Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming AAdvantage miles for car rental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold

Do any of my fellow Flyertalk members have any experience using the AA partnership with Rocket for car rentals using AA miles? (Yes, I know the redemption rate is terrible!) I saved miles for travel to AKL and have had no luck using miles for reward flights. I would like to use some AA miles for our car rental in an effort to make this expensive trip less painful. I don't like to use a third part like Rocket, but there appears to be no other option when using AA miles. I would really appreciate any experiences or info you have. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: Mileageplus
I have the same request as I want to use AA miles for a car rental at Christmas. Maybe I am not searching hard enough but hopefully another FT user has some experience they can share on this topic.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sweetone
Do any of my fellow Flyertalk members have any experience using the AA partnership with Rocket for car rentals using AA miles? (Yes, I know the redemption rate is terrible!) I saved miles for travel to AKL and have had no luck using miles for reward flights. I would like to use some AA miles for our car rental in an effort to make this expensive trip less painful. I don't like to use a third part like Rocket, but there appears to be no other option when using AA miles. I would really appreciate any experiences or info you have. Thanks.

I am little late to this but I’ve used for last two personal trips when car rentals have been insanely expensive.

The first time was ok through budget. I waited on line briefly, got an adequate car and went on my way. Note that I ended my trip early but because it was “prepaid “ basically ate it.

The second time, is now and I’m on the Thrifty line (best deal) and there are a solid 30 people on line. But because I prepaid, I’m not inclined to bail for a full rate one and dispute the mileage deduction.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by pony_trekker
I am little late to this but I’ve used for last two personal trips when car rentals have been insanely expensive.

The first time was ok through budget. I waited on line briefly, got an adequate car and went on my way. Note that I ended my trip early but because it was “prepaid “ basically ate it.

The second time, is now and I’m on the Thrifty line (best deal) and there are a solid 30 people on line. But because I prepaid, I’m not inclined to bail for a full rate one and dispute the mileage deduction.
Final note, using the mileage is seamless but it is worth it to use a few extra and go with Budget or Avis over Thrifty.

Hour wait got me a Kia with 65k. Probably would have been better off spending an extra 3k miles for the week to go with Budget but whatevs.

As far as actual miles, we are talking 19k miles for a week for a rental that otherwise would have been $1k.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pony_trekker
Final note, using the mileage is seamless but it is worth it to use a few extra and go with Budget or Avis over Thrifty.
Do they let you enter or otherwise provide your car rental loyalty program number to skip the line and go straight to an assigned car or to an aisle to select from?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do they let you enter or otherwise provide your car rental loyalty program number to skip the line and go straight to an assigned car or to an aisle to select from?
Not sure about booking rental cars with AA miles, but when I have used Costco Travel - the booking confirmation has the rental company rental agreement number.
I will go to the rental company site direct and link my account with that specific rental.

I would imagine that if the confirmation from using AA miles for the car has that info, you could do a similar work around.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:09 am

Will check that out. Thanks! What do you guys think of CarRental8 reviews? Do you write comments and reviews when you are happy with the services or only angry customers write them? Anyone rented a car from this company? How was your personal experience with them? Would really appreciate some feedback

Last edited by jennywhite; Dec 19, 2023 at 4:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.