Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: TK*G, AB G ;), HH D
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The issue for the flight that the passenger was delayed on was due to not getting bags checked in on time -> no compensation

The flight to JFK is outside of the remit of EC261
As I understood, the passenger was on time checking in (in MIA) and it was completely appropriate for the passenger to think that the bags will be checked through. So I would argue that the pax was in the check-in on time, it was the airlines fault that they didn't manage to interline luggage.
So the passenger was delayed because of the airline. And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight. And the delay wasn't caused by extraordinary circumstances, but because of CI agent not checking the luggage through. So under those circumstances I'm still fairly certain that it would fall under the EU261.

edit: The OP said that the landing was delayed only by 2,5h, so the EU261 is out of the question anyways for this case.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus
And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight.
The delay was on a JFK bound flight that departed from MIA, flown by AA, a non-EU carrier. EU261 wouldn't apply in any way shape or form. The fact that the passenger was connecting to an EU-bound flight doesn't trigger EU261 compensation. And it wouldn't have mattered if the OP was on BA flight numbers; it's the operating carrier that matters.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus
As I understood, the passenger was on time checking in (in MIA) and it was completely appropriate for the passenger to think that the bags will be checked through. So I would argue that the pax was in the check-in on time, it was the airlines fault that they didn't manage to interline luggage.
So the passenger was delayed because of the airline. And the pax got delayed on eu-bound flight. And the delay wasn't caused by extraordinary circumstances, but because of CI agent not checking the luggage through. So under those circumstances I'm still fairly certain that it would fall under the EU261.

edit: The OP said that the landing was delayed only by 2,5h, so the EU261 is out of the question anyways for this case.
It doesn't matter what the reason why the airline in Miami chose not to check the passenger through - that flight is outside the remit of EC261

as such the passenger was required to check in in JFK ; not meeting check in times is an exception to compensation requirements

With this being a single ticket, the bags should have been checked through and passenger been ok catching the flight; it may be that some token compensation might be given by AA if the passenger has an AA account

Even so, as mentioned , even if there was entitlement, the delay was too short unless it counted as a cancellation

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 22, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 8:36 am

I realize this is not the appropriate thread but figured there's someone that could help me out. I have a 6 hour layover in T5 from BA to BA. Is it possible to transfer from T5 to T3 to use the CX lounge and then return to T5 for my flight?
Old May 24, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ckd38
I realize this is not the appropriate thread but figured there's someone that could help me out. I have a 6 hour layover in T5 from BA to BA. Is it possible to transfer from T5 to T3 to use the CX lounge and then return to T5 for my flight?
Yes, it is - I did it a few weeks ago - but it's a hassle. You have to go through security twice, which especially now may take a long time, and the buses take a while too, but it is possible if you so desire. Follow signs for flight connections T3 after you land at T5. You may have to explain to the bus area staff and/or security when they see your BP that you want to use the T3 facilities, as they will see you're departing T5.

After you leave the CX lounge at T3, go towards the end of the lounge corridor (past the BA and AA lounges) and you'll find a door to flight connections back to T5.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Security theatre at the moment has been stepped up considerably. People doing "unusual" things may be cross examined in some detail.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Owing to recent events in the UK this will be looked upon with a great deal of suspicion. Would suggest dropping the idea and sticking with the T5 lounges.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:10 pm

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
LAX-MIA-LHR (via AA) & LHR-MAD (via BA) Question(s)

Yeah, I am the bad guy as I booked this 3-leg itinerary for my wife with her +1 to ultimately arrive in Madrid. It is a Business Class ticket.

Question:

Upon arrival in LHR from MIA in the morning via AA metal ... where she has a 3+ hour layover before the LHR-MAD leg via British ... will she be able to use the American Arrivals lounge before going through "security" en route to the BA terminal?

(she will not be checking any bags, FWIW)

Or will she be forced to go through "security" and take a Bus to the BA terminal before she can use the BA lounge?

I am simply trying to give her the best guidance of how to best glide through LHR (Terminals 3 and 5 I presume) while havingthe ability to shower up before traveling thru to MAD.

Hope this question makes sense.

Thank you ...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
According to the LHR maps, the Arrivals Lounge is outside of the secure area. So, it would seem that she needs to "arrive" to the UK and exit before she's able to access it. Then she would have to connect landside to T5 to make her LHR-MAD flight.

If she stayed airside and connected on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:52 pm

She can do either, but it will be simpler to just go to T5 airside and shower in one of the BA lounges there. They aren't amazing but they do the job fine.

To use the AA lounge, she will need to go through immigration at T3, which if she is a non-EU citizen can take a while, even with Fast Track. She would then get either the Heathrow Express or the Tube to T5, which run at 15m and 10m intervals respectively. Both are free, but she'd need a contactless credit/debit card or oyster card for the Tube.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by nhila
Question:

Upon arrival in LHR from MIA in the morning via AA metal ... where she has a 3+ hour layover before the LHR-MAD leg via British ... will she be able to use the American Arrivals lounge before going through "security" en route to the BA terminal?

(she will not be checking any bags, FWIW)

Or will she be forced to go through "security" and take a Bus to the BA terminal before she can use the BA lounge?
When she arrives in LHR she can go through immigration (which can take a long time) and then to the AA arrivals lounge.
The AA lounge is nothing fancy or exceptional to force a stop there, IMO.

She'd be better off just taking the bus T3-T5 as soon as shelands, clear security at T5 and then head to the T5 BA lounges that have showers, food, drinks, etc, etc. The T5 BA lounges are far superior than the AA arrival lounge, IMO.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by carlosdca
The T5 BA lounges are far superior than the AA arrival lounge, IMO.
I concur so long as the T5 BA lounges are not full of people. Sometimes they are. But the same can be said of the T3 AA arrivals lounge in the early morning.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:40 am

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Thank you to the last four posters for clear guidance ... I will advise my wife to simply take the "Fast Pass/ Fast Track" paper they give on AA, go through that Lane, and to stay "airside and connect on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there."
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nhila
Thank you to the last four posters for clear guidance ... I will advise my wife to simply take the "Fast Pass/ Fast Track" paper they give on AA, go through that Lane, and to stay "airside and connect on the bus to T5 from T3, she would just need to do a basic security check at T5. She can then go to the BA lounge and shower there."
To get the airside buses at T3 there is no fast track - everyone queues together. Basically follow the purple signs for flight connections T5.

On arriving at T5 and going up the escalator head to the far right lane which is fast track for INT-INT connections, then follow the fast track marked esclators up to north security.

On coming out of security there is a GC lounge to the left and there are some showers in there. Otherwise head to the south lounge complex (downstairs after security and to the other end of the terminal then back up one floor, and there are showers in the elemis spa marked area off the lobby between the GF and CCR lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.