Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 27, 19, 8:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers donít enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.
NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

NOTE: Some BA flights have moved. E.g.: On 30 June 2015 all British Airways flights that previously operated out of Terminal 1 switched to either Terminal 3 or Terminal 5. Others have changed to or from T-3 as well. See:

Link to LHR "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is comprised of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, JJ, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA and IB use Terminal 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals (or with most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £4.50 per person one way, £8 return). You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's cconfines. See here

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3Ė>T5 see posts 674, 675.
1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.
NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:
1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.
[quote]Lounges: [Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges, so itíd be unusual to be allowed to return to use them if youíre connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 5.

[B]Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways First and Club / Business lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Lounge (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Class Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounge T5B Satellite
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
British Airways Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here./quote]

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Heathrow Connect costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from Central T-2/3 station (which you get to via free HEX).
This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 9, 16, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
I know I caused confusion about going around T3 and T5. I'd read about shopping at Heathrow so in my mind the airport was like a giant mall with concourses and gates. I now understand that's not the case.
To be fair Heathrow does feel like a giant mall. It's just some parts of this mall is not easily accessible from other parts.

Is it the difference of our US airports with Concourses as opposed to Heathrow with Terminals?
Not really. There are plenty of US airports with similar level of inaccessibility between their airside sections. Atlanta is an exception rather than a rule among the super busy airports.
Old Apr 10, 16, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

In the US: LAX has multiple terminals that aren't connected airside.
LAX's terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and TBIT are now connected airside.
Old Apr 10, 16, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
LAX's terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and TBIT are now connected airside.

Yes, I am aware of that fact. But AFAIK terminals 1,2,3 and TBIT are not connected airside. Hence, as my post said "multiple terminals at LAX are not connected airside."
Old Apr 10, 16, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post

Yes, I am aware of that fact. But AFAIK terminals 1,2,3 and TBIT are not connected airside. Hence, as my post said "multiple terminals at LAX are not connected airside."
Then I wasn't contradicting you
Old Apr 10, 16, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
Oh dear, I seem to have opened a new can of worms
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:20 pm

Is is possible to make a connection in LHR from BA coming from Chicago with only a 1 hour layover to an AA flight to Pisa?
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
Is is possible to make a connection in LHR from BA coming from Chicago with only a 1 hour layover to an AA flight to Pisa?
If you book this as a single ticket, then both flights will be operated by BA (AA does not operate LHR-PSA, and neither AA nor BA would sell you a ticket with a one-hour connection from AA to BA at LHR) and you will be protected if you miss your connection; that is, BA will find some other way to get you there. That said, note that BA operates only one LHR-PSA flight a day, so if you miss it, even though BA will have to find a way to get you there, it may involve taking a bus to LGW or taking another connecting flight to get there.
Old Apr 11, 16, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed, AA86 (BA1543) arrives at 06:35 which gives a 2:10 T3-T5 connection to BA604. BA294 arrives at 07:45, T5-T5.

You can make this connection a bit more comfortable (if you are worried about the short layover) by flying ORD-EWR-LHR instead, although that is a 3 hour layover in Newark.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Apr 11, 16 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 11, 16, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
and neither AA nor BA would sell you a ticket with a one-hour connection from AA to BA at LHR
Actually they will for a T3-T3 connection - remember BA operates several routes from T3. For example:

New York (JFK) to London (LHR) — Wed, May 11
American Airlines Inc. 100
Dep: 6:10 pm
Arr: 6:20 am

Layover in LHR
Thu, May 12
1h 5m

London (LHR) to Marseille (MRS) — Thu, May 12
British Airways 366
Dep: 7:25 am
Arr: 10:20 am

But you're right that they won't sell a T5<->T3 connection of less than 1h30.
Old Apr 13, 16, 6:32 am

Don't know what time it's getting to be where you are. It's now 6:37 p.m. in Michigan.

I do understand the reasoning behind your plan for the SWT ticket and I do understand that I wouldn't be buying it for travel between London and Feltham. That I get.

When I went to buy it online I couldn't find a spot to click to pick up the ticket at Heathrow. That has all been resolved and I'm picking them up at Heathrow. I have now purchased the theatre tickets and the SWT tickets.

We're now planning to have a lovely day in London (current forecast is 62 and partly cloudy) and if it all goes well I can tell my friends how travel savvy I am. I already told my daughter how my flyertalk peeps have helped me out and I now have a new bff's in London. I don't really talk like that all the time, I just like to make my daughter smile and roll her eyes.

I think we saved 30 GBP. Theatre tickets were 37.50 and train tickets were 24.20. Without the 241 it would have been 75 and 16.40.

Thank you everyone so much for your gracious help.
It's going along nicely. Got rail tix with no problem. Little late in landing. Got to library 11:45. Now relaxing and absorbing this beautiful day at Vinotecca. Not much need for food after eating twice on plane.
Old Apr 13, 16, 7:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
It's going along nicely. Got rail tix with no problem. Little late in landing. Got to library 11:45. Now relaxing and absorbing this beautiful day at Vinotecca. Not much need for food after eating twice on plane.
It's really turned out to be a lovely day. If I weren't busy this afternoon I may have offered to come buy you a glass of wine! Enjoy the performance and safe travels.
Old Apr 13, 16, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
It's really turned out to be a lovely day. If I weren't busy this afternoon I may have offered to come buy you a glass of wine! Enjoy the performance and safe travels.
It all went as planned. Did 2 crosswords on the tube rides. Play was delightful. Nice introduction to a classic neither of us had heard of. Back at LHR. South lounge. Having yet another bite to eat. Very tired. Tomorrow we'll have lazy morning before picking up car. We have the most beautiful B&B in Susegana. Great food so we'll have to wander the acres of vineyards
Old Apr 13, 16, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Glad it's all gone off well. Enjoy Europe.
Old Apr 13, 16, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Glad it's all gone off well. Enjoy Europe.
Yes it did go well and I want to thank everyone again who so generously offered suggestions. When we walked thru T5 DH was VERY glad he hadn't been trapped there for 11 hours.
Old Apr 14, 16, 10:16 am

JFK - LHR

I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: