FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

teemuflyer Oct 2, 19 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31587934)
Flying into LHR for the first time next month on my way back from Asia. I have a 23-hour stopover during which I plan to visit London. Will I have arrival access to any lounges or are arriving international pax sent straight through customs and immigration? Thanks.

You will not have access to any of the departures lounges, as yes, you will need to clear immigration and customs for your layover, but if you are flying BA you'll have access to BA Arrivals Lounge if flying J or above or OWE.

If flying CX or QF, here are the rules for access to the AA Arrivals Lounge:

**Flights must be marketed and operated by British Airways or marketed by American and operated by British Airways.

***Flights must be marketed and operated by Qantas, or marketed by British Airways and operated by Qantas.

joe_miami Oct 2, 19 7:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll be AA Plat Pro arriving on a Finnair flight from HEL in J and then departing on a BA flight in Club World to YYZ 23 hours later.

UKtravelbear Oct 2, 19 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31588186)
Thanks for the replies. I'll be AA Plat Pro arriving on a Finnair flight from HEL in J and then departing on a BA flight in Club World to YYZ 23 hours later.

The AY flight is what counts and you should have stated that right from the outset.

You wonít have AA arrival lounge access as you arenít arriving into LHR off a long haul flight operated by BA/AA/CX or QF but off a Short Haul operated by AY

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...als-lounge.jsp

Your next day departure in J on BA will only get departures lounge access on the day you depart to Toronto

There is a land side pay to enter plaza premium lounge that has showers.

DreamTrip Oct 28, 19 10:21 am

Anyone have an update when the Flagship remodel will be completed?

AndyAA Dec 19, 19 8:58 pm

I'll have 2 hours and 35 minutes to hop from T3 to T5. What are the chances of being able to enjoy a quick shower in a BA T5 lounge? I'll be traveling in J over there.

brp Dec 19, 19 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by AndyAA (Post 31858984)
I'll have 2 hours and 35 minutes to hop from T3 to T5. What are the chances of being able to enjoy a quick shower in a BA T5 lounge? I'll be traveling in J over there.

Easy. Shower plus snacks with no problem.

Cheers.

Blumie Dec 19, 19 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by AndyAA (Post 31858984)

Other than a late arrival the only issue could be a long wait for a shower, but you have enough cushion that you should be fine.

melrowgo Dec 25, 19 10:58 am

I will be in a somewhat similar situation near the end of May and want to confirm how this applies to us: arrival AA98 (ORD-LHR in J) into T3 at 13:15 , then (likely) departing BA 606 (LHR-PSA) from T3 at 15:45; no checked bags. My questions:
  1. do we have to clear customs & immigration in LHR or just stay airside as a transit?
  2. will we have enough time to hit up one of the OW lounges for a shower and a snack or should we book a later flight to PSA?
  3. which T3 lounge would you recommend?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31588020)
You will not have access to any of the departures lounges, as yes, you will need to clear immigration and customs for your layover, but if you are flying BA you'll have access to BA Arrivals Lounge if flying J or above or OWE.

If flying CX or QF, here are the rules for access to the AA Arrivals Lounge:

**Flights must be marketed and operated by British Airways or marketed by American and operated by British Airways.

***Flights must be marketed and operated by Qantas, or marketed by British Airways and operated by Qantas.

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31587934)
Flying into LHR for the first time next month on my way back from Asia. I have a 23-hour stopover during which I plan to visit London. Will I have arrival access to any lounges or are arriving international pax sent straight through customs and immigration? Thanks.

JDiver Dec 25, 19 11:17 am

Originally Posted by melrowgo (Post 31875402)
I will be in a somewhat similar situation near the end of May and want to confirm how this applies to us: arrival AA98 (ORD-LHR in J) into T3 at 13:15 , then (likely) departing BA 606 (LHR-PSA) from T3 at 15:45; no checked bags. My questions:
  1. do we have to clear customs & immigration in LHR or just stay airside as a transit?
  2. will we have enough time to hit up one of the OW lounges for a shower and a snack or should we book a later flight to PSA?
  3. which T3 lounge would you recommend?
Thanks.

Please read the Wikipost. There’s information, there’s a link to an interactive page that walks you through your process following the signs and floor lines for the Flight Connections path, security, etc. With a mere 1.5 hours to connect, you’ll have to be well versed and prepared to make your next flight, particularly if your flight is delayed in a holding pattern for any time, typical at busy Heathrow.

The guide to LHR T-3 and T-5 lounges: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...d-kingdom.html

Also: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aa-fliers.html

melrowgo Dec 25, 19 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31875444)
Please read the Wikipost. There’s information, there’s a link to an interactive page that walks you through your process following the signs and floor lines for the Flight Connections path, security, etc. With a mere 1.5 hours to connect, you’ll have to be well versed and prepared to make your next flight, particularly if your flight is delayed in a holding pattern for any time, typical at busy Heathrow.

The guide to LHR T-3 and T-5 lounges: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...d-kingdom.html

Also: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aa-fliers.html

Thank you for the very valid reminder to thoroughly read the Wiki before posting, JDiver

My connection time would be 2.5 hours, which I hope would be more manageable.

bse118 Dec 25, 19 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo (Post 31875402)
arrival AA98 (ORD-LHR in J) into T3 at 13:15 , then (likely) departing BA 606 (LHR-PSA) from T3 at 15:45

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31875444)
With a mere 1.5 hours to connect, youíll have to be well versed and prepared to make your next flight, particularly if your flight is delayed in a holding pattern for any time, typical at busy Heathrow.

Huh? OP has 2.5 hours at LHR which is more than enough time to make a T3-T3 connection (assuming single ticket). Even 1.5 hours is plenty of time for a T3-T3 connection. LHR flight times usually assume a certain amount of hold time in the block times.

OP - you'll have plenty of time for a lounge visit if AA98 is on time or close it. Again, assuming a single ticket, you'll go through security during the connection at LHR but not immigration or customs.

JDiver Dec 25, 19 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo (Post 31875589)
Thank you for the very valid reminder to thoroughly read the Wiki before posting, JDiver

My connection time would be 2.5 hours, which I hope would be more manageable.

Ah, misread as 2.5 hours.

Youíve time for a shower at the Admirals Club complex and a visit to the Cathay or Qantas lounge, preferred by most.

melrowgo Dec 25, 19 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31875601)
Huh? OP has 2.5 hours at LHR which is more than enough time to make a T3-T3 connection (assuming single ticket). Even 1.5 hours is plenty of time for a T3-T3 connection. LHR flight times usually assume a certain amount of hold time in the block times.

OP - you'll have plenty of time for a lounge visit if AA98 is on time or close it. Again, assuming a single ticket, you'll go through security during the connection at LHR but not immigration or customs.

Actually, it is not a single ticket. The ORD-LHR flight is booked but the LHR-PSA flight is not (looking at BA 606). Given that, how does that change the dynamics re: security, immigration, etc.?

SeattleDavid Dec 26, 19 12:02 am

Originally Posted by melrowgo (Post 31876519)
Actually, it is not a single ticket. The ORD-LHR flight is booked but the LHR-PSA flight is not (looking at BA 606). Given that, how does that change the dynamics re: security, immigration, etc.?

JFK-LHR-PSA is the most disastrous journey I have ever had ... JFK-LGR was 5 hours late and LHR-PSA was only once a day and I missed it. AA re-booked me 24 Horus later and BA rebooked on Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Florence. My bags didn't reach me for 4 days and my return flights were cancelled because the AA system showed me as a no show for the LHR-PSA flight! Fortunately I noticed and my return flights and upgrades were reinstated 4 days before travel.

Anyway, one of the golden rules of separate ticket travel is always to look at your options if things go wrong. LHR-PSA is now twice a day at different times each day (roughly 8am and 2pm) and the flight you mention is the afternoon flight. So, if you miss it it will be the early morning next day as the first available option and a hotel to be bought and paid for at the last minute. Personally I wouldn't risk this on separate tickets. If you feel you have to then I would book LHR-PSA for the next day and book a cheap hotel night well in advance (ideally at the Sofitel).

UKtravelbear Dec 26, 19 5:08 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 31876715)
If you feel you have to then I would book LHR-PSA for the next day and book a cheap hotel night well in advance (ideally at the Sofitel).

Pisa departs from T3.

There are several newer hotels at and closer to T3 (and T4) including the Hilton Garden Inn actually at T3 rather than going to the Sofitel.