FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

pmblinn Dec 4, 18 10:06 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 30497865)
I'm assuming that this is airline related and not gate related? For instance if I'm flying in on AA and out on BA it'll just give me the directions from T3 to T5, or by inputting the flight numbers and dates will it provide gate to gate information closer to the day of travel?

You will input actual airlines, flight numbers and dates. Tool will give you terminal-level connecting detail, as specific gate assignments aren't made until about 1 hour (I think) prior to scheduled departure.

wakesetter93 Dec 4, 18 10:34 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 30497942)
You will input actual airlines, flight numbers and dates. Tool will give you terminal-level connecting detail, as specific gate assignments aren't made until about 1 hour (I think) prior to scheduled departure.

Understood.

I tried out the tool but didn't know if it provided updated information on the day of travel. Thanks!

nrr Dec 4, 18 10:50 am

I'm connecting T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) on December 25; I assume that the connection bus system will operate on 12/25, even though nearly all mass transit in London shuts down.

KARFA Dec 4, 18 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30498100)
I'm connecting T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) on December 25; I assume that the connection bus system will operate on 12/25, even though nearly all mass transit in London shuts down.

Yes the airside connection buses will operate on Christmas Day. Also if you do need to go landside I believe there will be inter-terminal HEX trains.

nrr Dec 4, 18 11:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30498112)
Yes the airside connection buses will operate on Christmas Day. Also if you do need to go landside I believe there will be inter-terminal HEX trains.

Thanks! I've done this connection too often:td:. I won't have to go landside; isn't that a double whammy: LHR immig. plus LHR security.

ntamayo Dec 21, 18 12:09 pm

The advice to aj411 upthread will help me as well: DFW-LHR-BRU, arriving in PE, departing in Y, morning connection of 2h 15m next Fri.

Only concern for me is at T5 security screening and not getting Fast Track (me PLT, wife & daughter are GLD). Would pre-booking the Fast Track Security Pass benefit us at this point?

jtav559 Dec 21, 18 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo (Post 30562013)
The advice to aj411 upthread will help me as well: DFW-LHR-BRU, arriving in PE, departing in Y, morning connection of 2h 15m next Fri.

Only concern for me is at T5 security screening and not getting Fast Track (me PLT, wife & daughter are GLD). Would pre-booking the Fast Track Security Pass benefit us at this point?

You should be able to make it in 2:15, but it could get pear shaped if security is backed up. If you are wanting to use the lounge facilities at all, paying for it would help give you some extra time.

I think as a PLT / OW Saph - you are entitled to Fast Track Security (others can confirm?). Seems AA site says you are, but I have not been through there on a PY or Y ticket before to test the theory. I don't know if that also applies to Fast Track at immigration.

A side bar thought - You could politely ask the AA crew in J if you (a PLT) could snag a few of the fast track invitations for your connection as it is a little tight. They do hand them out occasionally and if you smile really big :D

EDIT TO ADD:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t5

See the security drop down menu and the passport control drop down menu. They both list that OWS are entitled to benefits. If your party is all on one ticket, I think they will get the OWS treatment. Especially if you say, "My wife and daughter are traveling with me."

You should be good from what I can read, but that can be confirmed by other FT members with hands on experience.

N830MH Dec 21, 18 1:40 pm

Hi all,

I scheduled to fly from PHX-MIA-LHR on AA and then British Airways from LHR-BSL. I knows how to get there. I can change from T3 to T5. So I will take inter terminal shuttle bus. It is very near security checkpoints where the terminals shuttle bus is.

Steve_ZA Dec 22, 18 4:15 am

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 30562174)
EDIT TO ADD:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t5

See the security drop down menu and the passport control drop down menu. They both list that OWS are entitled to benefits. If your party is all on one ticket, I think they will get the OWS treatment. Especially if you say, "My wife and daughter are traveling with me."

You should be good from what I can read, but that can be confirmed by other FT members with hands on experience.

The rule with fast track security is it normally the card holder plus a guest, they will probably let a family though together but this would be bending the rules a bit.

nrr Dec 22, 18 5:20 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30562349)
Hi all,

I scheduled to fly from PHX-MIA-LHR on AA and then British Airways from LHR-BSL. I knows how to get there. I can change from T3 to T5. So I will take inter terminal shuttle bus. It is very near security checkpoints where the terminals shuttle bus is.

Getting from your plane in T3 to the connection bus can involve lots of walking (even with moving conveyors); at times the queue for the bus is long and the busses aren't always running "on schedule". After debussing in T5 there is lots of walking to get to T5 security. The Fast Track lines for T5 security can be long(er) than regular at times. But with all of the above, I've gotten out of T5 security in less than 1 hour and had time to visit a BA Lounge for 30+ minutes, before doing lots of walking (sometimes having to take a train within T5) to my gate.

N830MH Dec 23, 18 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30564069)
Getting from your plane in T3 to the connection bus can involve lots of walking (even with moving conveyors); at times the queue for the bus is long and the busses aren't always running "on schedule". After debussing in T5 there is lots of walking to get to T5 security. The Fast Track lines for T5 security can be long(er) than regular at times. But with all of the above, I've gotten out of T5 security in less than 1 hour and had time to visit a BA Lounge for 30+ minutes, before doing lots of walking (sometimes having to take a train within T5) to my gate.

Actually, I have 3 hours layover. So I can barely makes it. I am connecting the flight to Basel. I know the flight is departed at T5a.

nrr Dec 23, 18 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30569125)
Actually, I have 3 hours layover. So I can barely makes it. I am connecting the flight to Basel. I know the flight is departed at T5a.

I've connected for flts. from LHR to ZRH (flying on BA). The gates are not always the same, they post dep. gates 40 minutes before t/o time. Once after arriving at my dep. gate they made a change, hence lots more walking and instead of boarding at the gate the were bussed to the plane.:td:

KARFA Dec 24, 18 12:48 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30569125)

Short haul can go from any of t5a/b/c. It is probably more likely to go from A but it can go from B or C as well - so you would need a little extra time to go to B/c gates using the transit. Gates are usually posted around an hour before the flight, although if you ask a BA agents when they are checking your bp they should be able to tell you before that what the indicated gate is - albeit there is a small chance it may change prior to it being displayed.

anabolism Dec 25, 18 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30569344)
Gates are usually posted around an hour before the flight, although if you ask a BA agents when they are checking your bp they should be able to tell you before that what the indicated gate is - albeit there is a small chance it may change prior to it being displayed.

Long-haul flights do generally get their gates posted about an hour before takeoff, since extra time is needed for document checks, extra screening for flights to the U.S., and for boarding in general. Short-haul flights usually don't get their gates posted until much closer, typically 30-40 minutes before departure. One reason is that LHR makes a lot of profit off shopping, and they figure if people know they won't have a gate for another 45 minutes or so, they will shop.

nrr Dec 25, 18 2:45 pm

Or spend lots of time in a lounge!