst checking through others.

aktchi May 24, 16 6:01 am

I have done overnight AA/BA transfers at LHR---the luggage transfers automatically without any problem if tagged properly at the origin.

Major hubs are used to long connection times (up to 24 hours is even called a connection rather than stop), so this should not be a problem.

An unrelated suggestion: If you'd have baggage exceeding your free allowance, why not consider shipping some of your stuff?

wrp96 May 24, 16 6:46 am

AA typically won't check through on connections of over 12 hours. I would make your plans based on having to collect all your bags at LHR.

Microwave May 25, 16 1:54 am


Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 26670542)
No immigration or customs required. Ask him to follow "Flight Connections".

He'll have to undergo security again---so don't buy any duty free liquor or perfume in PHL!

Properly sealed duty free liquids with a receipt can pass through security at LHR. This is documented on the Heathrow website.

jeremykjtan May 25, 16 5:47 am

Thanks for your replies KARFA, aktchi and wrp96. We'll actually be flying JL into T3 at LHR and out of T5 the following day on BA, but we're on a AA ticket.

It sounds like the best option will be to push (ask very nicely) for the bags to be tagged all the way through to our final destination when we first check in the bags for the journey - The overall journey is quite long as we are departing from New Zealand. Hopefully they'll be accomodating and make sure it gets transferred all the way through which will make things a lot easier on landing at LHR, and then we can just ensure we pack the essential overnight gear in our smaller carry on bags.

If worst comes to worst and the bags do get offloaded, plan B might just have to be hiring a small minivan/taxi to shift us (and our bags) between T3 and T5 and store them at the hotel overnight.

We're considering sending over some of our stuff earlier also!

Thanks all for your help, with luck hopefully all goes smoothly.

MSP_Monopoly Sep 16, 16 7:12 am

LHR connection and baggage question
 
I will be flying on AA from ORD-DFW-LHR. Then on a separate ticket I purchased from BA I will be connecting in LHR to go on to Brussels.

My questions are:

1. AA will no longer tag my bags all the way through to Brussels right? Since it's two separate tickets?

2. If they won't send the bags through does that mean in LHR I have to exit through immigration and customs and claim my bag. Then go back to the main departures hall and check my bag in with BA then go back through security to head towards my BA flight?

3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.

beerup Sep 16, 16 7:52 am


Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly (Post 27220100)
I will be flying on AA from ORD-DFW-LHR. Then on a separate ticket I purchased from BA I will be connecting in LHR to go on to Brussels.

My questions are:

1. AA will no longer tag my bags all the way through to Brussels right? Since it's two separate tickets?

2. If they won't send the bags through does that mean in LHR I have to exit through immigration and customs and claim my bag. Then go back to the main departures hall and check my bag in with BA then go back through security to head towards my BA flight?

3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.

1. They do not have to, but it's worth asking. Some agents may still do it.

2. Yes. BA flights to BRU are out of T5 and so you will need to do a T3 to T5 transfer anyway. It's quite easy landside on the Heathrow Express (free).

3. The most variable element will be the timing at immigration. If the regular line is long, tell them you have a tight connection and try to get through the Fasttrack line. If your flights were on the same PNR, there would be someone to meet you at the flight with your new boarding pass in an orange express sleeve. However, since they won't know you're connecting (most likely even if you ask them to add notation to your PNRs) then you probably won't get that. At least, if you have a long wait at immigration, your bag should be waiting for you. I would estimate that the transfer could easily take 90 min without unusually long lines at immigration.

JDiver Sep 16, 16 9:09 am


Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly (Post 27220100)
I will be flying on AA from ORD-DFW-LHR. Then on a separate ticket I purchased from BA I will be connecting in LHR to go on to Brussels.

My questions are:

1. AA will no longer tag my bags all the way through to Brussels right? Since it's two separate tickets?

This is correct, though a ticket agent might still check bags through. Try hard, because otherwise you'll quite possibly be challenged to make your ongoing flight from Terminal 2.

2. If they won't send the bags through does that mean in LHR I have to exit through immigration and customs and claim my bag. Then go back to the main departures hall and check my bag in with BA then go back through security to head towards my BA flight?

In that case, you will have to process as if arriving in the UK, collect your baggage, go downstairs, walk via the Central Station walkway (Central serves both T-3 and T-2) or use other land transport to Terminal 2, check in and process security as if you were an originating passenger. See the Wikipost for details. (As you are not appearing as a connecting passenger, your ticket likely includes UK APD, as well.)

3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.

That will by necessity make a very tight connection.

beerup Sep 16, 16 9:36 am


Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 27220649)
Try hard, because otherwise you'll quite possibly be challenged to make your ongoing flight from Terminal 2.

In that case, you will have to process as if arriving in the UK, collect your baggage, go downstairs, walk via the Central Station walkway (Central serves both T-3 and T-2) or use other land transport to Terminal 2

Unless I'm missing something, BA LHR-BRU flights depart from T5 not T2.

Ldnn1 Sep 16, 16 10:02 am


Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly (Post 27220100)
3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.

That will be a very tight connection indeed. BA bag drop closes 45 mins before departure, which means you're leaving yourself 1h15 (or 'just over') to get from airside T3, through immigration, pick up baggage, get on HEX or Tube, and make it to T5 bag drop. You'll need everything to run very smoothly indeed.

However, when did you buy your ticket to BRU? If it was in the past few months, and assuming it's not HBO, then it should be a 'Plus' fare which allows free on-the-day changes up to 1h before departure. If so, then if things are looking tight you could try and change it to a later flight when you land at LHR, or even before you depart DFW if it's after midnight UK time. That would take some stress out of it.

Alternatively, travel HBO - much easier.


Originally Posted by beerup (Post 27220783)
Unless I'm missing something, BA LHR-BRU flights depart from T5 not T2.

Correct. No BA flights from T2.

And T3-T5 is a lot further than T3-T2.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:02 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.