FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

Geauxtigers Feb 18, 2016 3:43 pm

zitsky Feb 21, 2016 3:18 pm

So I have a flight in late September RDU-LHR-NCE. I have a 2 hour and 20 min layover which I'm starting to think might not be enough. I can look into the possibility of being booked on a later connecting flight if that's really necessary.

My question is, if I miss my flight, how do I get on the next one? There is one another 3 hours later if necessary. Can I just go to the gate and ask to be put on the flight? Is there a customer service desk for BA that I could go to? Would it be better to make a phone call from my US phone to UK BA customer service?

Coming back I have a 3 hour layover which seems like enough.

wrp96 Feb 21, 2016 3:30 pm

2 hrs and 20 minutes is a good connection time at LHR, MCT is 90 minutes so you are well above.

If for some reason you did miss it, it would depend on the reason. If your flight from RDU is extremely late then you likely would be met at the top of the jetway by someone from AA who has already arranged your rebooking or is there to help you get rebooked. If for some reason you messed up getting over to T5 (you won't) and didn't make it to the beginning of security by T-35 then you would be stopped going through security and directed to a BA customer service desk to rebook. If somehow you made it to the gate at T5 and still missed the flight, again you will be redirected to a BA customer service desk to rebook.

zitsky Feb 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 26221963)
2 hrs and 20 minutes is a good connection time at LHR, MCT is 90 minutes so you are well above.

If for some reason you did miss it, it would depend on the reason. If your flight from RDU is extremely late then you likely would be met at the top of the jetway by someone from AA who has already arranged your rebooking or is there to help you get rebooked. If for some reason you messed up getting over to T5 (you won't) and didn't make it to the beginning of security by T-35 then you would be stopped going through security and directed to a BA customer service desk to rebook. If somehow you made it to the gate at T5 and still missed the flight, again you will be redirected to a BA customer service desk to rebook.

Thanks. I am not used to that level of customer service for something like a missed connection. I normally fly United, sometimes in front, often in back. I don't remember United ever doing that for me, someone with no current status.

wrp96 Feb 21, 2016 3:48 pm

It's not guaranteed to happen but this express connect service is pretty standard at least for AA international flights and also BA I believe. If for some reason your flight from RDU is that late (unlikely), then look for people holding orange envelopes or signs at the top of the jetbridges. Most likely you won't need it and you won't even see it.

Djokison Feb 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by moogsonskates (Post 26189384)
I arrive at 8:40AM at T3 in London. I have a 1:05PM from T5 to Paris. So, 4 h 25 minutes to go from one to the other. Unless forced, I will not have any checked luggage (all within measurements, and have premium economy w/ early boarding so will have overheard space I hope).

Your questions have been answered (more than once), so I won't go repeating that. There is however one thing I'd like to mention/point out, AA does not have Premium Economy. I presume you're in MCE, it's no more than Economy with a bit of extra legroom (and width on certain planes.)

brp Feb 22, 2016 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26203595)
FWIW, I'm told that the security staff are gone from the lounges and won't be coming back in the foreseeable future, so people who are transferring at LHR are well advised to answer the questions at the transfer area if it's not too busy, else to arrive at the gate with enough time to answer them before boarding is called.

Yup. As I mentioned above as recently as a week ago. The impression I got is that it is not coming back. OTOH, there was no one at the gate when we went and the questions breezed by. And we boarded within 5 minutes of that.

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26203595)
When I transferred at LHR in December (a rarity for me), the desks after security were bereft of AA personnel and signage, while the new area was as you mentioned quite busy. I wonder why AA have both places populated, and whether it's only some of the time? In fact... I wonder why they moved at all, since there was nothing inherently wrong with the old setup? Oy.

This time there were AA staff, and a good-sized line, at the desks after security. We opted for the AC, which turned into the gate :)

As to why they moved, the whole security arrangement at T3 has changed. The area has moved (one comes out very near the lounges now rather than having to trek through the shops. It is quite a bit larger than the old space, and looks more like T5. Modernized and updated.

Cheers.

Even if the poster did have checked bags, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever not to check them through to Paris. It's easy for AA to do, and well within policy to expect it to be done, so checking bags through to London only would add a huge helping of wasted time onto this transfer.

Exec_Plat Feb 22, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26189430)
This is ample time. Like more than ample. Unless your inbound is heavily delayed, ...

I will opine that you should always try to check in prior to arrival at LHR/T5.

I had a wide open 3.5 hr connection at LHR, then took a 3 hrs delay out of LAX.

But I forgot to check in for my separate onwards BA flight to Berlin.

On arrival at t5 I had missed their checkin cut off by a minute. (Excellent BA employees doing their jobs....but I digress.) They put me on the later flight and I *still* got to the not-yet-departed earlier flight to TXL- no dice.

Had I simply checked in at LAX, while in the air, or even on the bus from T3 to T5 I would have been fine...

Microwave Feb 22, 2016 11:34 am

Check-in must occur no sooner than 45 minutes before departure at LHR, though conformance is also in place which means you cannot enter security with less than 35 minutes of time to make your flight.

My point above was that any issue/delay could impinge on connection time; definitely the more one can do before getting to the airport the better, though I stand by my post that 4:25 is tons of time at LHR, and planning for a multi-hour delay is just wasting time. BA will get you there eventually, and if there's a delay it's best to be flexible and roll with the bumps.

Calchas Feb 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26226426)
Check-in must occur no sooner than 45 minutes before departure at LHR, though conformance is also in place which means you cannot enter security with less than 35 minutes of time to make your flight.

This is relaxed on connections. My record is t-21 minutes. By the time I got on board I was a sweaty mess though (and not in a good way)

zitsky Feb 22, 2016 1:37 pm

I have an itinerary RDU-LHR-NCE. Can I check in for both flights online or at RDU? Must I check in for the second segment at LHR?

Microwave Feb 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 26227090)
This is relaxed on connections. My record is t-21 minutes. By the time I got on board I was a sweaty mess though (and not in a good way)

Poster I was replying to had purchased separate tickets, thus the check in and conformance requirements would be as stated. :)

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 26227209)
I have an itinerary RDU-LHR-NCE. Can I check in for both flights online or at RDU? Must I check in for the second segment at LHR?

If you bought it all as one itinerary, AA will have no problem checking you in and issuing both boarding passes in RDU. You'll be fine.

richarddd Feb 24, 2016 6:35 am

AA rep somewhere in flight connections asked where we were going, but no security questions. I suppose they'll ask at the gate.

Fast track security was fast; BA lounge is rather crowded. T5-T3.

EDIT: questioned at the gate. Had a pleasant conversation about vacation spots with the security guy. No wait for security or to board. We started walking to the gate when "boarding" was posted on the board.

ccengct Feb 25, 2016 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26227365)
If you bought it all as one itinerary, AA will have no problem checking you in and issuing both boarding passes in RDU. You'll be fine.

Don't be surprised if BA insists on reprinting the LHR-NCE BP on BA stock, but the AA-issued BP is good enough. Just be careful with the AA-issued BP if a checked bag receipt is on the back of it. I've seen this happen.

LAX/HKG Feb 25, 2016 11:11 am

Hi there,

I will be flying AMS-LHR-LAX, all on one ticket, with AMS-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA. My questions are:

1. Will I be allowed to use the BA lounges in T5?

2. If I can use the lounges in T5, do I need go through security again when taking the airside bus to T3?