Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing Ł6 for one person or Ł11 for a family one way, Ł11 for one person and Ł21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremykjtan
Hi all,

The partner and I have got a flight at the end of the year which will be landing at T3 and then we will be connecting the following day to a BA flight out of T5 at LHR.

We're moving overseas so expect to be carrying a significant amount of baggage (possibly in the vicinity of 5-6 bags, + hand luggage) and am looking for ideas/the most effective way of transporting ourselves (and said baggage) over to T5. Obviously there is the bus between terminals but with that much baggage the worry is that things could be pretty stressful as it is, so wondering if someone here has any ideas? Unfortunately I would say with the connection time onto our next flight being approx. 19-20 hours I doubt they would transfer the bags through onto the next flight?

Thanks in advance!
Are you arriving on AA/BA to T3? They should transfer the bags. There is a large baggage store under T5 precisely for overnight baggage storage for overnight connections.

Usually if you are doing an overnight connection at T5 you can choose to either collect your bags and recheck next day, or not collect your bags and just let then remain in T5. I don't see why this wouldn't also work with a T3 arrival and T5 departure - so on arrival at T3 you could exit landside with carry on bags only, go to your hotel, and then turn up at T5 next day, whilst your bags remain in the system and are stored overnight at T5. Also if you want some of your bags overnight you should be able to collect the ones you need whilst checking through others.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I have done overnight AA/BA transfers at LHR---the luggage transfers automatically without any problem if tagged properly at the origin.

Major hubs are used to long connection times (up to 24 hours is even called a connection rather than stop), so this should not be a problem.

An unrelated suggestion: If you'd have baggage exceeding your free allowance, why not consider shipping some of your stuff?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA typically won't check through on connections of over 12 hours. I would make your plans based on having to collect all your bags at LHR.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by aktchi
No immigration or customs required. Ask him to follow "Flight Connections".

He'll have to undergo security again---so don't buy any duty free liquor or perfume in PHL!
Properly sealed duty free liquids with a receipt can pass through security at LHR. This is documented on the Heathrow website.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Thanks for your replies KARFA, aktchi and wrp96. We'll actually be flying JL into T3 at LHR and out of T5 the following day on BA, but we're on a AA ticket.

It sounds like the best option will be to push (ask very nicely) for the bags to be tagged all the way through to our final destination when we first check in the bags for the journey - The overall journey is quite long as we are departing from New Zealand. Hopefully they'll be accomodating and make sure it gets transferred all the way through which will make things a lot easier on landing at LHR, and then we can just ensure we pack the essential overnight gear in our smaller carry on bags.

If worst comes to worst and the bags do get offloaded, plan B might just have to be hiring a small minivan/taxi to shift us (and our bags) between T3 and T5 and store them at the hotel overnight.

We're considering sending over some of our stuff earlier also!

Thanks all for your help, with luck hopefully all goes smoothly.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
LHR connection and baggage question

I will be flying on AA from ORD-DFW-LHR. Then on a separate ticket I purchased from BA I will be connecting in LHR to go on to Brussels.

My questions are:

1. AA will no longer tag my bags all the way through to Brussels right? Since it's two separate tickets?

2. If they won't send the bags through does that mean in LHR I have to exit through immigration and customs and claim my bag. Then go back to the main departures hall and check my bag in with BA then go back through security to head towards my BA flight?

3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I will be flying on AA from ORD-DFW-LHR. Then on a separate ticket I purchased from BA I will be connecting in LHR to go on to Brussels.

My questions are:

1. AA will no longer tag my bags all the way through to Brussels right? Since it's two separate tickets?

2. If they won't send the bags through does that mean in LHR I have to exit through immigration and customs and claim my bag. Then go back to the main departures hall and check my bag in with BA then go back through security to head towards my BA flight?

3. How long will all that take in question 2? I have built in just over 2 hours connection time.
1. They do not have to, but it's worth asking. Some agents may still do it.

2. Yes. BA flights to BRU are out of T5 and so you will need to do a T3 to T5 transfer anyway. It's quite easy landside on the Heathrow Express (free).

3. The most variable element will be the timing at immigration. If the regular line is long, tell them you have a tight connection and try to get through the Fasttrack line. If your flights were on the same PNR, there would be someone to meet you at the flight with your new boarding pass in an orange express sleeve. However, since they won't know you're connecting (most likely even if you ask them to add notation to your PNRs) then you probably won't get that. At least, if you have a long wait at immigration, your bag should be waiting for you. I would estimate that the transfer could easily take 90 min without unusually long lines at immigration.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My questions are:

This is correct, though a ticket agent might still check bags through. Try hard, because otherwise you'll quite possibly be challenged to make your ongoing flight from Terminal 2.

In that case, you will have to process as if arriving in the UK, collect your baggage, go downstairs, walk via the Central Station walkway (Central serves both T-3 and T-2) or use other land transport to Terminal 2, check in and process security as if you were an originating passenger. See the Wikipost for details. (As you are not appearing as a connecting passenger, your ticket likely includes UK APD, as well.)

That will by necessity make a very tight connection.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 16, 2016 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Try hard, because otherwise you'll quite possibly be challenged to make your ongoing flight from Terminal 2.

In that case, you will have to process as if arriving in the UK, collect your baggage, go downstairs, walk via the Central Station walkway (Central serves both T-3 and T-2) or use other land transport to Terminal 2
Unless I'm missing something, BA LHR-BRU flights depart from T5 not T2.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:02 am

That will be a very tight connection indeed. BA bag drop closes 45 mins before departure, which means you're leaving yourself 1h15 (or 'just over') to get from airside T3, through immigration, pick up baggage, get on HEX or Tube, and make it to T5 bag drop. You'll need everything to run very smoothly indeed.

However, when did you buy your ticket to BRU? If it was in the past few months, and assuming it's not HBO, then it should be a 'Plus' fare which allows free on-the-day changes up to 1h before departure. If so, then if things are looking tight you could try and change it to a later flight when you land at LHR, or even before you depart DFW if it's after midnight UK time. That would take some stress out of it.

Alternatively, travel HBO - much easier.

Originally Posted by beerup
Unless I'm missing something, BA LHR-BRU flights depart from T5 not T2.
Correct. No BA flights from T2.

And T3-T5 is a lot further than T3-T2.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:47 pm

My questions are:

We just did that same connection of 2:10 (although we started at LAX) and I would advise you to pack light and do all carry on to avoid dealing with claiming and rechecking luggage. Our flight departed one hour late so our 2:10 connection was reduced to 1:10 and there was nobody holding a card with our name on it. We only made our flight because it was delayed and we were in business class, so deplaned almost first and had express passport control.

And before you say, "I can't do carryon," this less-than-petite gal and her DH spent 27 days away from home and managed it. Unless you have business-related materials, yes, you can.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by critterchick
We just did that same connection of 2:10 (although we started at LAX) and I would advise you to pack light and do all carry on to avoid dealing with claiming and rechecking luggage. Our flight departed one hour late so our 2:10 connection was reduced to 1:10 and there was nobody holding a card with our name on it. We only made our flight because it was delayed and we were in business class, so deplaned almost first and had express passport control.

And before you say, "I can't do carryon," this less-than-petite gal and her DH spent 27 days away from home and managed it. Unless you have business-related materials, yes, you can.
Awesome thanks! Yes we are going to try at all costs to do carry on only. We should be able to pull it off. Also, we should be in Business class on the inbound to LHR.

What is the express passport control you mentioned?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Awesome thanks! Yes we are going to try at all costs to do carry on only. We should be able to pull it off. Also, we should be in Business class on the inbound to LHR.

"Fast Track" - and you generally need an invitation (that is handed out in Business Class).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by critterchick

If you fly with only carry on, you don't have to go through passport control at all. You can just connect like you normally would, following the purple signs, taking the bus to T5.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
my friends who are not experienced travelers, have no status with AA, are in coach on an award ticket have this quandry. Booked to LHR from the states with an onward connection on BA on the same pnr/ticket, arriving T3 and departing T5 next month. The departure time has not changed but the arrival time has a 15 minute buffer added to it .. when this happened is anyone's guess and they were not notified of the change, which makes the connect time 85 minutes instead of what was over 90.. Will this be an issue at the US gateway checkin, is mct checked then? the next flight is to the destination on BA is 14 hours later at night (they are arriving in the early am.. before 7 I think) so they are trying to decide whether it is possible to try to make the flight .. it could happen, or to take the sure thing on the later flight. I dont want to worry them, but trying to help them through the decision now instead of later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.