FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

gateH15 Apr 10, 19 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30987825)
No general cut-off across all terminals at LHR. Just T5 a formal cut-off which is called Ready to Fly.

I always thought ready to fly is a T5 tho f where you can only go thru security once and of you leave, you have to go to BA desk to tell them
to change your status from Ready to fly so you can pass security again. Thanks for the info

KARFA Apr 10, 19 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30987828)
I always thought ready to fly is a T5 tho f where you can only go thru security once and of you leave, you have to go to BA desk to tell them
to change your status from Ready to fly so you can pass security again. Thanks for the info

Yes that's right. Ready to Fly at T5 is a cutoff for going through security (never more than 35 minutes but sometimes on some connections it is less than 35 minutes at the flight connection centre). Once you have been through you are marked as Ready to Fly so if you land yourself in T5 you can't go back through security again to get back airside unless you speak to a BA agent and get yourself unmarked as Ready to Fly.

anabolism Apr 11, 19 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by hmsflyer (Post 30979956)
This is exactly a 90 minute connection and I am concerned that any delay - even a minor one - may make the connection a problem.

You should be fine unless your inbound flight into LHR is delayed (which does happen). AA and BA monitor inbound flights, and if one is delayed they almost always meet arriving passengers with a board listing names and onward destinations. If they think you can still make your connection, they will hand you an "Express Connections" card, which allows you into the Fast Track security line, but you should have that anyway in J. If they think you might not make your connection, they will have already rebooked you and checked you in, and will hand you your new boarding passes. BA has a number of flights to LAX, so they might put you on one of those, or potentially SAN or SFO with a connection, but that's less likely unless you were connecting in LAX to there anyway.

HofstraJet May 1, 19 8:43 am

Anyone know if the buses are wheelchair accessible or do they provide different transfers for wheelchairs? Usually, being in a wheelchair at LHR helps me get to the front of queues when I ask for the pusher (which I don't need but ask for anyway when time is tight for this very reason), but if I have to wait for a special bus, that could eat up my time savings.

I have a 95 minute T5-T3 coming up CDG-LHR-MIA in F, and the LHR-MIA flight is the last flight of the day and I don't want to miss it (sucks that I won't have much, if any, time for CCR, but that's life - better than an overnight connection through JFK).

All on one AA award ticket (all flights are on BA), so bags should be checked through.

Thanks!

JJeffrey May 1, 19 8:46 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 31056187)
Anyone know if the buses are wheelchair accessible or do they provide different transfers for wheelchairs? Usually, being in a wheelchair at LHR helps me get to the front of queues when I ask for the pusher (which I don't need but ask for anyway when time is tight for this very reason), but if I have to wait for a special bus, that could eat up my time savings.

I have a 95 minute T5-T3 coming up CDG-LHR-MIA in F, and the LHR-MIA flight is the last flight of the day and I don't want to miss it (sucks that I won't have much, if any, time for CCR, but that's life - better than an overnight connection through JFK).

All on one AA award ticket (all flights are on BA), so bags should be checked through.

Thanks!

Not sure on the bus question, but since LHR-MIA on BA departs from T3 you wouldn't be able to use the CCR anyways.

corporate-wage-slave May 1, 19 8:49 am

The bus is wheelchair enabled, with a dropping curb at the middle door. The usual SOP is that wheelchairs are boarded first, often by a side door away from the main queue, and since it's Omniserv that provides both the bus service and assisted traveller assistance it tends to work ok. However 95 minutes is only 5 minutes more than the absolute minimum MCT between T5 and T3.

sam2k2002 May 9, 19 1:24 am

SEPARATE PNRs: 2.5hr BA-AA Connection @ LHR. Enough time?

Hi All- I will be flying IBZ-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA with 2.5hrs connection time. These trips are on separate record locators, and my understanding is that I will have to pick up my checked bags, clear customs at Heathrow, head to the AA counter, and re-check them. Is this correct, and if so, is 2.5hrs enough time to make the international checked bag cut off?

Gig103 May 9, 19 1:44 am

I understand that you're flying within the EU on the first leg but the UK has its own border. It sounds like from the link below that you need to go though UK border control to collect bags and recheck at the counter.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/layovers-and-transiting

You must check bags an hour prior to departure and then get back through security. I would not be confident in this, are you sure you can't fly hand baggage only? Then I think you could stay airside per that link.

LondonElite May 9, 19 1:49 am

This is too tight for my liking. BA will not send your bags on to AA, you'll have to collect them and then change terminals. A delayed inbound would scupper this plan leaving you at the mercy of AA, who may protect you (coming from a OW separate inbound) or who may direct you to the ticket desk with your wallet open.

sam2k2002 May 9, 19 2:03 am

Thanks for the quick replies. So really what is being said here is that it takes well more than 1 hour to collect bags and get through customs? I've been through the long terminal to terminal shuttle rides, but my thought was that would run in parallel to the baggage getting to the conveyor.

tylerdurden4543 May 9, 19 2:10 am

Isn't the concern less about the bags being ready and more about the long immigration lines? That's been my challenge lately at LHR, though I read Americans will be able to use the e-gates starting this summer, which should help.

LondonElite May 9, 19 2:14 am

You will have to clear UK immigration. This will take between five minutes and much much longer, depending on many factors outside your control. You then need to collect bags, which could also be another five or 15 minutes. You then need to change terminals (time consuming, figure about 30 minutes) and go through T3 security again, having dropped off your bags at AA within minimum drop off times. It can be done, of course, but a late inbound will throw a wrench into everything. I'd allow a minimum of four hours.

TomMM May 9, 19 5:41 am

Before I became a Registered Traveler it would take anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours to clear immigration. Of course your experience might vary.

whimsey21 May 9, 19 6:45 am

As everyone has said, immigration is the variable here. Usually by the time i'm through immigration, the wait for my checked bag is no more than 20 minutes. In my experience, however, immigration for a non-EU citizen can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on time of day, day of the week, etc. If you have OW Emerald or Sapphire status, you may be able to get them to let you use the priority immigration lanes, which can help sometimes (though I do remember once being stuck in the "priortity" line for 20 minutes longer than my colleagues who went through the regular line). I think you can probably make it in 2.5 hours if everything is on time, but I'd consider it too tight for my own comfort.

sam2k2002 May 9, 19 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31082366)
I understand that you're flying within the EU on the first leg but the UK has its own border. It sounds like from the link below that you need to go though UK border control to collect bags and recheck at the counter.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...and-transiting

You must check bags an hour prior to departure and then get back through security. I would not be confident in this, are you sure you can't fly hand baggage only? Then I think you could stay airside per that link.

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31082374)
This is too tight for my liking. BA will not send your bags on to AA, you'll have to collect them and then change terminals. A delayed inbound would scupper this plan leaving you at the mercy of AA, who may protect you (coming from a OW separate inbound) or who may direct you to the ticket desk with your wallet open.

Originally Posted by whimsey21 (Post 31082893)
As everyone has said, immigration is the variable here. Usually by the time i'm through immigration, the wait for my checked bag is no more than 20 minutes. In my experience, however, immigration for a non-EU citizen can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on time of day, day of the week, etc. If you have OW Emerald or Sapphire status, you may be able to get them to let you use the priority immigration lanes, which can help sometimes (though I do remember once being stuck in the "priortity" line for 20 minutes longer than my colleagues who went through the regular line). I think you can probably make it in 2.5 hours if everything is on time, but I'd consider it too tight for my own comfort.

Any one have experience with immigration lines on a friday afternoon in early September? Heavier load? Lighter?