FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

KARFA Dec 26, 18 1:31 am

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30572996)
Long-haul flights do generally get their gates posted about an hour before takeoff, since extra time is needed for document checks, extra screening for flights to the U.S., and for boarding in general. Short-haul flights usually don't get their gates posted until much closer, typically 30-40 minutes before departure. One reason is that LHR makes a lot of profit off shopping, and they figure if people know they won't have a gate for another 45 minutes or so, they will shop.

thats not quite correct. Short haul and domestic usually gets gates posted at 60-50 mins before. Boarding usually starts at 30 mins or 40 mins if a bus gate. As someone who has takes hundreds of flights from T5 I have my timings for leaving the lounge to get to gates for boarding down to a tee :)

have a look at the T5 connection guide on the BA board - there are lots of tips on where your flight is likely to depart from.

also so if you ask one of the ba agents at check in or at the lounge they can tell you what the indicated gate is a few hours before. It may change before itís announced but usually it stays the same.

anabolism Dec 26, 18 9:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30574299)
thats not quite correct. Short haul and domestic usually gets gates posted at 60-50 mins before. Boarding usually starts at 30 mins or 40 mins if a bus gate. As someone who has takes hundreds of flights from T5 I have my timings for leaving the lounge to get to gates for boarding down to a tee :)

I'm just going by my own experiences. I've never flown domestic from LHR, but I do fly short-haul intra-Europe fairly often, and most often the board says my gate will be announced 45 minutes before scheduled departure. Most recently I flew to ARN and the board said no gate until 30 minutes before departure.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30574299)
also so if you ask one of the ba agents at check in or at the lounge they can tell you what the indicated gate is a few hours before. It may change before itís announced but usually it stays the same.

Yes, this is what I always do, and usually the gate stays the same.

KARFA Dec 26, 18 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30575286)
Most recently I flew to ARN and the board said no gate until 30 minutes before departure.

Unless the flight was delayed, that would be very unusual to announce the gate that late.

nrr Dec 31, 18 6:11 pm

I connected today (12/31) between T5 and T3 at 8:00 am--very few pax on security lines in T3. I went through security scanner and it "beeped" = extra security; passed through "special" scanner + cursory pat down, plus having to remove my shoes. I probably have more metal in my dental "stuff":p than in my shoes, which passed LHR security on several previous occasions--but LHR security is what it is.:td:

anabolism Jan 1, 19 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30593415)
I connected today (12/31) between T5 and T3 at 8:00 am--very few pax on security lines in T3. I went through security scanner and it "beeped" = extra security; passed through "special" scanner + cursory pat down, plus having to remove my shoes. I probably have more metal in my dental "stuff":p than in my shoes, which passed LHR security on several previous occasions--but LHR security is what it is.:td:

What is the "special scanner?" Is this a full-body scanner?

KARFA Jan 1, 19 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30595991)
What is the "special scanner?" Is this a full-body scanner?

yes. If the metal scanner pings (can be random or if something is detected) you go through the larger scanner.

craz Jan 29, 19 11:23 pm

AA to BA (T3 - T5)

I assume its the same but most posts are talking about the opposite T5 - T3, my choice to keep costs down (AA award tkt) is to fly AA to LHR and then BA ) so my choice is either a connection of 105 mins from arrival to departure = less then that to make sure Door isnt closed on me, or a 5hr layover

Read where a number of folks said they wouldnt have a connect < 90 mins , well 105 is slightly more then 90 but not by much, is it safe? or do I simply spend some time in The Club. Shorter layover arrives 10:55am the longer one 7:40am There will be at least 1 checked bag and final destination is in the EU

Ldnn1 Jan 29, 19 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 30717396)
I assume its the same but most posts are talking about the opposite T5 - T3, my choice to keep costs down (AA award tkt) is to fly AA to LHR and then BA ) so my choice is either a connection of 105 mins from arrival to departure = less then that to make sure Door isnt closed on me, or a 5hr layover

Read where a number of folks said they wouldnt have a connect < 90 mins , well 105 is slightly more then 90 but not by much, is it safe? or do I simply spend some time in The Club. Shorter layover arrives 10:55am the longer one 7:40am There will be at least 1 checked bag and final destination is in the EU

If itís on one ticket, 105mins T3-T5 is fine. Bags will be checked through. BA will put you on the next flight, space permitting, in the unlikely event that you misconnect. Have you checked when that is?

If separate tickets and you have to collect bags, nope.

UKtravelbear Jan 30, 19 4:56 am

On a single ticket MCT from T3 to T5 is 90 minutes and thousands of people every day of the year manage to make it not only within those 90 minutes but meet it by a significant margin. I really don't get why people get so worried about it.

But unless your AA reward ticket includes the BA flight then you will have separate flights so are not connecting and as AA (like BA) don't interline bags on separate tickets you would have to enter the UK at T3, collect your bag and then make your way landside to T5.

Given that check-in for BA short haul closes 45 minutes before departure you won't have time to do that in 105 minutes so would need to take the flight with the longer layover

ijgordon Jan 30, 19 7:30 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30718099)
On a single ticket MCT from T3 to T5 is 90 minutes and thousands of people every day of the year manage to make it not only within those 90 minutes but meet it by a significant margin. I really don't get why people get so worried about it.

I'm sure scores of people every day miss their connections too. Clearly the odds are forever in your favor, but it all comes down to your risk tolerance and the "cost" of the misconnection to you (e.g., if the next flight is an hour later, no biggie, if it's 24 hours later and you're going to a cruise, another story).

craz Jan 30, 19 7:43 am

But unless your AA reward ticket includes the BA flight then you will have separate flights so are not connecting and as AA (like BA) don't interline bags on separate tickets you would have to enter the UK at T3, collect your bag and then make your way landside to T5.

Given that check-in for BA short haul closes 45 minutes before departure you won't have time to do that in 105 minutes so would need to take the flight with the longer layover

Personally I only questioned it because of all the others who did so in this thread and those that answered that <90 mins they wouldnt be comfortable and that 90 was the min. An extra 15 mins isnt that much more

Yes it will be 1 tkt so no problem checking bag all the way thru

Havent flown on BA since they moved to T5 and only 1 *A connection that was all T3(LH/UA).

For my routing there are several more flights to connect to but that means arriving after sunset to a place I havent been to and dont know, thusly prefer to arrive while its light out to find my way walking to my hotel If I miss connect then the next flight is 2 hrs later a total of just < 4 hrs, so if it was chancey Id rather go with the earlier JFK flight, now I dont have eto

IADCAflyer Jan 30, 19 7:46 am

I've done T3 -> T5 and I think I did it in 30 minutes. Granted it was one of the first arrivals of the day, but even if it took an hour, 105 minutes seems plenty to me.

Ldnn1 Jan 30, 19 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30718553)
I'm sure scores of people every day miss their connections too. Clearly the odds are forever in your favor, but it all comes down to your risk tolerance and the "cost" of the misconnection to you (e.g., if the next flight is an hour later, no biggie, if it's 24 hours later and you're going to a cruise, another story).

Indeed but this is why it's surprising that many posters ask 'is this connection time ok' without giving any clue as to what it would mean to them if they missed it. No connection is 100% assured. Magnitude matters just as much as the probability here.

anabolism Jan 30, 19 11:53 pm

One reason is because neither AA nor BA has a stellar reputation for on-time arrivals, and LHR is notorious for arrival delays. Transfer security can be extensively backed-up. The flight connections bus can take forever to depart. Any of us who connect in LHR frequently have had countless times when everything went well and we had ample lounge time on a supposedly tight connection, along with more than a few times when our inbound flight was late, we had an extensive trek to the bus gate, a long wait for the bus, massive lines at transfer security, long walk and/or shuttles to the departure gates, etc. I fully understand the dilemma in choosing between a 95-minute connection and a multi-hour one.

KARFA Jan 31, 19 3:45 am

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30722309)
One reason is because neither AA nor BA has a stellar reputation for on-time arrivals, and LHR is notorious for arrival delays. Transfer security can be extensively backed-up. The flight connections bus can take forever to depart. Any of us who connect in LHR frequently have had countless times when everything went well and we had ample lounge time on a supposedly tight connection, along with more than a few times when our inbound flight was late, we had an extensive trek to the bus gate, a long wait for the bus, massive lines at transfer security, long walk and/or shuttles to the departure gates, etc. I fully understand the dilemma in choosing between a 95-minute connection and a multi-hour one.

Certainly an interesting opinion. As someone who connects through LHR on a weekly basis it doesn't resonate with my experiences tbh. I think my worst transfer between T5 and T3 in either direction was one that took maybe 60 minutes. Other than that I have regularly done it in 35-45 minutes from stepping off the plane to being in the airside departures area in the other terminal.

Transfer security at T5 did used to get backed up a lot, but since the improvements and new route to south security I haven't seen that happening over the last few years.

In terms of being on time arriving I don't find I am regularly late. The times I have had significant inbound delays of more than 30 minutes is less than 5-10% of my flights.