FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

muishkin Apr 9, 2016 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl (Post 26462352)
I know I caused confusion about going around T3 and T5. I'd read about shopping at Heathrow so in my mind the airport was like a giant mall with concourses and gates. I now understand that's not the case.

To be fair Heathrow does feel like a giant mall. It's just some parts of this mall is not easily accessible from other parts.

Is it the difference of our US airports with Concourses as opposed to Heathrow with Terminals?
Not really. There are plenty of US airports with similar level of inaccessibility between their airside sections. Atlanta is an exception rather than a rule among the super busy airports.

Calchas Apr 10, 2016 3:10 am

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 26462831)

In the US: LAX has multiple terminals that aren't connected airside.

LAX's terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and TBIT are now connected airside.

bse118 Apr 10, 2016 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 26463543)
LAX's terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and TBIT are now connected airside.

:confused:

Yes, I am aware of that fact. But AFAIK terminals 1,2,3 and TBIT are not connected airside. Hence, as my post said "multiple terminals at LAX are not connected airside."

Calchas Apr 10, 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 26464210)
:confused:

Yes, I am aware of that fact. But AFAIK terminals 1,2,3 and TBIT are not connected airside. Hence, as my post said "multiple terminals at LAX are not connected airside."

Then I wasn't contradicting you :D

gardengirl Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Oh dear, I seem to have opened a new can of worms :rolleyes:

Sacto Apr 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Is is possible to make a connection in LHR from BA coming from Chicago with only a 1 hour layover to an AA flight to Pisa?

Blumie Apr 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sacto (Post 26470817)
Is is possible to make a connection in LHR from BA coming from Chicago with only a 1 hour layover to an AA flight to Pisa?

If you book this as a single ticket, then both flights will be operated by BA (AA does not operate LHR-PSA, and neither AA nor BA would sell you a ticket with a one-hour connection from AA to BA at LHR) and you will be protected if you miss your connection; that is, BA will find some other way to get you there. That said, note that BA operates only one LHR-PSA flight a day, so if you miss it, even though BA will have to find a way to get you there, it may involve taking a bus to LGW or taking another connecting flight to get there.

Steve_ZA Apr 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Indeed, AA86 (BA1543) arrives at 06:35 which gives a 2:10 T3-T5 connection to BA604. BA294 arrives at 07:45, T5-T5.

You can make this connection a bit more comfortable (if you are worried about the short layover) by flying ORD-EWR-LHR instead, although that is a 3 hour layover in Newark.

Ldnn1 Apr 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 26470852)
and neither AA nor BA would sell you a ticket with a one-hour connection from AA to BA at LHR

Actually they will for a T3-T3 connection - remember BA operates several routes from T3. For example:

New York (JFK) to London (LHR) — Wed, May 11
American Airlines Inc. 100
Dep: 6:10 pm
Arr: 6:20 am

Layover in LHR
Thu, May 12
1h 5m

London (LHR) to Marseille (MRS) — Thu, May 12
British Airways 366
Dep: 7:25 am
Arr: 10:20 am

But you're right that they won't sell a T5<->T3 connection of less than 1h30.

gardengirl Apr 13, 2016 6:32 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl (Post 26462097)
Don't know what time it's getting to be where you are. It's now 6:37 p.m. in Michigan.

I do understand the reasoning behind your plan for the SWT ticket and I do understand that I wouldn't be buying it for travel between London and Feltham. That I get.

When I went to buy it online I couldn't find a spot to click to pick up the ticket at Heathrow. That has all been resolved and I'm picking them up at Heathrow. I have now purchased the theatre tickets and the SWT tickets.

We're now planning to have a lovely day in London (current forecast is 62 and partly cloudy) and if it all goes well I can tell my friends how travel savvy I am. :D I already told my daughter how my flyertalk peeps have helped me out and I now have a new bff's in London. :D I don't really talk like that all the time, I just like to make my daughter smile and roll her eyes.

I think we saved 30 GBP. Theatre tickets were 37.50 and train tickets were 24.20. Without the 241 it would have been 75 and 16.40.

Thank you everyone so much for your gracious help.

It's going along nicely. Got rail tix with no problem. Little late in landing. Got to library 11:45. Now relaxing and absorbing this beautiful day at Vinotecca. Not much need for food after eating twice on plane.

Microwave Apr 13, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl (Post 26478515)
It's going along nicely. Got rail tix with no problem. Little late in landing. Got to library 11:45. Now relaxing and absorbing this beautiful day at Vinotecca. Not much need for food after eating twice on plane.

It's really turned out to be a lovely day. :) If I weren't busy this afternoon I may have offered to come buy you a glass of wine! Enjoy the performance and safe travels.

gardengirl Apr 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26478670)
It's really turned out to be a lovely day. :) If I weren't busy this afternoon I may have offered to come buy you a glass of wine! Enjoy the performance and safe travels.

It all went as planned. Did 2 crosswords on the tube rides. Play was delightful. Nice introduction to a classic neither of us had heard of. Back at LHR. South lounge. Having yet another bite to eat. Very tired. Tomorrow we'll have lazy morning before picking up car. We have the most beautiful B&B in Susegana. Great food so we'll have to wander the acres of vineyards

Microwave Apr 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Glad it's all gone off well. Enjoy Europe. :)

gardengirl Apr 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 26480716)
Glad it's all gone off well. Enjoy Europe. :)

Yes it did go well and I want to thank everyone again who so generously offered suggestions. When we walked thru T5 DH was VERY glad he hadn't been trapped there for 11 hours.

BAW18 Apr 14, 2016 10:16 am

JFK - LHR

I need to make a trip to Zagreb in June, and was looking at both BA and AA into Heathrow early morning from JFK. Question is I have a 1h:55m stop over if the planes arrive on time. Is this enough time to get off the plane, collect my bag and get to T5 check in/security in time?

Thanks