FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

Djokison Feb 21, 16 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by moogsonskates (Post 26189384)
I arrive at 8:40AM at T3 in London. I have a 1:05PM from T5 to Paris. So, 4 h 25 minutes to go from one to the other. Unless forced, I will not have any checked luggage (all within measurements, and have premium economy w/ early boarding so will have overheard space I hope).

Your questions have been answered (more than once), so I won't go repeating that. There is however one thing I'd like to mention/point out, AA does not have Premium Economy. I presume you're in MCE, it's no more than Economy with a bit of extra legroom (and width on certain planes.)

brp Feb 22, 16 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26203595)
FWIW, I'm told that the security staff are gone from the lounges and won't be coming back in the foreseeable future, so people who are transferring at LHR are well advised to answer the questions at the transfer area if it's not too busy, else to arrive at the gate with enough time to answer them before boarding is called.

Yup. As I mentioned above as recently as a week ago. The impression I got is that it is not coming back. OTOH, there was no one at the gate when we went and the questions breezed by. And we boarded within 5 minutes of that.

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26203595)
When I transferred at LHR in December (a rarity for me), the desks after security were bereft of AA personnel and signage, while the new area was as you mentioned quite busy. I wonder why AA have both places populated, and whether it's only some of the time? In fact... I wonder why they moved at all, since there was nothing inherently wrong with the old setup? Oy.

This time there were AA staff, and a good-sized line, at the desks after security. We opted for the AC, which turned into the gate :)

As to why they moved, the whole security arrangement at T3 has changed. The area has moved (one comes out very near the lounges now rather than having to trek through the shops. It is quite a bit larger than the old space, and looks more like T5. Modernized and updated.

Cheers.

Even if the poster did have checked bags, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever not to check them through to Paris. It's easy for AA to do, and well within policy to expect it to be done, so checking bags through to London only would add a huge helping of wasted time onto this transfer.

Exec_Plat Feb 22, 16 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26189430)
This is ample time. Like more than ample. Unless your inbound is heavily delayed, ...

I will opine that you should always try to check in prior to arrival at LHR/T5.

I had a wide open 3.5 hr connection at LHR, then took a 3 hrs delay out of LAX.

But I forgot to check in for my separate onwards BA flight to Berlin.

On arrival at t5 I had missed their checkin cut off by a minute. (Excellent BA employees doing their jobs....but I digress.) They put me on the later flight and I *still* got to the not-yet-departed earlier flight to TXL- no dice.

Had I simply checked in at LAX, while in the air, or even on the bus from T3 to T5 I would have been fine...

Microwave Feb 22, 16 11:34 am

Check-in must occur no sooner than 45 minutes before departure at LHR, though conformance is also in place which means you cannot enter security with less than 35 minutes of time to make your flight.

My point above was that any issue/delay could impinge on connection time; definitely the more one can do before getting to the airport the better, though I stand by my post that 4:25 is tons of time at LHR, and planning for a multi-hour delay is just wasting time. BA will get you there eventually, and if there's a delay it's best to be flexible and roll with the bumps.

Calchas Feb 22, 16 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26226426)
Check-in must occur no sooner than 45 minutes before departure at LHR, though conformance is also in place which means you cannot enter security with less than 35 minutes of time to make your flight.

This is relaxed on connections. My record is t-21 minutes. By the time I got on board I was a sweaty mess though (and not in a good way)

zitsky Feb 22, 16 1:37 pm

I have an itinerary RDU-LHR-NCE. Can I check in for both flights online or at RDU? Must I check in for the second segment at LHR?

Microwave Feb 22, 16 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 26227090)
This is relaxed on connections. My record is t-21 minutes. By the time I got on board I was a sweaty mess though (and not in a good way)

Poster I was replying to had purchased separate tickets, thus the check in and conformance requirements would be as stated. :)

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 26227209)
I have an itinerary RDU-LHR-NCE. Can I check in for both flights online or at RDU? Must I check in for the second segment at LHR?

If you bought it all as one itinerary, AA will have no problem checking you in and issuing both boarding passes in RDU. You'll be fine.

richarddd Feb 24, 16 6:35 am

AA rep somewhere in flight connections asked where we were going, but no security questions. I suppose they'll ask at the gate.

Fast track security was fast; BA lounge is rather crowded. T5-T3.

EDIT: questioned at the gate. Had a pleasant conversation about vacation spots with the security guy. No wait for security or to board. We started walking to the gate when "boarding" was posted on the board.

ccengct Feb 25, 16 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26227365)
If you bought it all as one itinerary, AA will have no problem checking you in and issuing both boarding passes in RDU. You'll be fine.

Don't be surprised if BA insists on reprinting the LHR-NCE BP on BA stock, but the AA-issued BP is good enough. Just be careful with the AA-issued BP if a checked bag receipt is on the back of it. I've seen this happen.

LAX/HKG Feb 25, 16 11:11 am

Hi there,

I will be flying AMS-LHR-LAX, all on one ticket, with AMS-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA. My questions are:

1. Will I be allowed to use the BA lounges in T5?

2. If I can use the lounges in T5, do I need go through security again when taking the airside bus to T3?

wrp96 Feb 25, 16 11:20 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG (Post 26242667)
Hi there,

I will be flying AMS-LHR-LAX, all on one ticket, with AMS-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA. My questions are:

1. Will I be allowed to use the BA lounges in T5?

2. If I can use the lounges in T5, do I need go through security again when taking the airside bus to T3?

You won't be able to get airside at T5 without a departure from T5, so no you won't be able to use the lounges in T5.

No matter what, you will have to go through security at T3.

Microwave Feb 25, 16 11:28 am

T5 lounges are nothing to write home about in any event, you'll be well served in T3.

zitsky Feb 25, 16 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ccengct (Post 26242149)
Don't be surprised if BA insists on reprinting the LHR-NCE BP on BA stock, but the AA-issued BP is good enough. Just be careful with the AA-issued BP if a checked bag receipt is on the back of it. I've seen this happen.

Thanks. I tend to put my boarding passes in a jacket pocket. Now I just need my travel agent to get me some decent seats in coach. They are dragging their feet.

ijgordon Feb 25, 16 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26242764)
T5 lounges are nothing to write home about in any event, you'll be well served in T3.

I was at the AC in LHR a few months ago for the first time in years (I would usually go to FL or CX F, but was slumming in J this time).
I thought it was pretty nice, more or less on par with the BA lounges. There was hot food and open bar.

Big_Foot Feb 25, 16 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26153479)
The Sofitel is great- it is an easy walk to T5 in the AM, all connected.

Are you still recommending Sofitel if we arrive at T5 late at night
and connecting to an early morning flight from T3?
Can I get a taxi at Sofitel to take us to T3?

Exec_Plat Feb 25, 16 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big_Foot (Post 26244501)
Are you still recommending Sofitel if we arrive at T5 late at night
and connecting to an early morning flight from T3?
Can I get a taxi at Sofitel to take us to T3?

Ive done both. Alone I take the train; with my son we took the train...but with my SO we took a taxi but really it is pretty straightforward. The concierge at the sofitel will arrange a taxi if you ask. Kindof a waste of money, but its relative, eh? When you take the train, you have that bit of the unknown, where you might arrive just after the train has left, so add X minutes. I dont know the frequency, just memory it is 10-15 or so? Look it up. heathrow Express, or "HEX"- the connection between terminals is free, so ignore any fare stuff.

Arriving T5 you will exit security, while still in the terminal take the elevators up and walk over to the hotel (all covered, it is about 3 very long enclosed walkways that actually wrap around the short term parking garage before you get into the hotel.

There is a grocery store type place (M&S Simply food) in the terminal where you can get some snacks/drinks/whatever if you want before you get to the elevators and into the hotel. When you dont want the production of room service but want a quick late night snack.

stifle Feb 26, 16 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 26221907)
So I have a flight in late September RDU-LHR-NCE. I have a 2 hour and 20 min layover which I'm starting to think might not be enough. I can look into the possibility of being booked on a later connecting flight if that's really necessary.

My question is, if I miss my flight, how do I get on the next one? There is one another 3 hours later if necessary. Can I just go to the gate and ask to be put on the flight? Is there a customer service desk for BA that I could go to? Would it be better to make a phone call from my US phone to UK BA customer service?

Coming back I have a 3 hour layover which seems like enough.

If you miss your flight you won't be able to just go to the gate, partly because you are unlikely to be let through security and partly because gates aren't shown until around 50 minutes before departure. You need to go to the BA customer service desks. You can't do it over the phone as they'll need to give you a new BP.

MarkedMan Feb 27, 16 1:13 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 26249397)
If you miss your flight you won't be able to just go to the gate, partly because you are unlikely to be let through security and partly because gates aren't shown until around 50 minutes before departure. You need to go to the BA customer service desks. You can't do it over the phone as they'll need to give you a new BP.

As Microwave pointed out they are likely to give boarding passes out in RDU. 2:20 is ample to get from T3 to T5 and all that jazz, albeit you will be in T5 at peak connecting time. On top of this, AA are extremely effective at LHR at re-booking passengers who are likely to miss conformance in T5, every time my flight has been even a bit late (as my LAX-LHR was early this week, by 30 minutes) there are AA agents calling out and holding boards with specific flights with potential conformance issues in T5, they usually have new BPs for re-booked flights at the ready.

Should you be in danger of not making your connection, which IMO is only an issue if you deplane with less than 60 minutes on the clock to make it to T5, and AA has not flagged you either because you have flights on separate reservations or something went wrong, walk to connections and get into the AA facility before T3 connections security or the bus terminal for T5 and have them sort it out there. NOTE that AA will protect you even if the BA flight is on a different reservation, so just go into the AA facility and they will work with you. No need to book a 5:20 connection in other words unless you really want to spend four hours in a BA lounge in T5 or something.

FWIW I have even had cases where I was on separate PNRs, my flight went south from the US and I was able to get agents to send notice to LHR that I had a connection. Again, AA was ready on deplaning with a new boarding pass for my connecting flight. They do a pretty good job of handling misconnects at LHR, as well they should since it's AA's OW gateway into Europe.

Geauxtigers Feb 28, 16 2:18 pm

Microwave Feb 29, 16 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers (Post 26257266)
Flight from CPH left early, but had to circle around LHR for ~10 min, still got in 10 minutes early to T5B. Realized that I did not have to go to the main terminal for the bus connection to T3 so after walking 5 minutes looking for flights connections I got to the bus area. Another 8 minutes goes by and the bus finally shows up, but by this point there were probably 10~15 people waiting and the bus was packed. I was one of the last sardines to get on the bus or else it probably would've been another 10 minutes (they made several people wait for the next bus).

The buses from T5B are a life saver. You may think the stop was busy and the bus was full, but I can assure you the situation was much worse at T5A at that time. Generally they lay on a better frequency than 10 minutes if it's busy, but clearly not always. Glad it worked out!

jinglish Mar 6, 16 10:43 am

So ninety minutes is the MCT for T5 to T3, and it's actually doable if the flight's reasonably on time? I have a trip home on AA out of LHR, but I'm thinking of finishing my trip up in LBA instead and booking a one-way on BA that arrives exactly ninety minutes before my CLT departure.

Calchas Mar 6, 16 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 26292779)
So ninety minutes is the MCT for T5 to T3, and it's actually doable if the flight's reasonably on time? I have a trip home on AA out of LHR, but I'm thinking of finishing my trip up in LBA instead and booking a one-way on BA that arrives exactly ninety minutes before my CLT departure.

90 minutes is normally bags of time.

For future reference the fare tariff from North America to LON is the same as to LBA [and other UK domestic destinations served by BA mainline], so you could have added the sector at zero cost to your original booking.

For LBA-LHR-CLT it's a bit unfortunate as the terminal change means you have to go through security again at LHR. But there's no reason you'll experience any problems.

N830MH Mar 6, 16 4:48 pm

I went through LHR last month and I took terminal bus from T5 TO T3, and then I passed through at security again, and went onto the concourse. I wait for my flight is leave and they didn't telling me for which the gate number. They never told me about gate number is it. The gate number is 27, and purple coats told the gate agent and she gave me a gate number. I have wait for the gate is open. I didn't needs any helps and it was so much easy for me. I knows how to catch the next flight out.

millionmiler Mar 6, 16 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 26292779)

I always give myself more time than that but, yes, if your flight arrives on time you will be fine.

ijgordon Mar 7, 16 9:41 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler (Post 26294151)
I always give myself more time than that but, yes, if your flight arrives on time you will be fine.

To the central departure lounge (aka shopping mall) of T3, it's probably 20 minutes of actual travel time (walking and bus ride). Then add some time for bus waiting and security screening - under normal circumstances shouldn't be more than another 10-20 minutes, but either of those could be a wild card. And then add additional walking time to get to the gate, could be 5-15 minutes extra.

JDiver Mar 7, 16 11:44 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 26294104)
I went through LHR last month and I took terminal bus from T5 TO T3, and then I passed through at security again, and went onto the concourse. I wait for my flight is leave and they didn't telling me for which the gate number. They never told me about gate number is it. The gate number is 27, and purple coats told the gate agent and she gave me a gate number. I have wait for the gate is open. I didn't needs any helps and it was so much easy for me. I knows how to catch the next flight out.

LHR doesn't announce gate numbers until close to boarding. That can be challenging if a passenger is far from the announced gate. Glad you made it OK.

Calchas Mar 7, 16 11:47 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26297574)
LHR doesn't announce gate numbers until close to boarding. That can be challenging if a passenger is far from the announced gate. Glad you made it OK.

Gate swaps at LHR are common because there are insufficient gates for the number of flights, so if someone lands late they lose their assigned gate and someone else gets it.

If you go to somewhere like NRT there are about five gate change announcements per hour. I think this could be even more confusing/annoying than not knowing until is definite.

N830MH Mar 7, 16 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26297574)

Thanks! :) I appreciate that. I have no idea about gate numbers announces. Oh well! :(

QueenOfCoach Mar 7, 16 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 26294104)

Specifically, the best place to look for gate number announcements is on the TV monitors located throughout the terminal. Just find a comfy place to wait and look up at the monitor from time to time. When you see your flight getting close to the top, look at the monitor more often.

N830MH Mar 7, 16 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 26299304)
Specifically, the best place to look for gate number announcements is on the TV monitors located throughout the terminal. Just find a comfy place to wait and look up at the monitor from time to time. When you see your flight getting close to the top, look at the monitor more often.

Got it. Thanks! I have to be patient and they will tell me when. I have to be more patiently, am I right?

QueenOfCoach Mar 7, 16 8:51 pm

NEW LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 &lt;---&gt; BA T5 connection / transfer master thread

The way it works at Heathrow is that gates are assigned at the last minute. Other airports have the luxury of advance planning, but Heathrow is too busy for too much advance planning.

Thus: when it's time to move towards the departure gate, they put a note "Go To Gate XX" on the TV monitor. When you see that, go to gate XX.

Don't wait for "someone" to tell you. Just watch the TV monitors. That is all you need to know.

IMH Mar 8, 16 8:32 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 26299304)
the best place to look for gate number announcements is on the TV monitors

For BA departures there's also the BA app, which is more convenient than standing close to a monitor if you want to eat, shop or just sit somewhere comfortable. Passengers with lounge access can also ask when entering a lounge. The person scanning your BP can see the most recent information for your flight, which will typically include the expected gate long before it goes up on the big screens.

Exec_Plat Mar 8, 16 10:44 am

I always ask "so where does the flight to XYZ usually depart from?" and "I know I cant rely on that, but it will help me plan"

This will elicit a bit more that "not announced yet"

QueenOfCoach Mar 8, 16 10:47 am

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 26301888)
For BA departures there's also the BA app, which is more convenient than standing close to a monitor if you want to eat, shop or just sit somewhere comfortable. Passengers with lounge access can also ask when entering a lounge. The person scanning your BP can see the most recent information for your flight, which will typically include the expected gate long before it goes up on the big screens.

All true. I have the LHR app and use it to see my departure gate. I also keep an eye on the TV monitors, just out of lifetime habit.

This is the take-home lesson that I wish to impart to N830MH. No matter where you are, no matter what airport, always check the TV monitors for your current gate. In airports other than LHR, they might print your departure gate on your boarding pass or the ticket agent might tell you. Usually that's accurate.

However, for various reasons, departure gates can change between the time you check in and the time you depart. The latest and correct information will be on the TV monitors. Check a TV monitor before heading off towards your departure gate. Don't just depend on your boarding pass or whatever someone might have told you. The gate may have changed, and you might find yourself alone at the wrong gate.

(The only exception to this rule is when you, and everyone else, are at the announced departure gate and a gate agent announces that a gate has changed. You and everyone else pick up and move to the new gate all together.)

In Heathrow this advice is imperative, since gates are assigned at the last minute. A flight might be "penciled in" for a given gate, but you can't rely on that tentative gate assignment absolutely. In addition, at Heathrow, some gates are locked closed until airline personnel come to open them and check documents before the passengers can even enter the gate area and sit down. If you get to one of those gates early, you will have no place to sit and will have to wait. You also run the risk of being at the wrong gate, should your departure flight's gate change at the last minute. Going to a gate at Heathrow before seeing the "Go To Gate XXX" on the TV monitor is risky.

If you are visually handicapped and cannot easily read the TV monitors, ask someone to read them for you.

Blumie Mar 8, 16 10:57 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 26300000)
The way it works at Heathrow is that gates are assigned at the last minute. Other airports have the luxury of advance planning, but Heathrow is too busy for too much advance planning.

Thus: when it's time to move towards the departure gate, they put a note "Go To Gate XX" on the TV monitor. When you see that, go to gate XX.

Don't wait for "someone" to tell you. Just watch the TV monitors. That is all you need to know.

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26302577)
I always ask "so where does the flight to XYZ usually depart from?" and "I know I cant rely on that, but it will help me plan"

I have to say that I have transited LHR as much as the next person, and never once have I experienced the least bit of anxiety about the gate posting practices. The gates may not be posted as early as at some other airports, and yes the walks can be long, but I have never had an experience where I felt rushed due to a late posting of the gate. And usually (not always, but usually) the gate is posted early enough that when the board says "GO TO GATE XX," I can make the decision that I don't need to go just yet as there still is plenty of time before boarding and departure. Even when the board switches to "GATE CLOSING," you typically have plenty of time to get there (although at that point I would not dillydally and just head to the gate ASAP).

QueenOfCoach Mar 8, 16 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26302577)

In Heathrow, there is no "usual" gate. A couple of years ago I got the Heathrow app and tracked the departure gate for my upcoming BA LHR-DUS flight for about three weeks. I wanted to see if there was some kind of pattern, so I could sit in the departure lounge near the expected gate.

There was no pattern. None. That same LHR-DUS flight left from the north, south and middle part of T5A, and a couple of times from T5B. It was absolutely random.

Edited to add 4/8/2016: I want to make it clear that predicting the terminal that a flight will departure from is easy. That you can do from the LHR website. You will know, well in advance, if your flight will depart from T5, T3, etc. Predicting the exact gate is far more problematic. When tracking my LHR-DUS flight, I knew I would depart from T5, but had no idea if there was any particular gate assigned to that flight on a regular basis. I was interested in knowing in advance so I could wait in either the North or South BA lounge closest to my gate.
In addition to having the Heathrow app on my iPhone, with a pop-up notice of the departure gate announcement, I just ask the person scanning my boarding pass prior to the escalators up to T5 Security if they see anything "penciled in" for that flight that day. (The "conformance" check.) So long as the BP checker knows I know it's tentative, they usually don't mind telling me so long as they actually have the info at hand. All that does for me is tell me what part of the T5 departure lounge (north? south? middle?) I should park my butt and wait, hoping for a relatively short walk to the gate. I still keep an eye on the app and the TV monitors. Things can and do change.

I'm pretty much used to the routine. I've been making the LAX-LHR-DUS trek every year for the past 20+ years.

Blumie Mar 8, 16 11:01 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 26302660)
In Heathrow, there is no "usual" gate.

Definitely not true. Some airlines and some flights absolutely have "usual" gates. Doesn't mean it happens every time, but, for example, you always know which gates the AA flights are going to fly out of. And the BA long haul flights are more likely to depart from the B and C concourses than the A concourse. But, again, it just doesn't matter: the gate will be posted in plenty of time to get there. And at LHR more than any other airport it makes no sense to go to the gate until you need to.

QueenOfCoach Mar 8, 16 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 26302655)
I have to say that I have transited LHR as much as the next person, and never once have I experienced the least bit of anxiety about the gate posting practices. The gates may not be posted as early as at some other airports, and yes the walks can be long, but I have never had an experience where I felt rushed due to a late posting of the gate. And usually (not always, but usually) the gate is posted early enough that when the board says "GO TO GATE XX," I can make the decision that I don't need to go just yet as there still is plenty of time before boarding and departure. Even when the board switches to "GATE CLOSING," you typically have plenty of time to get there (although at that point I would not dillydally and just head to the gate ASAP).

All true.

Some like to linger a bit longer in the lounge. They don't want to feel they have to jump up the instant "Go to Gate XXX" is announced. Perfectly valid.

Also valid advice to not dillydally if you see "Gate Closing". Valid-issimo.

I take a different approach in that I like to "be where I am supposed to be". It is my personal preference to be at the departure gate, perhaps waiting 15 minutes or so, than to linger back in the departure lounge. That's just how I live my life. I prefer to get someplace early (work, restaurant, meeting, airport, departure gate) than be even a fraction of a minute late. I hate being late and hate feeling rushed.

When I get someplace early (meeting, etc), I just pull out my iPhone and play a few rounds of Angry Birds.

QueenOfCoach Mar 8, 16 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 26302685)
Definitely not true. Some airlines and some flights absolutely have "usual" gates. Doesn't mean it happens every time, but, for example, you always know which gates the AA flights are going to fly out of. And the BA long haul flights are more likely to depart from the B and C concourses than the A concourse. But, again, it just doesn't matter: the gate will be posted in plenty of time to get there. And at LHR more than any other airport it makes no sense to go to the gate until you need to.

OK, I'll meet you halfway.

It has been my experience that the longhaul AA flights usually depart from T3 Gate 35 or so. They are more or less predictable. Last year we all went to Gate 35 for the LHR-LAX flight, only to find there was a mechanical delay. After a while, we were all moved to an alternate aircraft at Gate 32.

True also about longhaul BA flights leaving from T5B and T5C. (The TV monitors will say "Departing from Terminal B" or "C" well in advance, giving you time to go to T5B or T5C, then wait for the final gate announcement.)

But also true that shorthaul BA flights, such as LHR-DUS or LHR-CDG or LHR-AMS can leave out of any T5A gate and sometimes T5B or T5C. My own tracking experiment and personal experience sure proves that one.

I think we both agree on the bottom line: When at Heathrow, stay in the departure lounge until the gate is announced on the TV monitor (or app). Start walking towards that gate in a timely fashion. There is nothing to be gained and much to potentially lose by waiting at a departure gate before it's officially announced.

zitsky Mar 8, 16 11:28 am

Just curious about something. I'm doing 9/24 RDU-LHR-NCE then 10/5 LYS-LHR-RDU. I just noticed that LHR-NCE goes out in Terminal 5 but LYS-LHR returns to Terminal 3. I'm not complaining as that will save me from making one terminal transfer. But why would NCE (BA 346) go out of T5 and LYS (BA 365) fly into T3? Is NCE a much larger airport?