FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

Markie Apr 16, 16 12:44 am


Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 26492307)
On a recent BA to BA transfer at T3 I walked past a room on the left that people with transfers to AA were being urged to use. What is the purpose? Does one need to go in there if you already have an onward BP?

They check your passport, issue an AA boarding pass and sometimes do the security check required before boarding.

nbevan Apr 16, 16 1:22 am


Originally Posted by Markie (Post 26492424)
They check your passport, issue an AA boarding pass and sometimes do the security check required before boarding.

I wonder what the purpose of this is:
a) the passport could be checked and the BP could be reissued at the lounge or gate
b) the security check could be done at the lounge (if they still do this?) or gate
c) only unique benefit is that they can inform you of any gate or itinerary changes

But in general it would seem to be quicker to ignore this precheck and go straight to the lounge/gate?

GUWonder Apr 16, 16 2:37 am


Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26490940)
Depending on when you went last year you might have been in the old T3 FCC or the new one. It moved around April/May time (I think) last year. However in both cases there was/is a fast track security lane on the left hand side.

I used both the older and newer T3 transit security last year when I hadn't always seen the fast track security lane sign last year. And even when I've seen the signs for it -- at the old place and now even at the new place -- sometimes it wasn't worth using the premium passenger security lines.


Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 26492482)
I wonder what the purpose of this is:
a) the passport could be checked and the BP could be reissued at the lounge or gate
b) the security check could be done at the lounge (if they still do this?) or gate
c) only unique benefit is that they can inform you of any gate or itinerary changes

But in general it would seem to be quicker to ignore this precheck and go straight to the lounge/gate?

Remember the shopping mall with an airport operation we call London-Heathrow? If people went straight to the gate (or even perhaps the lounges), would they tend to spend more or less money at the airport concessions? And also, the gate that is used for the actual flight isn't always known at the time the transit passenger arrives at LHR to make a connection at T3.

Passport checks, boarding pass reissuance and various security checks can still be done at the gates for AA flights. At least it's still being done even if you originate a trip landside at LHR. Redundancy and redundant opportunities for the same kind of checks? There's been some of that with AA at LHR for years now.

AndyHall Apr 16, 16 11:40 am

I have a connection from T5 to T3 , from BA to AA tomorrow. I only have a boarding pass for in the incoming flight, not for the AA connection. Will I be able to get through T3 security without the BP? I know the AA desk is just AFTER security, as I've done the connection many times, but normally with BP. (BA MMB won't give me any AA BPs).

KARFA Apr 16, 16 11:46 am


Originally Posted by AndyHall (Post 26493969)
I have a connection from T5 to T3 , from BA to AA tomorrow. I only have a boarding pass for in the incoming flight, not for the AA connection. Will I be able to get through T3 security without the BP? I know the AA desk is just AFTER security, as I've done the connection many times, but normally with BP. (BA MMB won't give me any AA BPs).

Have you tried getting a bp from aa.com? It may not work though.

However, in answer to your question, you may be able to get a bp from check in before your BA flight. If not, you can go over to T3 without a bp (there is no bp check when using the airside buses). When you get to security at T3 FCC just tell them you haven't got one and obtain it from the AA desks just after security.

AndyHall Apr 16, 16 11:53 am


Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26493989)
Have you tried getting a bp from aa.com? It may not work though.

However, in answer to your question, you may be able to get a bp from check in before your BA flight. If not, you can go over to T3 without a bp (there is no bp check when using the airside buses). When you get to security at T3 FCC just tell them you haven't got one and obtain it from the AA desks just after security.

Thanks! I tried via AA.com but they just redirected the page to BA, which still won't give me the BP.
I only have carry on, and would prefer prefer to skip the check in counter as the flight is really early. I'll try to get the BP at T3.

econometrics Apr 16, 16 12:06 pm


Originally Posted by AndyHall (Post 26494019)
Thanks! I tried via AA.com but they just redirected the page to BA, which still won't give me the BP.
I only have carry on, and would prefer prefer to skip the check in counter as the flight is really early. I'll try to get the BP at T3.

You'll see a connection desk on your left as you get close to T3 transfer security. Go there and ask them for your BP. They'll ask you some security questions and put a sticker on your passport.

If you don't get the sticker there, they will ask those questions when you get to the gate. So you can skip that if you get the BP at the T3 connection desks.

KARFA Apr 16, 16 12:39 pm


Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 26494069)
You'll see a connection desk on your left as you get close to T3 transfer security. Go there and ask them for your BP. They'll ask you some security questions and put a sticker on your passport.

I think the AA desks (and other airline desks) are all just after security.

econometrics Apr 16, 16 1:02 pm


Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26494177)
I think the AA desks (and other airline desks) are all just after security.

There are some there, yes. But there are also some desks on the left before you go into the new security area.

KARFA Apr 16, 16 1:02 pm


Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 26494241)
There are some there, yes. But there are also some desks on the left before you go into the new security area.

Ah, ok thanks.

nbevan Apr 16, 16 1:12 pm


Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 26494241)
There are some there, yes. But there are also some desks on the left before you go into the new security area.

Those are the ones that I said it might be easier to skip if you already have a BP.

iplaybass Apr 16, 16 6:41 pm

We're traveling in December over the holiday, and AA wants to book me a legal transfer at 1:35 (0820-0955) from T5-T3. I've never done T5-T3 in less than 2 hours, but that was several years ago. I have less stressful options getting us home later, but would you do it?

aktchi Apr 16, 16 6:45 pm


Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 26492482)
I wonder what the purpose of this is:
a) the passport could be checked and the BP could be reissued at the lounge or gate
b) the security check could be done at the lounge (if they still do this?) or gate
c) only unique benefit is that they can inform you of any gate or itinerary changes

But in general it would seem to be quicker to ignore this precheck and go straight to the lounge/gate?

AA has this weird overkill at LHR, which they don't do just about anywhere else. Nevertheless, for smoothest experience you should follow the process they have set up. If you skip it, inadvertently or not, all of that stuff can and will be done at other points as you mention. Gate is the last option, but of course delaying that far can slow down your boarding.

aktchi Apr 16, 16 6:46 pm


Originally Posted by iplaybass (Post 26495202)
We're traveling in December over the holiday, and AA wants to book me a legal transfer at 1:35 (0820-0955) from T5-T3. I've never done T5-T3 in less than 2 hours, but that was several years ago. I have less stressful options getting us home later, but would you do it?

While technically possible if everything goes right, I would look for a longer connection.

brp Apr 16, 16 8:32 pm


Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 26492482)
I wonder what the purpose of this is:

b) the security check could be done at the lounge (if they still do this?) or gate

But in general it would seem to be quicker to ignore this precheck and go straight to the lounge/gate?

They no longer ask questions at the lounge. But, since the expect people to be corralled and asked in the little room, we skipped that (thinking we could do it at the lounge) and ended up doing it at the gate in about 30 seconds since others had already been to the "room."

In future we will skip the room and do it at the gate.


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 26492616)


Remember the shopping mall with an airport operation we call London-Heathrow? If people went straight to the gate (or even perhaps the lounges), would they tend to spend more or less money at the airport concessions?

The new location of the Flight Connections entry point drops at the end of the gauntlet of shops- right at the hallway leading to the lounges...so it is no longer necessary to brave that element at T3 :)


Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 26495212)
AA has this weird overkill at LHR, which they don't do just about anywhere else. Nevertheless, for smoothest experience you should follow the process they have set up. If you skip it, inadvertently or not, all of that stuff can and will be done at other points as you mention. Gate is the last option, but of course delaying that far can slow down your boarding.

It's possible that it could, but I'm willing to take that chance. On one trip we were not able to get the onward BPs, so had to stop in the Very Slow Room. The next time we had them and bypassed. Very quick at the gate. I would do that again.

Cheers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:56 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.