FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

ccengct Feb 8, 16 5:30 am

Even when flying Y, I've always been able to do Fast Track through LHR Flight Connections by showing my EXP card. Yes in theory they should be able to see Emerald on the BP for AA, but the card seems to make it go faster.

Don't waste time at the AA connections counter, assuming you have a BP of some kind for your AA flight. Go directly to the gate where you will be shunted into a security interview and AA will probably reprint your BP.

ccengct Feb 8, 16 5:34 am

Haven't seen any AA security screeners at the entrance door of the LHR AC in recent months. But they're everywhere else.

Geauxtigers Feb 8, 16 8:01 am

*****

muishkin Feb 8, 16 8:36 am


Originally Posted by Geauxtigers (Post 26151247)
Is it really possible to avoid the AA connections counter with a boarding pass printed elsewhere or do I need the security sticker? I'm flying CPH-LHR-DFW in a few weeks and with only 95 min T5-T3 I was going to see if I could get the BA agent in CPH to print my boarding pass for LHR-DFW/ go immediately to security and the gate once at Heathrow

Yes of course it's possible.

Skatering Feb 8, 16 9:24 am


Originally Posted by Geauxtigers (Post 26151247)
Is it really possible to avoid the AA connections counter with a boarding pass printed elsewhere or do I need the security sticker? I'm flying CPH-LHR-DFW in a few weeks and with only 95 min T5-T3 I was going to see if I could get the BA agent in CPH to print my boarding pass for LHR-DFW/ go immediately to security and the gate once at Heathrow

I did DUB-LHR-ORD in December which was BA T5 to AA T3. The AA transfer counter process was security questions by ICTS, and then reprinting boarding passes I already had.

When I got to the gate, more ICTS people were doing security interviews, so I could've easily skipped the desk. It's before security, and as per the stories further above, you really can't risk wasting time at the AA counter if a 30-minute game of security theatre will kill your connection.

transportbiz Feb 8, 16 9:28 am

Anything under 120 minutes to connect at LHR is uncomfortable. It's nice to have the F lounge access, but you'll never likely have time to use it. Heathrow really is my least favorite aspect of AA/OW TATL.

LHR does have the "theater" of security mastered. Most inefficient process I've encountered. If there is something "unknown" in your bag, your entire bag is unpacked piece-by-piece, rather than finding the one item pulling it out, re-scanning your bag. In my case it was an 8-once tin of cashews. :rolleyes:

JDiver Feb 8, 16 9:32 am


Originally Posted by UpInTheAir (Post 26149429)
How long does it normally take to connect from BA (flight arriving at T3) to AA at LHR's T3? I entered my flight numbers into the heathrow.com site and it said 70 minutes! Which gates does BA use at T3 and which gates does AA use there? Knowing which gates they use would be helpful as the terminal map shows the gate numbers but not which ones are used by which airline.

Please see the wikipost in the existing thread, where your query has been merged. There's a link to a very easy to use tool for LHR connections. /Moderator

brp Feb 8, 16 10:44 am


Originally Posted by WAS (Post 26150332)

Like others said, you basically go back to the terminal entrance, go through security (I've had success getting into the Fast Track lanes by showing an elite card, even when flying Economy). After security, you also might have to stop at the AA desk to get an AA boarding pass and answer some of those stupid security questions. After that, it's a bit of a hike to the gate, so allow time for that.

Things have changed, although not sure how recently. There is now a room/set of counters prior to security where one must get a BP to be able to go through security (used to be that no BP was required for this and one could go to the desk after to get it). If one has a valid BP, of course, no need to stop in the room.

If getting the BP there, they also ask the questions.

The new area has moved and now lets out much closer to the lounges and gates than previously. The hike is quite a bit shorter and does not involve going through the shops.


Originally Posted by ccengct (Post 26150666)
Don't waste time at the AA connections counter, assuming you have a BP of some kind for your AA flight. Go directly to the gate where you will be shunted into a security interview and AA will probably reprint your BP.

The connections counter that used to be after security often had a short line and we would stop there to avoid doing it at the gate. Failing that, we pop into the AC to answer the questions there. This way we can go to the gate just to board and not be shunted aside.

Cheers.

fresnojohn Feb 8, 16 11:35 am

Worried about a late arrival and early departure at Heathrow this summer; get a hotel or spend a night in a terminal, customs & passport control, restaurants closing down, transportation buses/trains shut down, etc.... I fear my wife and I will be sleeping in Terminal 3 until 5 AM when buses/trains start running again.

We arrive on a late Saturday night, 10:45 PM from Chicago on American Airlines #90 (Terminal 3).
We leave next day, Sunday morning at 7:00 AM from Heathrow on British Airways #638 (Terminal 5).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Calchas Feb 8, 16 2:37 pm


Originally Posted by fresnojohn (Post 26152336)
Worried about a late arrival and early departure at Heathrow this summer; get a hotel or spend a night in a terminal, customs & passport control, restaurants closing down, transportation buses/trains shut down, etc.... I fear my wife and I will be sleeping in Terminal 3 until 5 AM when buses/trains start running again.

We arrive on a late Saturday night, 10:45 PM from Chicago on American Airlines #90 (Terminal 3).
We leave next day, Sunday morning at 7:00 AM from Heathrow on British Airways #638 (Terminal 5).

Any advice would be appreciated.

You cannot get into Terminal 5 until the morning of your flight. Security opens about 5.30 am.

You are not supposed to go into the "wrong" terminal so sleeping in Terminal 3 would be discouraged (if it's even still possible?).

Therefore you might end up stuck outside next to the check in counters for 7 hours—rather unpleasant!

I advise you get a hotel room near Terminal 5.

Exec_Plat Feb 8, 16 2:59 pm


Originally Posted by fresnojohn (Post 26152336)
Worried about a late arrival and early departure at Heathrow this summer; get a hotel or spend a night in a terminal, customs & passport control, restaurants closing down, transportation buses/trains shut down, etc.... I fear my wife and I will be sleeping in Terminal 3 until 5 AM when buses/trains start running again.

We arrive on a late Saturday night, 10:45 PM from Chicago on American Airlines #90 (Terminal 3).
We leave next day, Sunday morning at 7:00 AM from Heathrow on British Airways #638 (Terminal 5).

Any advice would be appreciated.

LAST thing I want would be to slum around an airport for 8 hours after a torturous flight overseas.

land, get bag, clear customs- take the train from the terminal to T5/Sofitel. Asleep by 11:30, get 5-6 hrs and a shower!

The Sofitel is great- it is an easy walk to T5 in the AM, all connected. It can be pricey but a Saturday night is usually less by quite a bit than a weekday (business travelers). Keep searching and see if they drop prices- dont buy non-refundable unless you are sure it really IS a deal. Some consolidators offer sofitel on occasion. I usually spend US$150-300 for a weekday night, plus or minus over the last 3 years.

For me a few more $$ is worth not having to take the hotel shuttle (Hoppa?) as it adds a time uncertainty for me and cuts an extra 30+ minutes out of bed-time. Plus I like the sofitel and the restaurant.

ccengct Feb 9, 16 5:08 am


Originally Posted by brp (Post 26152055)
Failing that, we pop into the AC to answer the questions there. This way we can go to the gate just to board and not be shunted aside.

Yes I've done that too when I have sufficient time to visit the club. But if the connection is tight, it's straight to the gate.


Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26153479)
The Sofitel is great- it is an easy walk to T5 in the AM, all connected... For me a few more $$ is worth not having to take the hotel shuttle (Hoppa?)

Agree on both points!

richarddd Feb 9, 16 7:00 am

I'm not entirely clear on what is being recommended in the more recent posts on transfer.

What is the preferred way to go from T5 to T3 without excessive time and security annoyance, if travelling in a premium cabin, having printed BPs through OLCI?

The last time I went through flight connections there was no way to avoid the questioning security types at the desks.

ccengct Feb 9, 16 7:08 am


Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 26156549)
The last time I went through flight connections there was no way to avoid the questioning security types at the desks.

You will be questioned. The only variable is where... at the T3 transfer counter when you get off the bus, or at the Admirals Club, or at the gate, or at check-in if you decide to go landside through UKBA and then reenter.

People arriving BA at the satellite T5B and T5C should note that they can catch the T3 bus from the satellites without having to go all the way to T5 main.

richarddd Feb 9, 16 7:20 am


Originally Posted by ccengct (Post 26156590)
You will be questioned. The only variable is where... at the T3 transfer counter when you get off the bus, or at the Admirals Club, or at the gate, or at check-in if you decide to go landside through UKBA and then reenter.

People arriving BA at the satellite T5B and T5C should note that they can catch the T3 bus from the satellites without having to go all the way to T5 main.

How do you avoid being questioned at the transfer counter?

A few months ago, the security types stopped us as we walked past the counters (this was T3-T3 and we already had BPs). In prior transits, we could just walk through if we already had BPs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:34 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.