Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 27, 19, 8:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers donít enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.
NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

NOTE: Some BA flights have moved. E.g.: On 30 June 2015 all British Airways flights that previously operated out of Terminal 1 switched to either Terminal 3 or Terminal 5. Others have changed to or from T-3 as well. See:

Link to LHR "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is comprised of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, JJ, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA and IB use Terminal 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals (or with most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £4.50 per person one way, £8 return). You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's cconfines. See here

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3Ė>T5 see posts 674, 675.
1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.
NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:
1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.
[quote]Lounges: [Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges, so itíd be unusual to be allowed to return to use them if youíre connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 5.

[B]Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways First and Club / Business lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Lounge (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Class Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounge T5B Satellite
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
British Airways Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here./quote]

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Heathrow Connect costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from Central T-2/3 station (which you get to via free HEX).
This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 14, 16, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BAW18 View Post
I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks
If you are flying onward to Zagreb on BA, you won't have to collect your bags at LHR as they will be checked through. All you will need to do is follow flight connections and go through transit security. If you fly AA from JFK-LHR you will have the added time of a bus transfer from T3 to T5, but 1hr 55 minutes is well above the minimum connection time and should be fine.
Old Apr 14, 16, 10:46 am

it should be enoughg time.

Assuming you buy the ticket all on one itinerary, you will not need to reclaim your luggage. You should be able to just check it all the way through to Zagreb. All you'll lneed to do in LHR is go through security and take the bus to T5. 1:55 is doable if the first flight is on time. Again, you will not need to reclaim your luggage - they should be able to check it all the way through from JFK, and you'll pick up your luggage in Zagreb.

Originally Posted by BAW18 View Post
I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 16, 11:22 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
T3-T5 - no fun but possible, just be in a I gotta move state of mind. I've seen lots of people with short connections skip along all chatty then sweat while running - especially if you are at midfield T5 and need another train ride to get there.
Old Apr 14, 16, 12:25 pm

Actually It is not a single ticket. I am flying LHR - ZAG on a avois ticket seperately. Sounds like I may need to hotel overnight to be on the safe side!
Old Apr 14, 16, 12:49 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Even if you are on 2 separate tickets AA will be able to check the baggage through - in the worst case they will manually add the LHR-ZAG segment to your SABRE record to be able to print the baggage tag. If you fly JFK-LHR with BA beware that BA is changing the check-in system to Altea FLY - there is a thread on BA forum - double check to ensue they can add the segment manually in Altea. If JFK is still on IBM CORECOM/BABS it is for sure possible for add the connection manually.
Old Apr 15, 16, 5:59 am

Hi folks,

Coming in from ARN to LHR T5 and have "short" connection to T3 and AA.
What, if anything, can I try to get from the BA staff onboard to get through Fast Track?

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" so I just figured I'd as whats it called (have heard about some pink envelope)..
Old Apr 15, 16, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Original Geek View Post
Hi folks,

What, if anything, can I try to get from the BA staff onboard to get through Fast Track?

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" so I just figured I'd as whats it called (have heard about some pink envelope)..
The only fast track lane you would encounter would be the security lane in flight connections at T3, and you could get it by status or cabin. I don't think there is anything you could get from the crew.

You won't need to go through to immigration on your connection as long as you take the airside connection route. There is more information which may be of help in the connection guide linked to in my signature.
Old Apr 15, 16, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Original Geek View Post
Hi folks,

If your inbound is late or for some other reason the connection is a tight one then there will be a couple of guys waiting at the end of the jetbridge. The staff on board can't really help except for maybe moving you forward just before landing.
Old Apr 15, 16, 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The only fast track lane you would encounter would be the security lane in flight connections at T3, and you could get it by status or cabin. I don't think there is anything you could get from the crew.

You won't need to go through to immigration on your connection as long as you take the airside connection route. There is more information which may be of help in the connection guide linked to in my signature.
On this route, doing the transit landside -- which means clearing UK immigration/passport control (and even customs, unlikely as that is to have an impact given arrival from an EU airport) -- is a recipe for missing connecting flights that are already cutting it rather close to the MCT for T5-T3 transfers.

Does the T3 flight connections security currently have a fast track security screening lane like it does for those originating trips landside at LHR T3? I know that there have been times when I've seen no such signs when doing T3 flight connections screening after coming in from flights that brought me into T5. Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough there sometimes.
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Does the T3 flight connections security currently have a fast track security screening lane like it does for those originating trips landside at LHR T3? I know that there have been times when I've seen no such signs when doing T3 flight connections screening after coming in from flights that brought me into T5. Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough there sometimes.
Yes. Recently (not sure how long ago) the location of the Flight Connections entry location for T3 was moved quite a ways from the old location. In addition to moving, they've made it somewhat more like T5 in that they require a BP (used to be no BP check going into T3) and added a Fast Track lane for elites and premium cabins, just like T5. It is on the far left as you enter the space.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Yes. Recently (not sure how long ago) the location of the Flight Connections entry location for T3 was moved quite a ways from the old location. In addition to moving, they've made it somewhat more like T5 in that they require a BP (used to be no BP check going into T3) and added a Fast Track lane for elites and premium cabins, just like T5. It is on the far left as you enter the space.

Cheers.
Thanks, as in last year, the scrum there didn't help with visibility.
Old Apr 15, 16, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post

Cheers.
I've found that the T3 Fast Track not that "Fast" at all. The last 3 times I've went through it, the regular security lines moved much quicker. Could have just been situational, but since there's only one scanner for Fast Track, it sometimes clogs up when they have 3-4 scanners open for the regular security.
Old Apr 15, 16, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Thanks, as in last year, the scrum there didn't help with visibility.
Depending on when you went last year you might have been in the old T3 FCC or the new one. It moved around April/May time (I think) last year. However in both cases there was/is a fast track security lane on the left hand side.
Old Apr 15, 16, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Transfer to AA at T3

On a recent BA to BA transfer at T3 I walked past a room on the left that people with transfers to AA were being urged to use. What is the purpose? Does one need to go in there if you already have an onward BP?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: