FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

wrp96 Feb 25, 16 11:20 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG (Post 26242667)
Hi there,

I will be flying AMS-LHR-LAX, all on one ticket, with AMS-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA. My questions are:

1. Will I be allowed to use the BA lounges in T5?

2. If I can use the lounges in T5, do I need go through security again when taking the airside bus to T3?

You won't be able to get airside at T5 without a departure from T5, so no you won't be able to use the lounges in T5.

No matter what, you will have to go through security at T3.

Microwave Feb 25, 16 11:28 am

T5 lounges are nothing to write home about in any event, you'll be well served in T3.

zitsky Feb 25, 16 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ccengct (Post 26242149)
Don't be surprised if BA insists on reprinting the LHR-NCE BP on BA stock, but the AA-issued BP is good enough. Just be careful with the AA-issued BP if a checked bag receipt is on the back of it. I've seen this happen.

Thanks. I tend to put my boarding passes in a jacket pocket. Now I just need my travel agent to get me some decent seats in coach. They are dragging their feet.

ijgordon Feb 25, 16 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26242764)
T5 lounges are nothing to write home about in any event, you'll be well served in T3.

I was at the AC in LHR a few months ago for the first time in years (I would usually go to FL or CX F, but was slumming in J this time).
I thought it was pretty nice, more or less on par with the BA lounges. There was hot food and open bar.

Big_Foot Feb 25, 16 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26153479)
The Sofitel is great- it is an easy walk to T5 in the AM, all connected.

Are you still recommending Sofitel if we arrive at T5 late at night
and connecting to an early morning flight from T3?
Can I get a taxi at Sofitel to take us to T3?

Exec_Plat Feb 25, 16 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big_Foot (Post 26244501)
Are you still recommending Sofitel if we arrive at T5 late at night
and connecting to an early morning flight from T3?
Can I get a taxi at Sofitel to take us to T3?

Ive done both. Alone I take the train; with my son we took the train...but with my SO we took a taxi but really it is pretty straightforward. The concierge at the sofitel will arrange a taxi if you ask. Kindof a waste of money, but its relative, eh? When you take the train, you have that bit of the unknown, where you might arrive just after the train has left, so add X minutes. I dont know the frequency, just memory it is 10-15 or so? Look it up. heathrow Express, or "HEX"- the connection between terminals is free, so ignore any fare stuff.

Arriving T5 you will exit security, while still in the terminal take the elevators up and walk over to the hotel (all covered, it is about 3 very long enclosed walkways that actually wrap around the short term parking garage before you get into the hotel.

There is a grocery store type place (M&S Simply food) in the terminal where you can get some snacks/drinks/whatever if you want before you get to the elevators and into the hotel. When you dont want the production of room service but want a quick late night snack.

stifle Feb 26, 16 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 26221907)
So I have a flight in late September RDU-LHR-NCE. I have a 2 hour and 20 min layover which I'm starting to think might not be enough. I can look into the possibility of being booked on a later connecting flight if that's really necessary.

My question is, if I miss my flight, how do I get on the next one? There is one another 3 hours later if necessary. Can I just go to the gate and ask to be put on the flight? Is there a customer service desk for BA that I could go to? Would it be better to make a phone call from my US phone to UK BA customer service?

Coming back I have a 3 hour layover which seems like enough.

If you miss your flight you won't be able to just go to the gate, partly because you are unlikely to be let through security and partly because gates aren't shown until around 50 minutes before departure. You need to go to the BA customer service desks. You can't do it over the phone as they'll need to give you a new BP.

MarkedMan Feb 27, 16 1:13 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 26249397)
If you miss your flight you won't be able to just go to the gate, partly because you are unlikely to be let through security and partly because gates aren't shown until around 50 minutes before departure. You need to go to the BA customer service desks. You can't do it over the phone as they'll need to give you a new BP.

As Microwave pointed out they are likely to give boarding passes out in RDU. 2:20 is ample to get from T3 to T5 and all that jazz, albeit you will be in T5 at peak connecting time. On top of this, AA are extremely effective at LHR at re-booking passengers who are likely to miss conformance in T5, every time my flight has been even a bit late (as my LAX-LHR was early this week, by 30 minutes) there are AA agents calling out and holding boards with specific flights with potential conformance issues in T5, they usually have new BPs for re-booked flights at the ready.

Should you be in danger of not making your connection, which IMO is only an issue if you deplane with less than 60 minutes on the clock to make it to T5, and AA has not flagged you either because you have flights on separate reservations or something went wrong, walk to connections and get into the AA facility before T3 connections security or the bus terminal for T5 and have them sort it out there. NOTE that AA will protect you even if the BA flight is on a different reservation, so just go into the AA facility and they will work with you. No need to book a 5:20 connection in other words unless you really want to spend four hours in a BA lounge in T5 or something.

FWIW I have even had cases where I was on separate PNRs, my flight went south from the US and I was able to get agents to send notice to LHR that I had a connection. Again, AA was ready on deplaning with a new boarding pass for my connecting flight. They do a pretty good job of handling misconnects at LHR, as well they should since it's AA's OW gateway into Europe.

Geauxtigers Feb 28, 16 2:18 pm

Microwave Feb 29, 16 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers (Post 26257266)
Flight from CPH left early, but had to circle around LHR for ~10 min, still got in 10 minutes early to T5B. Realized that I did not have to go to the main terminal for the bus connection to T3 so after walking 5 minutes looking for flights connections I got to the bus area. Another 8 minutes goes by and the bus finally shows up, but by this point there were probably 10~15 people waiting and the bus was packed. I was one of the last sardines to get on the bus or else it probably would've been another 10 minutes (they made several people wait for the next bus).

The buses from T5B are a life saver. You may think the stop was busy and the bus was full, but I can assure you the situation was much worse at T5A at that time. Generally they lay on a better frequency than 10 minutes if it's busy, but clearly not always. Glad it worked out!

jinglish Mar 6, 16 10:43 am

So ninety minutes is the MCT for T5 to T3, and it's actually doable if the flight's reasonably on time? I have a trip home on AA out of LHR, but I'm thinking of finishing my trip up in LBA instead and booking a one-way on BA that arrives exactly ninety minutes before my CLT departure.

Calchas Mar 6, 16 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 26292779)
So ninety minutes is the MCT for T5 to T3, and it's actually doable if the flight's reasonably on time? I have a trip home on AA out of LHR, but I'm thinking of finishing my trip up in LBA instead and booking a one-way on BA that arrives exactly ninety minutes before my CLT departure.

90 minutes is normally bags of time.

For future reference the fare tariff from North America to LON is the same as to LBA [and other UK domestic destinations served by BA mainline], so you could have added the sector at zero cost to your original booking.

For LBA-LHR-CLT it's a bit unfortunate as the terminal change means you have to go through security again at LHR. But there's no reason you'll experience any problems.

N830MH Mar 6, 16 4:48 pm

I went through LHR last month and I took terminal bus from T5 TO T3, and then I passed through at security again, and went onto the concourse. I wait for my flight is leave and they didn't telling me for which the gate number. They never told me about gate number is it. The gate number is 27, and purple coats told the gate agent and she gave me a gate number. I have wait for the gate is open. I didn't needs any helps and it was so much easy for me. I knows how to catch the next flight out.

millionmiler Mar 6, 16 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 26292779)

I always give myself more time than that but, yes, if your flight arrives on time you will be fine.

ijgordon Mar 7, 16 9:41 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler (Post 26294151)
I always give myself more time than that but, yes, if your flight arrives on time you will be fine.

To the central departure lounge (aka shopping mall) of T3, it's probably 20 minutes of actual travel time (walking and bus ride). Then add some time for bus waiting and security screening - under normal circumstances shouldn't be more than another 10-20 minutes, but either of those could be a wild card. And then add additional walking time to get to the gate, could be 5-15 minutes extra.