FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

Ldnn1 May 22, 2017 5:20 am

This is very odd. There must be dozens of MIA >> JFK/PHL etc >> LHR connections every day and bags are checked straight through as standard on single tickets. I can't think why the agent wouldn't have done so in this case.

At least your colleague made it that night, albeit with unnecessary hassle.

Was his originally booked JFK-LHR operated by AA or BA? If I were him I'd be tempted to seek EU261 compensation for the 4 hour delay, but it would be a fight given the first flight - the handling for which is really what caused the delay - was AA so a non-European carrier.

3Cforme May 22, 2017 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 28343267)
On this trip, he did have a bag that he checked in at MIA, but was told that he could only check it as far as JFK, where he would have to re-check his bag. Due to slight delays in luggage handling and security, he narrowly missed his flight...

Just guessing at this - there isn't enough detail - I wonder if a schedule change had left him below minimum connect time? Rather than fixing it - offering a later JFK-LHR flight - the agent just refused to check the bag through?

Karl Gustav Annus May 22, 2017 5:48 am

I suppose that this should be an EU261 situation (delay 4 hours, BA is an EU airline, single PNR, so above MCT) If so he should get a 600€ compensation. Probably going to be a hassle though

Cymro May 22, 2017 6:08 am

No schedule changes; a 90-minute connection I believe as originally offered (AA1048 - 3.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. then AA106 - 8.00 p.m. to 8.10 a.m.) Those are the prime codes, but it was on a (not relevant) BA codeshare.

The thought crossed my mind but the BA-operated flight was the last in the chain and on time. The fact that it was BA-ticketed is not relevant; I can see how it is arguable but I don't think it's a strong case.

(I've also clarified the timings - due to the luggage issue, it became a 4.5-hour connection, so a 3h delay on taking off, which became a 2h 33 min delay on landing, so nothing payable even if it is within scope of the regulation).

Dave Noble May 22, 2017 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus (Post 28343566)
I suppose that this should be an EU261 situation (delay 4 hours, BA is an EU airline, single PNR, so above MCT) If so he should get a 600€ compensation. Probably going to be a hassle though

The issue for the flight that the passenger was delayed on was due to not getting bags checked in on time -> no compensation

The flight to JFK is outside of the remit of EC261

Karl Gustav Annus May 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28343640)
The issue for the flight that the passenger was delayed on was due to not getting bags checked in on time -> no compensation

The flight to JFK is outside of the remit of EC261

As I understood, the passenger was on time checking in (in MIA) and it was completely appropriate for the passenger to think that the bags will be checked through. So I would argue that the pax was in the check-in on time, it was the airlines fault that they didn't manage to interline luggage.
So the passenger was delayed because of the airline. And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight. And the delay wasn't caused by extraordinary circumstances, but because of CI agent not checking the luggage through. So under those circumstances I'm still fairly certain that it would fall under the EU261.

edit: The OP said that the landing was delayed only by 2,5h, so the EU261 is out of the question anyways for this case.

wrp96 May 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus (Post 28345182)
And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight.

The delay was on a JFK bound flight that departed from MIA, flown by AA, a non-EU carrier. EU261 wouldn't apply in any way shape or form. The fact that the passenger was connecting to an EU-bound flight doesn't trigger EU261 compensation. And it wouldn't have mattered if the OP was on BA flight numbers; it's the operating carrier that matters.

Dave Noble May 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus (Post 28345182)
As I understood, the passenger was on time checking in (in MIA) and it was completely appropriate for the passenger to think that the bags will be checked through. So I would argue that the pax was in the check-in on time, it was the airlines fault that they didn't manage to interline luggage.
So the passenger was delayed because of the airline. And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight. And the delay wasn't caused by extraordinary circumstances, but because of CI agent not checking the luggage through. So under those circumstances I'm still fairly certain that it would fall under the EU261.

edit: The OP said that the landing was delayed only by 2,5h, so the EU261 is out of the question anyways for this case.

It doesn't matter what the reason why the airline in Miami chose not to check the passenger through - that flight is outside the remit of EC261

as such the passenger was required to check in in JFK ; not meeting check in times is an exception to compensation requirements

With this being a single ticket, the bags should have been checked through and passenger been ok catching the flight; it may be that some token compensation might be given by AA if the passenger has an AA account

Even so, as mentioned , even if there was entitlement, the delay was too short unless it counted as a cancellation

ckd38 May 24, 2017 8:36 am

I realize this is not the appropriate thread but figured there's someone that could help me out. I have a 6 hour layover in T5 from BA to BA. Is it possible to transfer from T5 to T3 to use the CX lounge and then return to T5 for my flight?

Ldnn1 May 24, 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ckd38 (Post 28353505)
I realize this is not the appropriate thread but figured there's someone that could help me out. I have a 6 hour layover in T5 from BA to BA. Is it possible to transfer from T5 to T3 to use the CX lounge and then return to T5 for my flight?

Yes, it is - I did it a few weeks ago - but it's a hassle. You have to go through security twice, which especially now may take a long time, and the buses take a while too, but it is possible if you so desire. Follow signs for flight connections T3 after you land at T5. You may have to explain to the bus area staff and/or security when they see your BP that you want to use the T3 facilities, as they will see you're departing T5.

After you leave the CX lounge at T3, go towards the end of the lounge corridor (past the BA and AA lounges) and you'll find a door to flight connections back to T5.

Calchas May 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Security theatre at the moment has been stepped up considerably. People doing "unusual" things may be cross examined in some detail.

stifle May 27, 2017 4:36 am

Owing to recent events in the UK this will be looked upon with a great deal of suspicion. Would suggest dropping the idea and sticking with the T5 lounges.

ckd38 May 27, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

nhila Jun 7, 2017 4:10 pm

LAX-MIA-LHR (via AA) & LHR-MAD (via BA) Question(s)

Yeah, I am the bad guy as I booked this 3-leg itinerary for my wife with her +1 to ultimately arrive in Madrid. It is a Business Class ticket.

Question:

Upon arrival in LHR from MIA in the morning via AA metal ... where she has a 3+ hour layover before the LHR-MAD leg via British ... will she be able to use the American Arrivals lounge before going through "security" en route to the BA terminal?

(she will not be checking any bags, FWIW)

Or will she be forced to go through "security" and take a Bus to the BA terminal before she can use the BA lounge?

I am simply trying to give her the best guidance of how to best glide through LHR (Terminals 3 and 5 I presume) while havingthe ability to shower up before traveling thru to MAD.

Hope this question makes sense.

Thank you ...

OskiBear Jun 7, 2017 4:28 pm

According to the LHR maps, the Arrivals Lounge is outside of the secure area. So, it would seem that she needs to "arrive" to the UK and exit before she's able to access it. Then she would have to connect landside to T5 to make her LHR-MAD flight.

If she stayed airside and connected on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there.

Ldnn1 Jun 7, 2017 4:52 pm

She can do either, but it will be simpler to just go to T5 airside and shower in one of the BA lounges there. They aren't amazing but they do the job fine.

To use the AA lounge, she will need to go through immigration at T3, which if she is a non-EU citizen can take a while, even with Fast Track. She would then get either the Heathrow Express or the Tube to T5, which run at 15m and 10m intervals respectively. Both are free, but she'd need a contactless credit/debit card or oyster card for the Tube.

carlosdca Jun 7, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by nhila (Post 28416180)
Question:

Upon arrival in LHR from MIA in the morning via AA metal ... where she has a 3+ hour layover before the LHR-MAD leg via British ... will she be able to use the American Arrivals lounge before going through "security" en route to the BA terminal?

(she will not be checking any bags, FWIW)

Or will she be forced to go through "security" and take a Bus to the BA terminal before she can use the BA lounge?

When she arrives in LHR she can go through immigration (which can take a long time) and then to the AA arrivals lounge.
The AA lounge is nothing fancy or exceptional to force a stop there, IMO.

She'd be better off just taking the bus T3-T5 as soon as shelands, clear security at T5 and then head to the T5 BA lounges that have showers, food, drinks, etc, etc. The T5 BA lounges are far superior than the AA arrival lounge, IMO.

ccengct Jun 8, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 28416362)
The T5 BA lounges are far superior than the AA arrival lounge, IMO.

I concur so long as the T5 BA lounges are not full of people. Sometimes they are. But the same can be said of the T3 AA arrivals lounge in the early morning.

nhila Jun 8, 2017 9:40 am

Thank you to the last four posters for clear guidance ... I will advise my wife to simply take the "Fast Pass/ Fast Track" paper they give on AA, go through that Lane, and to stay "airside and connect on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there."

KARFA Jun 8, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by nhila (Post 28418723)
Thank you to the last four posters for clear guidance ... I will advise my wife to simply take the "Fast Pass/ Fast Track" paper they give on AA, go through that Lane, and to stay "airside and connect on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there."

To get the airside buses at T3 there is no fast track - everyone queues together. Basically follow the purple signs for flight connections T5.

On arriving at T5 and going up the escalator head to the far right lane which is fast track for INT-INT connections, then follow the fast track marked esclators up to north security.

On coming out of security there is a GC lounge to the left and there are some showers in there. Otherwise head to the south lounge complex (downstairs after security and to the other end of the terminal then back up one floor, and there are showers in the elemis spa marked area off the lobby between the GF and CCR lounges.

Blumie Jun 8, 2017 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by nhila (Post 28418723)

The fast track pass that AA will give her is worthless if she stays airside (although I agree that's what she ought to do). After taking the flight transfers bus from T3 to T5, she can use the fast track lane (on the far right) at T5 security if she is flying J on her connection to MAD. Access to that lane is determined solely by class of travel as shown on the boarding pass, not by having a separate paper pass.

After clearing security, advise your wife to turn left, walk to and descend the escalator, and at the bottom of the escalator make a u-turn and double back to the escalators that will take her back up to the BA south lounge.

KARFA Jun 9, 2017 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 28421250)
The fast track pass that AA will give her is worthless if she stays airside (although I agree that's what she ought to do). After taking the flight transfers bus from T3 to T5, she can use the fast track lane (on the far right) at T5 security if she is flying J on her connection to MAD. Access to that lane is determined solely by class of travel as shown on the boarding pass, not by having a separate paper pass.

After clearing security, advise your wife to turn left, walk to and descend the escalator, and at the bottom of the escalator make a u-turn and double back to the escalators that will take her back up to the BA south lounge.

Access to the fast track lane in T5 FCC is also by OW status, it isn't solely determined by cabin.

Acid Jul 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by britz (Post 28275998)
It sounds like you want to head to the T3 lounge before heading to T5 - if that's correct just follow signs to T3 connections. You'll re-clear security (and inevitably be reminded your connection is in T5- just tell them you are going to the T3 lounge before going to T5). When you are ready to go to T5 there are signs for connections to T5. You'll more or less go to the same place you were before re-clearing T3 security. You won't have to go through immigration anywhere during the process but you will have to re-clear security entering T3 and again at T5.

It's a hassle but galleries F is awful for food and if you're wanting a bit to eat, the CX F lounge is pretty good comparatively.

I have this scenario - arriving T3 and onward from T5 with a 4 hr halt. I would love to use CX lounge. Is there any conformance time restrictions? i.e. BA BP as to be scanned in T5 by any time?

wrp96 Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Acid (Post 28543542)
I have this scenario - arriving T3 and onward from T5 with a 4 hr halt. I would love to use CX lounge. Is there any conformance time restrictions? i.e. BA BP as to be scanned in T5 by any time?

Yes. Your BA BP must be scanned into T5 no later than 35 minutes before your onward flight.

Acid Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 28543549)
Yes. Your BA BP must be scanned into T5 no later than 35 minutes before your onward flight.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll plan accordingly.

econometrics Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28421547)
Access to the fast track lane in T5 FCC is also by OW status, it isn't solely determined by cabin.

On this note, I will say that in T3 arrivals, I had to almost argue with the LHR agent to let me use Fast Track with my OWE status recently. She was claiming you could ONLY use it if you had an invitation from the crew on your flight.

She said they are more lenient at T5 (which is true, they always let OWE through), but at T3 they are more strict. Odd.

KARFA Jul 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 28543592)
On this note, I will say that in T3 arrivals, I had to almost argue with the LHR agent to let me use Fast Track with my OWE status recently. She was claiming you could ONLY use it if you had an invitation from the crew on your flight.

She said they are more lenient at T5 (which is true, they always let OWE through), but at T3 they are more strict. Odd.

She was correct. It is by invitation only at T3 and your cabin crew should have given you one. The invitation references the airline and it is the airline who pays.

At T5 there is only one airline really which is BA (apart from a few IB flights). Not too hard to work out who is paying for the passenger there.

Fast track at T5 flight connections is completely different to the immigration queues, and no invitaiton is needed for fast track connections either at T3 or T5. Your access is determined by your status or cabin for the departing flight.

econometrics Jul 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28543604)
She was correct. It is by invitation only at T3 and your cabin crew should have given you one. The invitation references the airline and it is the airline who pays.

At T5 there is only one airline really which is BA (apart from a few IB flights). Not too hard to work out who is paying for the passenger there.

Never knew the airline had to pay for FT access. Interesting. Thanks! ^

trekker954 Aug 1, 2017 1:00 pm

Can I use BA T5 lounge if my family of four all arrived on a AA Business Class from the US, but connecting BA is in coach?

I'm EXP, but my 3 adult children have no status. . Have long layover and want to avoid leaving airside.

econometrics Aug 1, 2017 1:04 pm

Delete.

wrp96 Aug 1, 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by trekker954 (Post 28635109)
Can I use BA T5 lounge if my family of four all arrived on a AA Business Class from the US, but connecting BA is in coach?

I'm EXP, but my 3 adult children have no status. . Have long layover and want to avoid leaving airside.

Yes into Galleries Club, just show your arriving business class boarding passes.

Flyiboy Aug 1, 2017 1:19 pm

Per BA website ..
The lounges are available for passengers who are:
  • flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First, Club World or Club Europe
  • a Silver or Gold Member of the British Airways Executive Club on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
  • a Sapphire or Emerald member of any of the oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
  • over the age of 18 years, or if under 18 years you are accompanied by a responsible adult. (Local laws relating to the consumption of alcohol will apply.)
All lounge access is subject to capacity

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...siness-lounges

Flyiboy Aug 1, 2017 1:24 pm

Per oneWorld
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...access/LHR/808

Acid Aug 1, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by trekker954 (Post 28635109)

If you have a long layover, do consider going airside, with fast track it could be quick - the AA Arrivals lounge is much better than BA T5 galleries (clean showers and much better breakfast)

ijgordon Aug 2, 2017 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Acid (Post 28635853)
If you have a long layover, do consider going airside, with fast track it could be quick - the AA Arrivals lounge is much better than BA T5 galleries (clean showers and much better breakfast)

Agreed, AA Arrivals lounge is pretty nice and will probably be quiet. And they have minis of Moet!

I think you can probably leave the Arrivals lounge 60-75 minutes before your T5 departure and take the Heathrow Express over (and ideally you'd know the HEX schedules in advance; I think it's every 15 minutes)

I probably wouldn't bother to do this on anything less than a ~3 hour layover though, maybe 2.5h.

JBauer Aug 2, 2017 3:56 pm

LAX to LHR on AA as a CK

I appreciate any help with this, flying with my wife as a concierge key from Los Angeles to London on American Airlines metal in October. Coach but hopefully SWU clear for us.

We have a separate BA ticket onward to Paris. Layover 4.5 hours ( there is one option for a two hour layover but I imagine we will not make the connection?).

what's our best strategy in using lounges, as a concierge key member? Seems several options. I suppose a question is, if I'm CK can I use admirals club lounge after arrival while waiting in BA flight on separate ticket? And which lounge makes sense for 4 hours?

thanks.

Acid Aug 2, 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 28640516)
I appreciate any help with this, flying with my wife as a concierge key from Los Angeles to London on American Airlines metal in October. Coach but hopefully SWU clear for us.

We have a separate BA ticket onward to Paris. Layover 4.5 hours ( there is one option for a two hour layover but I imagine we will not make the connection?).

what's our best strategy in using lounges, as a concierge key member? Seems several options. I suppose a question is, if I'm CK can I use admirals club lounge after arrival while waiting in BA flight on separate ticket? And which lounge makes sense for 4 hours?

thanks.

I have a T3-T5 connection in Sept and will try to use the CX F lounge in T3 before heading over to T5 for my BA flight. Have to clear security twice but transfer security is usually quick. CX F lounge will be the best option.

SeattleDavid Aug 3, 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Acid (Post 28640609)
I have a T3-T5 connection in Sept and will try to use the CX F lounge in T3 before heading over to T5 for my BA flight. Have to clear security twice but transfer security is usually quick. CX F lounge will be the best option.

As I understand it you cannot access T3 departures (where the CX lounge is) unless you are actually departing T3. If you are departing from T5 you only have the AA Arrivals lounge (landside) or the BA lounges in T5 as your choice.

Acid Aug 3, 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 28643086)
As I understand it you cannot access T3 departures (where the CX lounge is) unless you are actually departing T3. If you are departing from T5 you only have the AA Arrivals lounge (landside) or the BA lounges in T5 as your choice.

Check few posts above - I used to think the same but it seems this is possible. Im going to try it out myself next month

wrp96 Aug 3, 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 28640516)

thanks.

Will you have checked bags? If so, the issue will be you will have to clear immigration at T3, collect your bags, make your way over to T5 and recheck them. You will have arrivals lounge access at T3, but I don't know if guests are allowed into the Arrivals Lounge if your wife's SWU doesn't clear. No matter what, at T5, you would have access to the Galleries First Lounge (also the Galleries Club lounges).

If you don't have checked bags, you could try to stay in T3 as mentioned above until it's time to head over to T5. If you do that I would skip the Admiral's Club and head straight to the CX First Class Lounge (you'd also have access to the BA Galleries First Lounge but CX is miles ahead of both the AA and BA lounges).

No matter what, you need to make sure you clear security at T5 no later than 35 minutes before your scheduled departure or you will be offloaded from your flight to Paris.