FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

gateH15 Sep 19, 19 8:56 am

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 31541775)
In my experience, LHR security is the most aggressive in the world at sending bags for secondary screening for anything that looks at all unusual to the X-ray person. My advice is to look at everything you bring to see if anything might possibly seem dense or electronic or potentially sharp or liquidy. For example, packages of wipes (surface, baby, hand, butt), electric razors, electric toothbrushes, charging adapters, battery packs, empty bottles, nail clippers. Put everything like that in a plastic zippy bag, as large as needed (e.g., gallon or 2.5 gallon), and when you get to the security belt, take that bag out along with your liquids bag and all electronic devices larger than a cell phone (laptops, tablets, readers, video players), and put all this in bins. If the belt person asks you what the large bag is, explain that it does not contain liquids but has everything that might look unusual on an X-ray.

In my experience, having anything unusual or electronicy or liquidy or potentially sharp in your bag can cause that bag to get marked for secondary, which is usually a time-consuming and unpleasant process at LHR. There is often a lengthly wait for secondary inspection agents to get to your bag due to the large number of bags being so selected, and depending on the agents and what the issue is, your bag may be slowly and meticulously unpacked, with an agent pawing each and every item (one even stuck her (gloved) fingers into each a boxed piece of chocolate handed out on my flight just before landing), often sending many of them for additional X-ray checks as well. In my own experience, it is well avoided.

Of course, YMMV, and I have had bags zip through LHR security unmolested even with liquids left inside, but far too many times I had bags sent to secondary because of something minor that the X-ray person didn't like the looks of.

You described it pretty well! It is absolutely worst airport when it comes to security theater.
I always travel with the same liquids bag and Iíve noticed I never get selected in T3, but most of time I get selected in T5

KARFA Sep 19, 19 9:13 am

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31541898)
You described it pretty well! It is absolutely worst airport when it comes to security theater.
I always travel with the same liquids bag and Iíve noticed I never get selected in T3, but most of time I get selected in T5

Any reason given? Sounds very odd it is happening so often to you. I am through T5 very frequently and rarely get bags pulled for secondary.

teemuflyer Sep 19, 19 9:17 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31521197)
and you will still have time to stop at one of the lounges...
and remember to take out your liquids..

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31521284)
ALL liquids. And make sure to place it in a clear plastic bag (TSA approved clear bag from Target will work).

In my experience, LHR security is the most aggressive in the world at sending bags for secondary screening for anything that looks at all unusual to the X-ray person. My advice is to look at everything you bring to see if anything might possibly seem dense or electronic or potentially sharp or liquidy. For example, packages of wipes (surface, baby, hand, butt), electric razors, electric toothbrushes, charging adapters, battery packs, empty bottles, nail clippers. Put everything like that in a plastic zippy bag, as large as needed (e.g., gallon or 2.5 gallon), and when you get to the security belt, take that bag out along with your liquids bag and all electronic devices larger than a cell phone (laptops, tablets, readers, video players), and put all this in bins. If the belt person asks you what the large bag is, explain that it does not contain liquids but has everything that might look unusual on an X-ray.

In my experience, having anything unusual or electronicy or liquidy or potentially sharp in your bag can cause that bag to get marked for secondary, which is usually a time-consuming and unpleasant process at LHR. There is often a lengthly wait for secondary inspection agents to get to your bag due to the large number of bags being so selected, and depending on the agents and what the issue is, your bag may be slowly and meticulously unpacked, with an agent pawing each and every item (one even stuck her (gloved) fingers into each a boxed piece of chocolate handed out on my flight just before landing), often sending many of them for additional X-ray checks as well. In my own experience, it is well avoided.

Of course, YMMV, and I have had bags zip through LHR security unmolested even with liquids left inside, but far too many times I had bags sent to secondary because of something minor that the X-ray person didn't like the looks of.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31541896)
Yes I would say the opposite tbh in my experience. I will take my liquids out along with laptop and ipad, but other than that everything remains in the bags and 90% of the time there is no problem. To be honest the remaining 10% of the time it is just a random swab of electronics or liquids anyway. I can't remember the last time I had a bag pulled for a problem inside.

What remains in my bags are laptop cable, wash bag full of cables/adaptors/spare batteries, small power pack (bit bigger than a lighter), small camera (canon M100), and dslr when I have that too. These don't seem to cause an issue.

We can only hope that by 2022 this all will be just a bad memory- from: https://www.theguardian.com/business...-says-heathrow

"Airport security queues could soon be less stressful for Heathrow passengers who should be able to keep liquids and laptops in their hand baggage when new 3D scanners are introduced.

Following successful trials of the new equipment, the UKís biggest airport plans to spend £50m on new scanners across its four terminals by 2022."

KARFA Sep 19, 19 9:20 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31541976)
We can only hope that by 2022 this all will be just a bad memory- from: https://www.theguardian.com/business...-says-heathrow

"Airport security queues could soon be less stressful for Heathrow passengers who should be able to keep liquids and laptops in their hand baggage when new 3D scanners are introduced.

Following successful trials of the new equipment, the UK’s biggest airport plans to spend £50m on new scanners across its four terminals by 2022."

They have had one on trial in T2 for a while. Will be great when they are rolled out across all terminals. Some may be familiar with the machines from AMS (and some US airports) where they are already being used - absolutely great since everything can just stay in your bags :)

gateH15 Sep 19, 19 9:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31541964)
Any reason given? Sounds very odd it is happening so often to you. I am through T5 very frequently and rarely get bags pulled for secondary.

Well what I said only applies when i connect. My liquids bag is staffed to the max since I travel with carry on only. Sometimes my back pack gets searched also because I have a lot of cables there as well for all my devices. If I originate in LHR and go thru fast track (not connecting) I never gotten searched. Iím not sure why this is happening but I tried removing everything etc. seems to be bad luck in T5 flight connections security. Very annoying but nothing i can do

rossmacd Sep 19, 19 2:27 pm

In my experience, LHR security is the most aggressive in the world at sending bags for secondary screening for anything that looks at all unusual to the X-ray person.

You've quite clearly never been to Manchester (MAN).

bunkunu Sep 20, 19 10:13 am

Did anyone else notice that they started using the exact same (and same size) gray bins and the whole bin assembly line contraption system (with the dreaded wait-with-bated-breath-during-that-forever-pause-as-you-stare-at-the-bin-before-itís-flung-over-to-the-secondary-inspection-lane) in US security lines now eg LAX? I swear it must be the same contractor who sets it up

iwillflytheworld Sep 28, 19 6:26 am

Checking in the previous night at LHR?

Flying out of LHR on AA tomorrow morning. Will I be allowed to check in for my flight (and check luggage) this evening, assuming the AA counters are open? Don't think it makes a difference but just in case I'm OW emerald flying business.

TIA ^

UKtravelbear Sep 28, 19 7:06 am

No. It’s not an option at LHR.

airport decision rather than individual airlines deciding to offer it or not

madmexusa Sep 28, 19 7:38 am

Absolute no! On AA....

iwillflytheworld Sep 28, 19 8:23 am

Thanks for the quick replies! It'll be an early start tomorrow then.

fotographer Sep 28, 19 9:59 am

Get to the airport as soon as the counters open
and enjoy the lounge hopping in T 3
board the plane happy and sleep

SeattleDavid Sep 28, 19 10:07 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31573243)
Get to the airport as soon as the counters open
and enjoy the lounge hopping in T 3
board the plane happy and sleep

Check the opening hours on the lounges for Sundays - CX doesn't open until 7.30am on Sundays and QF opens at 8am.

There's no point getting there early to enjoy lounge hopping if half of them are closed.

joe_miami Oct 2, 19 5:48 pm

Flying into LHR for the first time next month on my way back from Asia. I have a 23-hour stopover during which I plan to visit London. Will I have arrival access to any lounges or are arriving international pax sent straight through customs and immigration? Thanks.

gateH15 Oct 2, 19 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31587934)
Flying into LHR for the first time next month on my way back from Asia. I have a 23-hour stopover during which I plan to visit London. Will I have arrival access to any lounges or are arriving international pax sent straight through customs and immigration? Thanks.

Are you in F or J? Do you have status? BA has arrivals lounge in T5 after customs. AA has lounge arrivals lounge in T3.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...19a971b469.png