FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

Exec_Plat Jan 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by gmoney90 (Post 26111555)
So after reading the 30 pages in this very helpful thread, can someone please tell me if I have this correct?

I am a US citizen, transferring from an international flight (that arrives from the USA into LHR T3 at 650am) to a within-UK flight (that departs from LHR T5 at 955am), on separate unprotected tickets, with no checked bags, and with a boarding pass.

I do NOT have to go through Passport Control at T3, exit T3, take the underground to T5, go through security, and proceed to the gate?

Instead, I transfer airside, follow the purple Flight Connection signs, go from from T3 to T5 via the free connections bus, go through passport control and security, and proceed to the gate, all at T5.

I am trying to make travel plans and make good decisions. Thanks!

Proposed Itinerary Details
> Fly from Raleigh Durham USA on AA to LHR. Arrive at T3 at 650am. No checked bags.

> Fly from LHR T5 on BA on a separate unprotected ticket at 950am. No checked bags.

Yup.

I would check into the BA flight online, either at JFK or inflight. Even if you dont have a physical boarding pass. I was late on arrival and even though made it with time to spare, technically missed the check in window by 2 minutes. (arguably NOT time to spare ;) )

QueenOfCoach Jan 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CLTRob (Post 26111491)
Will the 90 minutes be enough time for a connection at LHR? I've flown through LHR in the past where we had a one hour wait for a gate - more than once!

90 minutes is a bit too close for my personal comfort, however, I am the type who would much rather sit in the departure lounge with a good book than sprint through the terminal on a fast connection.

If your incoming flight is late, then you are toast.

Many people would be willing to take the risk of a 90 minute T5-T3 connection. I am not one of them.

rjw242 Jan 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 26111884)
If your incoming flight is late, then you are toast.

"Toast" is relative, though :)

Assuming this is the 9:45am flight to CLT, there are dozens of other ways for AA to get the OP to his destination that day. Worst case, AA pays for a hotel and gets him out the next day (since this is an EU departure). Of course, if getting back on time is critical, it may be worth scheduling in more time between flights, as others have pointed out.

Calchas Jan 31, 2016 6:56 pm

So after reading the 30 pages in this very helpful thread, can someone please tell me if I have this correct?

I am a US citizen, transferring from an international flight (that arrives from the USA into LHR T3 at 650am) to a within-UK flight (that departs from LHR T5 at 955am), on separate unprotected tickets, with no checked bags, and with a boarding pass.

I do NOT have to go through Passport Control at T3, exit T3, take the underground to T5, go through security, and proceed to the gate?

Instead, I transfer airside, follow the purple Flight Connection signs, go from from T3 to T5 via the free connections bus, go through passport control and security, and proceed to the gate, all at T5.

Proposed Itinerary Details
> Fly from Raleigh Durham USA on AA to LHR. Arrive at T3 at 650am. No checked bags.

> Fly from LHR T5 on BA on a separate unprotected ticket at 950am. No checked bags.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yes this is the best way. Just keep following the purple signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5 and then subsequently Flight Connections UK.

Even without a boarding pass you can collect it in T5 before passport control.

remedy Jan 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 26111998)
"Toast" is relative, though :)

Assuming this is the 9:45am flight to CLT, there are dozens of other ways for AA to get the OP to his destination that day. Worst case, AA pays for a hotel and gets him out the next day (since this is an EU departure). Of course, if getting back on time is critical, it may be worth scheduling in more time between flights, as others have pointed out.

It helps if you have FastTrack - and flights are on time. Flight OUT of LHR are sometimes late too.

gmoney90 Jan 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 26112549)
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yes this is the best way. Just keep following the purple signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5 and then subsequently Flight Connections UK.

Even without a boarding pass you can collect it in T5 before passport control.

Thanks very much. This and your previous posts were very helpful.

aktchi Feb 3, 2016 11:08 am

I do something similar quite often (AA to LHR , then BA to DEL) and this is indeed the best way.

The question that none of us here can answer is, would the incoming AA flight be late? Now AA and BA are partners and should protect you in case of a misconnect, but I have never faced that situation while on separate tickets and don't want it on my conscience to tell you all would be ok. (I know that AA protects misconnects from OW partners, but not sure of BA policy.)

If you have not bought the tickets yet, and it is only a matter of a few dollars more, I would recommend putting both flights on one ticket.

Otherwise, if you feel like chancing it, 3 hrs seem fine. I would at least call BA in advance and let them know I would be arriving by AA flight XYZ. Good luck!

gmoney90 Feb 4, 2016 5:24 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 26127302)
I do something similar quite often (AA to LHR , then BA to DEL) and this is indeed the best way.

The question that none of us here can answer is, would the incoming AA flight be late? Now AA and BA are partners and should protect you in case of a misconnect, but I have never faced that situation while on separate tickets and don't want it on my conscience to tell you all would be ok. (I know that AA protects misconnects from OW partners, but not sure of BA policy.)

If you have not bought the tickets yet, and it is only a matter of a few dollars more, I would recommend putting both flights on one ticket.

Otherwise, if you feel like chancing it, 3 hrs seem fine. I would at least call BA in advance and let them know I would be arriving by AA flight XYZ. Good luck!

I really appreciate your response and will definitely consider this. Thanks!

stifle Feb 4, 2016 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 26127302)

It is not BA policy to protect misconnects if a passenger chooses to purchase separate tickets. It comes down to agent discretion.

aktchi Feb 6, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 26133917)
It is not BA policy to protect misconnects if a passenger chooses to purchase separate tickets. It comes down to agent discretion.

Thanks. This would definitely make it even more desirable to put the flights under one PNR.

Inqui Feb 6, 2016 2:40 pm

Just to note I do this connection on a regular basis and it can be a <pain>, AA tend to give you an express pass if its tight which helps, BA haven't done so in my experience, also to note only Exec and Exec Plat are entitled to use the priority queues, not gold members. It's minimum an hours connection with priority and can be 90 mins or more without.

Also to note, stack times at LHR are variable and I have often arrived in the London area early, and landed late.

tyr Feb 7, 2016 8:43 am

I transferred from a domestic BA flight arriving in T5 to an AA flight to LAX departing T3 yesterday. Prior to security in T3 I was directed to the AA transfer desks to get an AA boarding pass.

I was expecting the usual 'how long have you owned these bags' style questions, but instead was asked about who my employer was, where their HQ is, what the CEO's name was etc etc. I was even asked who I was hiring a car with in LAX. Basically much more intensive questioning than I've ever got at the US boarder. Is this normal now? I was quite taken aback by volume and detail of the questions, especially since there was no prior warning that there was going to be so many.

What is the point of this screening anyway, if you take a BA flight they don't ask you anything like this?

Calchas Feb 7, 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by tyr (Post 26146948)
I transferred from a domestic BA flight arriving in T5 to an AA flight to LAX departing T3 yesterday. Prior to security in T3 I was directed to the AA transfer desks to get an AA boarding pass.

I was expecting the usual 'how long have you owned these bags' style questions, but instead was asked about who my employer was, where their HQ is, what the CEO's name was etc etc. I was even asked who I was hiring a car with in LAX. Basically much more intensive questioning than I've ever got at the US boarder. Is this normal now? I was quite taken aback by volume and detail of the questions, especially since there was no prior warning that there was going to be so many.

What is the point of this screening anyway, if you take a BA flight they don't ask you anything like this?

The questioning is required of US carriers flying to the US. As you say, foreign carriers flying to the US do not seem to be required to do this.

A cynic might suggest that the point of the screening is to look tough and reassuring.

aktchi Feb 7, 2016 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by tyr (Post 26146948)

That's an "AA thing" at LHR. They don't do this at other US or even foreign airports like HKG or NRT.

AA's LHR ops live in their own world. After you have done the real LHR security, you encounter a ring of AA-hired "security" to ask such questions. Then the actual check in agent. If you are going to the lounge, there may be an extra security person to deal with before approaching the reception desk..and then the lounge receptionist can also start on who were you visiting in London, where do you work, where do you live etc.

All of this has happened to me. And I have never seen this anywhere else.

UpInTheAir Feb 7, 2016 7:48 pm

70 minutes to connect from BA to AA at LHR T3?

How long does it normally take to connect from BA (flight arriving at T3) to AA at LHR's T3? I entered my flight numbers into the heathrow.com site and it said 70 minutes! Which gates does BA use at T3 and which gates does AA use there? Knowing which gates they use would be helpful as the terminal map shows the gate numbers but not which ones are used by which airline.