FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

JJeffrey Jul 11, 18 7:28 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu (Post 29961906)
Thanks for the responses. I am coming landside so the above scenario works great for me. I did follow the lounges thread but I was only able to see the ones for T3. Is there another link Iím missing? This is the link from FT - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Search the BA forum for guides on all the T5 lounges. There's no link here as AA uses T3 at LHR, hence the lengthy discussion on T3 lounge options.

KARFA Jul 11, 18 7:40 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu (Post 29961906)
Thanks for the responses. I am coming landside so the above scenario works great for me. I did follow the lounges thread but I was only able to see the ones for T3. Is there another link Iím missing? This is the link from FT - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Have a look at the dashboard on the BAEC board for information on the lounges in T5.

Brief summary:
OWS/J passenger - can use galleries club lounges, one each at north and south end of T5 main building and one in the T5B satellite building
OWE - can use galleries first lounge, at the south end of the T5 main building
BA F or CCR card holder - can use Concorde Room, at the south end of the T5 main building

QueenOfCoach Jul 11, 18 8:57 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu (Post 29960538)

This time Iím flying LHR-AUS on BA out of T5 and wondering if the process will be the same or if Iím better off going through T3 then taking the bus after crossing Security. Not even sure if thatís possible.

It's not impossible but would be a huge hassle and waste of time to try to go through T3 for a T5 departure. I think exceptions are made if the passenger wishes to shop in the Duty Free in a terminal for which they are not ticketed.

Just go straight to T5, check in and go through security there. As an AA Plat you can get in the BA Galleries North or South lounges.

Anticipating your next question: Should you go to the North or South lounge? The standard reply when offered apparently equal lounge choices is to go to the one nearest your departure gate. In LHR, however, you will not know your departure gate until it is announced when it's time to start moving towards the gate. Ah, you say, can't I just check out past departure gates for the same flight for a week or two? Won't they use the same gate? No. I tried that. I got the LHR app and for about three weeks I tracked the departure gate for "my" flight LHR-DUS. I hoped to see some kind of pattern so I could choose the best part of the terminal to wait, hoping to be near my gate. There was no pattern. Over that three weeks, "my" flight left from T5A north, south and occasionally from T5B gates.

Having said that, I have a new scheme. When I go through Flight Conformance in T5 (where they check your boarding pass and send you up the escalators to Security), I politely ask the bp-checker if they have a gate "penciled in". That tells the bp-checker that I know that any info they give me is subject to change. If the bp-checker can look up my flight's "penciled in" gate, then they tell me but also warn me to watch the monitors as that can change. I thank them, then after Security I go wait in the terminal area nearest my "penciled in" gate. I also keep an eagle eye on the monitors for the official announcement. All that does is increase the odds I will be waiting in the part of the terminal nearest my departure gate, maybe to 75:25 instead of 50:50.

QueenOfCoach Jul 11, 18 8:59 am

deleted duplicate

KARFA Jul 11, 18 9:06 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 29962259)
It's not impossible but would be a huge hassle and waste of time to try to go through T3 for a T5 departure. I think exceptions are made if the passenger wishes to shop in the Duty Free in a terminal for which they are not ticketed.

Just to clarify the OP wanted to go from landside through security at T3 and then transfer to T5 as the OP thought security at T3 may be better. This is not possible and if you are coming from landside for any terminal at LHR you can only enter security at that terminal if you have a bp for a flight departing from that terminal.

This differs from the separate connection security at T3, and you can go through T3 connection security without a bp at all.

You are right that with a T5 departing flight the OP could go through security at T5, then get the airside bus to T3, and at some later stage get the airside bus to T5. However, to do this the OP would incur 2 unnecessary security scans - one on arriving at T3 and another on arriving back at T5. The reason that is often asked about is to go to the T3 lounges although the OP hasn't said that is a factor in their case.

living near shamu Jul 11, 18 10:45 am

Thanks everyone. All of your responses have helped me a lot.

QueenOfCoach Jul 11, 18 11:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29962293)
Just to clarify the OP wanted to go from landside through security at T3 and then transfer to T5 as the OP thought security at T3 may be better. This is not possible and if you are coming from landside for any terminal at LHR you can only enter security at that terminal if you have a bp for a flight departing from that terminal.

This differs from the separate connection security at T3, and you can go through T3 connection security without a bp at all.

You are right that with a T5 departing flight the OP could go through security at T5, then get the airside bus to T3, and at some later stage get the airside bus to T5. However, to do this the OP would incur 2 unnecessary security scans - one on arriving at T3 and another on arriving back at T5. The reason that is often asked about is to go to the T3 lounges although the OP hasn't said that is a factor in their case.

Thank you for the clarification.

I get the impression that some think that once they go through Security in any LHR terminal, they can airside bus themselves between terminals at will, kind of like DFW and the SkyTrain. Not so. There is zero reason for the OP in this mini-thread to go anywhere near T3.

brp Jul 11, 18 11:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29962293)

The Flight Connections security at T3 used to be more lax, and no BP was required. At least for us, the last few times we went through there (and it has been a little while as we're now primarily flying BA into LHR, so not going to T3), they had made this security more closely match that in T5 and they did want to see BP.

Cheers.

IADCAflyer Jul 18, 18 8:29 am

Maybe it was the time of day I traveled, but I found the issue of T3->T5 and T5->T3 transfers of little issue. Granted my AA 100 flight got in straight away at 6:00 am, but I was snug in the BA Galleries Lounge within 25 minutes. About the same amount of time on the return to catch AA 141.

econ Jul 21, 18 1:16 pm

So I recently had my first T5-->T3 experience since they put the AA staff near the T5A bus stop. At the bottom of the escalators, the person directing everyone where to go directed me along with seemingly everyone else flying on AA into the same line to see the AA staff at the podiums.

When its my turn, the person at the podium asked me (somewhat apologetically) how I ended up in that line, and that I could have had this taken care of at the lounge. I just mentioned that I went into the line that the signs and the person directing people told me to go into.

Anyways, in the future, it sounds like I can just skip the extra line, go directly into the line to wait for the bus, and take care of the boarding pass check at the AC/FL in T3?

Would prefer not to waste time in unnecessary lines when I could be spending those precious minutes in the CX First lounge. ;)

econometrics Jul 21, 18 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 29998699)
Anyways, in the future, it sounds like I can just skip the extra line, go directly into the line to wait for the bus, and take care of the boarding pass check at the AC/FL in T3?

Yes. Or even wait until you get to the departure gate.

There's no rule/law saying you have to stop and get the security questions before you bus over the T3.

bse118 Jul 21, 18 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 29998699)
So I recently had my first T5-->T3 experience since they put the AA staff near the T5A bus stop. At the bottom of the escalators, the person directing everyone where to go directed me along with seemingly everyone else flying on AA into the same line to see the AA staff at the podiums.

When its my turn, the person at the podium asked me (somewhat apologetically) how I ended up in that line, and that I could have had this taken care of at the lounge. I just mentioned that I went into the line that the signs and the person directing people told me to go into.

Yep, there's absolutely no reason that you must get into that line:

"I'm flying BA" or "I'll take care of it at the lounge" or just ignore and get in the line that doesn't lead to the AA podiums. I've used all of these approaches.

(When flying AA out of LHR on a connection my standard practice is spend the balance of my time in the CX or QF lounges and just duck into the AA lounge right before boarding time to take care of the stupid question theatre.)

KARFA Jul 22, 18 4:18 am

The new flight connections centre in LHR T3 is now open and replaces the old temporary one. Some information and photos in this post which forms part of the connection guide thread on the BAEC board

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998308-post383.html

laagima Jul 22, 18 10:17 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30000121)
The new flight connections centre in LHR T3 is now open and replaces the old temporary one. Some information and photos in this post which forms part of the connection guide thread on the BAEC board

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998308-post383.html

Thank you! As usual, amazing contribution!

econometrics Jul 22, 18 12:21 pm

Yes, thank you KARFA, for the great pictures and thoughtful explanation. This looks like it will be nicer, finally.

And the Admiral's Club might finally get its apron views back? Are they taking down the old, temporary FCC?