FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

wrp96 Apr 14, 16 10:46 am


Originally Posted by BAW18 (Post 26484809)
I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks

If you are flying onward to Zagreb on BA, you won't have to collect your bags at LHR as they will be checked through. All you will need to do is follow flight connections and go through transit security. If you fly AA from JFK-LHR you will have the added time of a bus transfer from T3 to T5, but 1hr 55 minutes is well above the minimum connection time and should be fine.

jasondc Apr 14, 16 10:46 am

it should be enoughg time.
 
Assuming you buy the ticket all on one itinerary, you will not need to reclaim your luggage. You should be able to just check it all the way through to Zagreb. All you'll lneed to do in LHR is go through security and take the bus to T5. 1:55 is doable if the first flight is on time. Again, you will not need to reclaim your luggage - they should be able to check it all the way through from JFK, and you'll pick up your luggage in Zagreb.


Originally Posted by BAW18 (Post 26484809)
I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks


7Continents Apr 14, 16 11:22 am

T3-T5 - no fun but possible, just be in a I gotta move state of mind. I've seen lots of people with short connections skip along all chatty then sweat while running - especially if you are at midfield T5 and need another train ride to get there.

BAW18 Apr 14, 16 12:25 pm

Actually It is not a single ticket. I am flying LHR - ZAG on a avois ticket seperately. Sounds like I may need to hotel overnight to be on the safe side!

TPJ Apr 14, 16 12:49 pm

Even if you are on 2 separate tickets AA will be able to check the baggage through - in the worst case they will manually add the LHR-ZAG segment to your SABRE record to be able to print the baggage tag. If you fly JFK-LHR with BA beware that BA is changing the check-in system to Altea FLY - there is a thread on BA forum - double check to ensue they can add the segment manually in Altea. If JFK is still on IBM CORECOM/BABS it is for sure possible for add the connection manually.

The Original Geek Apr 15, 16 5:59 am

Hi folks,

Coming in from ARN to LHR T5 and have "short" connection to T3 and AA.
What, if anything, can I try to get from the BA staff onboard to get through Fast Track?

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" so I just figured I'd as whats it called (have heard about some pink envelope)..

KARFA Apr 15, 16 6:04 am


Originally Posted by The Original Geek (Post 26488609)
Hi folks,

Coming in from ARN to LHR T5 and have "short" connection to T3 and AA.
What, if anything, can I try to get from the BA staff onboard to get through Fast Track?

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" so I just figured I'd as whats it called (have heard about some pink envelope)..

The only fast track lane you would encounter would be the security lane in flight connections at T3, and you could get it by status or cabin. I don't think there is anything you could get from the crew.

You won't need to go through to immigration on your connection as long as you take the airside connection route. There is more information which may be of help in the connection guide linked to in my signature.

Steve_ZA Apr 15, 16 6:05 am


Originally Posted by The Original Geek (Post 26488609)
Hi folks,

Coming in from ARN to LHR T5 and have "short" connection to T3 and AA.
What, if anything, can I try to get from the BA staff onboard to get through Fast Track?

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" so I just figured I'd as whats it called (have heard about some pink envelope)..

If your inbound is late or for some other reason the connection is a tight one then there will be a couple of guys waiting at the end of the jetbridge. The staff on board can't really help except for maybe moving you forward just before landing.

The Original Geek Apr 15, 16 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

GUWonder Apr 15, 16 1:12 pm


Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26488632)
The only fast track lane you would encounter would be the security lane in flight connections at T3, and you could get it by status or cabin. I don't think there is anything you could get from the crew.

You won't need to go through to immigration on your connection as long as you take the airside connection route. There is more information which may be of help in the connection guide linked to in my signature.

On this route, doing the transit landside -- which means clearing UK immigration/passport control (and even customs, unlikely as that is to have an impact given arrival from an EU airport) -- is a recipe for missing connecting flights that are already cutting it rather close to the MCT for T5-T3 transfers.

Does the T3 flight connections security currently have a fast track security screening lane like it does for those originating trips landside at LHR T3? I know that there have been times when I've seen no such signs when doing T3 flight connections screening after coming in from flights that brought me into T5. Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough there sometimes.

brp Apr 15, 16 1:25 pm


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 26490463)

Does the T3 flight connections security currently have a fast track security screening lane like it does for those originating trips landside at LHR T3? I know that there have been times when I've seen no such signs when doing T3 flight connections screening after coming in from flights that brought me into T5. Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough there sometimes.

Yes. Recently (not sure how long ago) the location of the Flight Connections entry location for T3 was moved quite a ways from the old location. In addition to moving, they've made it somewhat more like T5 in that they require a BP (used to be no BP check going into T3) and added a Fast Track lane for elites and premium cabins, just like T5. It is on the far left as you enter the space.

Cheers.

GUWonder Apr 15, 16 1:54 pm


Originally Posted by brp (Post 26490506)
Yes. Recently (not sure how long ago) the location of the Flight Connections entry location for T3 was moved quite a ways from the old location. In addition to moving, they've made it somewhat more like T5 in that they require a BP (used to be no BP check going into T3) and added a Fast Track lane for elites and premium cabins, just like T5. It is on the far left as you enter the space.

Cheers.

Thanks, as in last year, the scrum there didn't help with visibility.

econometrics Apr 15, 16 3:19 pm


Originally Posted by brp (Post 26490506)
Yes. Recently (not sure how long ago) the location of the Flight Connections entry location for T3 was moved quite a ways from the old location. In addition to moving, they've made it somewhat more like T5 in that they require a BP (used to be no BP check going into T3) and added a Fast Track lane for elites and premium cabins, just like T5. It is on the far left as you enter the space.

Cheers.

I've found that the T3 Fast Track not that "Fast" at all. The last 3 times I've went through it, the regular security lines moved much quicker. Could have just been situational, but since there's only one scanner for Fast Track, it sometimes clogs up when they have 3-4 scanners open for the regular security.

KARFA Apr 15, 16 3:20 pm


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 26490621)
Thanks, as in last year, the scrum there didn't help with visibility.

Depending on when you went last year you might have been in the old T3 FCC or the new one. It moved around April/May time (I think) last year. However in both cases there was/is a fast track security lane on the left hand side.

nbevan Apr 15, 16 11:42 pm

Transfer to AA at T3
 
On a recent BA to BA transfer at T3 I walked past a room on the left that people with transfers to AA were being urged to use. What is the purpose? Does one need to go in there if you already have an onward BP?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:46 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.