Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You definitely can at LHR and it's standard procedure. As I say best just to confirm with the agent at TXL that they've done it (the bag tag will show both LHR and ORD). And for peace of mind you can check with a customer service/lounge/gate agent at LHR in the morning to confirm they see your bag in the system/loaded. There shouldn't be any issue.
thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAL EXP
Any updated tips - arriving terminal 5 and departing terminal 3

All: Later this month, I am scheduled to arrive at 15:45 at LHR Terminal 5 on the daily BA flight from Sofia (no opportunity to take an earlier flight). I then depart on AA flight 135 at 17:15 for LAX from Terminal 3. I am aware the MCT at LHR is 90 minutes for a transfer from terminal 5 to terminal 3. This is exactly a 90 minute connection and I am concerned that any delay - even a minor one - may make the connection a problem. Any tips on minimizing transfer time from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5? I am travelling in J so I should be one of the first off the BA flight.

Related question, should I miss my connection, is this a BA problem or an AA problem (i.e., should I visit with AA or BA on re-ticketing and overnight accommodations)? I booked this trip via AA. Also, is there any compensation due for a missed connection, assuming this is not caused by a weather-related event? I believe AA 135 is the last flight of the day for AA so I anticipate an overnight should I miss the connection.

Thank you for your collective wisdom.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hmsflyer
All: Later this month, I am scheduled to arrive at 15:45 at LHR Terminal 5 on the daily BA flight from Sofia (no opportunity to take an earlier flight). I then depart on AA flight 135 at 17:15 for LAX from Terminal 3. I am aware the MCT at LHR is 90 minutes for a transfer from terminal 5 to terminal 3. This is exactly a 90 minute connection and I am concerned that any delay - even a minor one - may make the connection a problem. Any tips on minimizing transfer time from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5? I am travelling in J so I should be one of the first off the BA flight.

Related question, should I miss my connection, is this a BA problem or an AA problem (i.e., should I visit with AA or BA on re-ticketing and overnight accommodations)? I booked this trip via AA. Also, is there any compensation due for a missed connection, assuming this is not caused by a weather-related event? I believe AA 135 is the last flight of the day for AA so I anticipate an overnight should I miss the connection.

No real new tips other than the usual, i.e. get off your flight at T5, follow the signs to flight connections, take the bus to T3, clear boarding pass check and security, and then go your gate. While 90 mins doesn't leave much room for error you should have plenty of time if things are on time.

If you were to get delayed and miss it, while it would technically be BA's fault as the late arriving carrier, both AA or BA will be able to rebook you. Assuming you would just want to be rebooked on one of the next day's AA flights, I would just go to the AA transit desk at T3.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This should be an easy connection at that time of day (perhaps depending on day of week as well though). It shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to get to your departure gate in T3, depending on where the arrival/departure gates are in T5 and T3. Could be as quick as 30 minutes.

Also note that if you do misconnect, you could route through JFK - there are several flights later in the evening, you'd still have to overnight at JFK, but there are early-AM departures to LAX so you could get to your destination much earlier than taking the morning nonstop the following day from LHR. AA offers flat beds in business class on JFK-LAX as well, so the service is fine.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

BA should be the one re-accommodating you. But I assume there is an AA and a BA desk at T3 "airlines desk" as soon as you get off the transfer bus from T5, so I would go to the one that is the least crowded.

Tip: If your BA flight is delayed and time gets tight, it will help if you already have a boarding pass for the continuing flight. If you are under 90 mins, and you don't have a BP, even if you can make it to the gate on time, you may be denied a boarding pass. So, make sure you have a boarding pass for the next flight.
Having a checked bag might also be an issue even if you run and make it to the gate.

TIP: If you do have a BP, don't stop at the airline desks and just head straight to the gate. At gate, you will go through security questions before boarding.

TIP: Run. The AA gates can be at the very end of T3, so walking fast can save you a few mins of transfer time.

As far as weather delays, you are protected by EU law. You will get a bus voucher, a hotel and an a voucher for an airport meal.

My husband had recently a delay issue (BA flight from Germany delayed due to weather and subsequent runway congestion delays) and missed his AA LHR-LAX flight.
He had separate tickets and was not able to check-in online for the LHR-LAX flight, so he did not have the US bound boarding pass. When he arrived to the airline desk, he was denied a BP, even though it was perfectly possible to get to the gate on time and had no checked bags. He was rebooked on the first BA flight next day and was given hotel, meal vouchers, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
BA should be the one re-accommodating you. But I assume there is an AA and a BA desk at T3 "airlines desk" as soon as you get off the transfer bus from T5, so I would go to the one that is the least crowded.

Tip: If your BA flight is delayed and time gets tight, it will help if you already have a boarding pass for the continuing flight. If you are under 90 mins, and you don't have a BP, even if you can make it to the gate on time, you may be denied a boarding pass. So, make sure you have a boarding pass for the next flight.
Having a checked bag might also be an issue even if you run and make it to the gate.

TIP: If you do have a BP, don't stop at the airline desks and just head straight to the gate. At gate, you will go through security questions before boarding.
Before boarding the bus at T5 for T3, AA customers need to go into a separate line, which I think is where they ask you the security questions. Not sure how easy it is to bypass this (I was flying VS so I ignored). Further, if you can't get your boarding pass, I don't think there's any way through security at the flight connections centre in T3 -- they scan the BP before you enter the queue (which will probably be very short) for "conformance" to make sure you have enough time to get to your gate (conformance used to be a T5 only thing but I believe it's expanded). If you miss the conformance check (I think ~35 minutes), you are automatically offloaded from your flight and rebooked, and there's not much you can do. That being said, since we're talking about AA, even 35m may not be enough if they decide to leave early, like at T-30m. But in that case, you'll be owed EU 261 delay compensation (likely €600), but you'll have to fight (see the thread about MAN here).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Before boarding the bus at T5 for T3, AA customers need to go into a separate line, which I think is where they ask you the security questions. Not sure how easy it is to bypass this (I was flying VS so I ignored). Further, if you can't get your boarding pass, I don't think there's any way through security at the flight connections centre in T3 -- they scan the BP before you enter the queue (which will probably be very short) for "conformance" to make sure you have enough time to get to your gate (conformance used to be a T5 only thing but I believe it's expanded). If you miss the conformance check (I think ~35 minutes), you are automatically offloaded from your flight and rebooked, and there's not much you can do. That being said, since we're talking about AA, even 35m may not be enough if they decide to leave early, like at T-30m. But in that case, you'll be owed EU 261 delay compensation (likely €600), but you'll have to fight (see the thread about MAN here).
At T5, airlines desk is BEFORE security. Boarding pass is scanned before going through security. There is no AA desk at the T5 airline desks area.

At T3, there is no boarding pass scan that I can recall. Are you sure they scan the BPs before security?
t does not make sense as the airlines desk is AFTER security (contrary to T5) and there are lots of people that fly on separate tickets, are foreigners and can't OLCI on flights to US. There would be a lot of people stuck behind security there.

There is no AA personnel (or AA contracted) at all in T5 (anywhere). Upon arriving in T5, follow flight connections and go to bus waiting area. No checks of any kind or lines other than the line to the bus.

AA security questions can be done:
- At AA desk right after security at T3
- At the T3 AA lounge entrance
- At the Gate.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At T5, airlines desk is BEFORE security. Boarding pass is scanned before going through security. There is no AA desk at the T5 airline desks area.

At T3, there is no boarding pass scan that I can recall. Are you sure they scan the BPs before security?
I'm 80% sure they scanned it. 20% chance I just showed it. :/

It does not make sense as the airlines desk is AFTER security (contrary to T5) and there are lots of people that fly on separate tickets, are foreigners and can't OLCI on flights to US. There would be a lot of people stuck behind security there.
I'm almost certain there were also desks before security, off to the side - I remember seeing a sign. I didn't need to head there because I already had my VS boarding pass, but then when I got through security, there was a sign directing all VS/DL pax to re-check at the desks there.

There is no AA personnel (or AA contracted) at all in T5 (anywhere). Upon arriving in T5, follow flight connections and go to bus waiting area. No checks of any kind or lines other than the line to the bus.
I'm 98% sure that there was a little booth/kiosk at ground level where the queues for the shuttle buses are and a sign directing all AA passengers to check with the agent, where presumably they were doing the security questions. I remember a couple was annoyed because they missed the first bus while they were doing this and she said how much she hates flying AA.
But there was no BP check to ensure that AA pax stopped there, as you note, it probably is possible to do the security questions elsewhere -- perhaps this was a new location added to the list.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes there are AA representatives in T5 in the connections part where you get the intra terminal connection buses. They may not be there all the time though (no need to be there once the last AA flight has left for example!)

They try and do the additional security questions there as people are waiting for the buses to T3 to ease some of the pressure in T3.

Not sure if they can do any more such as rebook in case of irrpos or change seats etc or if you have to go to the AA area in T3 for that
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

You may want to have a look at the connection guide on the BA board which covers arriving in to T5 on BA and connecting on to T3 A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Have a look at the post on the new flight connections centre in T3 as well.

Also bear in mind if you come in to a B or C gate you can get the airside bus to T3 from T5B - no need to go all the way to T5A.

t does not make sense as the airlines desk is AFTER security (contrary to T5) and there are lots of people that fly on separate tickets, are foreigners and can't OLCI on flights to US. There would be a lot of people stuck behind security there.

AA security questions can be done:
- At AA desk right after security at T3
- At the T3 AA lounge entrance
- At the Gate.
There are AA agents at the bottom of the escalators just before you get on the airside bus to T3 - but you can ignore them and do the questions at T3 as you noted.

At T3 there are BA and AA airline desks on the left just before security. There are also airline service desks after security just after you go down the escalator. As you enter security at T3 there is a bp scan.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Not sure if they can do any more such as rebook in case of irrpos or change seats etc or if you have to go to the AA area in T3 for that
I don't think the ones just before the airside bus in T5 can do any rebooking either tbh.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 10, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAL EXP
Thank you much for all of your comments!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
they do indeed ask you before your board the bus at t5 where are you flying to. If you say you are flying on AA, they force you to go thro questioning before you board the bus to T3. Easy way to avoid it is to say you are gonna do questioning at the lounge or say you are flying on BA to Prague or whatever other flight BA has from T3. I never been asked to show boarding pass. I highly recommend to avoid questioning in T5 to make sure you go thru security in T3 before cut off time
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
they do indeed ask you before your board the bus at t5 where are you flying to. If you say you are flying on AA, they force you to go thro questioning before you board the bus to T3. Easy way to avoid it is to say you are gonna do questioning at the lounge or say you are flying on BA to Prague or whatever other flight BA has from T3. I never been asked to show boarding pass. I highly recommend to avoid questioning in T5 to make sure you go thru security in T3 before cut off time
They usually just ask anyone flying on AA rather than forcing everyone to confirm where they are flying in my experience - so easily avoided as you say.

I highly recommend to avoid questioning in T5 to make sure you go thru security in T3 before cut off time
T5 has Ready to Fly so a 35 minute cut-off to get to security. T3 doesn't have Ready to Fly so there isn't a cut-off time to pass through security at T3, but I agree best to get to T3 first and do the questions there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
They usually just ask anyone flying on AA rather than forcing everyone to confirm where they are flying in my experience - so easily avoided as you say.

T5 has Ready to Fly so a 35 minute cut-off to get to security. T3 doesn't have Ready to Fly so there isn't a cut-off time to pass through security at T3, but I agree best to get to T3 first and do the questions there.
I didn’t know ReadyToFly ams cut off time are the same thing. I though Heathrow in general has a cut off time regardless of terminal.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
I didn’t know ReadyToFly ams cut off time are the same thing. I though Heathrow in general has a cut off time regardless of terminal.
No general cut-off across all terminals at LHR. Just T5 a formal cut-off which is called Ready to Fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.