Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It doesn't matter who books the reservation, the free bag is based on whether the primary card holder's AAdvantage number is on the reservation 7 days before travel
It doesn't matter how the ticket is paid. Travel does not have to be paid for with the card.
So, basically, if checking in with AA, no fee.
If checking in with AS, you will probably have to pay a fee
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by stupenal
I booked my flight to Hawaii using my British Avios this past monday, and we are departing tomorrow, Saturday. I called yesterday to update my reservation to include my AAdvantage number. I have the Barclays card, and my Aadvantage account online shows that I am an Aviator member.

The CSR confirmed that I have a free bag allowance for my flight tomorrow, but I'm not sure. I even called again and got a different CSR who confirmed the same thing. The both said they can see a banner on my itinerary that shows I have a preferred credit card, and when clicking through on bag allowance, it shows one free bag. The reason I'm not sure is because it does not jive with the 7 day rule that is noted in this thread. The flight was booked less than 7 days ago, plus it was originally booked through BA so it did not have my AAdvantage number even at time of booking.

Any thoughts if there will be a problem at the airport checkin with respect to the free bag allowance?
I have the same question. Reading through this entire thread, I see this same question has been asked several times but not answered definitively. It is repeatedly cited that the AA number must be there 7 days in advance, but it seems no one has actually tested it. I'm in the same boat as you. On Tuesday I booked a flight for departure Saturday. I booked with Avios and just called in (Thursday night) to swap the number to my AA number. I would bet that if you are a long time cardmember where the account is already linked, as long is your AA number is there when you check in, it will work fine. The 7 day requirement is probably made up and just there so people who try to add FF at the checkin desk are denied. I'm not yet sure if I will check a bag, but am inclined to try it out and take one for the team.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kilbornr
I have the same question. Reading through this entire thread, I see this same question has been asked several times but not answered definitively. It is repeatedly cited that the AA number must be there 7 days in advance, but it seems no one has actually tested it. I'm in the same boat as you. On Tuesday I booked a flight for departure Saturday. I booked with Avios and just called in (Thursday night) to swap the number to my AA number. I would bet that if you are a long time cardmember where the account is already linked, as long is your AA number is there when you check in, it will work fine. The 7 day requirement is probably made up and just there so people who try to add FF at the checkin desk are denied. I'm not yet sure if I will check a bag, but am inclined to try it out and take one for the team.
Well I got 2 free checked bags (one for myself, one for my wife who was on the same PNR) for my flight last Saturday where the ticket was booked via BA avios 5 days before departure, and AA # wasn't added until 2 days before departure. I'm not sure what the rules are since it flies completely in the face of the 7 day rule, both for when the booking was made, and also the fact that I didn't add my AA # until even later.

My advice is - if in doubt, call AA and check with the CSR what they see for your itinerary. Their system appears to be accurate in my case.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:34 am

Partial data point. Itinerary booked with Avios 5 days before trip. AA # added about 36 hours before flight. I checked in this morning and was given group 5 boarding, which is the priority boarding that comes with the card and also has the same "7 days" language in the terms. I'm going to call BS on the 7 days requirement. I think your number just has to be there before check in.

(Also I've been a Barclays and Citi customer for years and my card was already linked to my profile. They both keep waiving the annual fee, so I've kept both cards)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:08 am

What Baggage Region is Mexico In? (For Citi AA card free bag purposes)

Will be flying to Cozumel in the next few weeks and was checking the baggage rules as we will have a couple of bags to check. I am a Citi Aadvantage cardholder which includes a free checked bag on a domestic itinerary. Trying to figure out if Mexico is considered domestic. The AA website is of no help as Mexico does not appear to be listed anywhere on the baggage region page. Will a baggage fee be assessed for travel to Cozumel?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-regions.jsp

Last edited by Redeemed; Dec 15, 2018 at 12:11 am Reason: Add attachment
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Go about 1/2 way down the page to the 'Charges' section.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:57 am

“Domestic” first bag free with the card actually means “domestic” in this case. Not the AA 500 mile upgrade North America definition.

You do not receive a free bag on international flights. So no free bag to Cozumel, unfortunately. First bag cost is $30 (or $25, if booked prior to Sept 20).

Last edited by Djokison; Dec 15, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Will be flying to Cozumel in the next few weeks and was checking the baggage rules as we will have a couple of bags to check. I am a Citi Aadvantage cardholder which includes a free checked bag on a domestic itinerary. Trying to figure out if Mexico is considered domestic. The AA website is of no help as Mexico does not appear to be listed anywhere on the baggage region page. Will a baggage fee be assessed for travel to Cozumel?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-regions.jsp
Canada and Mexico are international destinations. The usual Citi or Barclaycard baggage allowance stipulates it applies to domestic travel. Your best source is to look up the detailed benefits for your specific Citi AAdvantage Card - there are several issued. The usual language is

First checked bag free

on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four (or eight, depending on card) companions traveling with you on the same reservation.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:10 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you look at the baggage regions link, Canada is included under the domestic header. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, HawaiianMiles
Aviator Red MasterCard and Checked Luggage

I am a Aviator Red MasterCard holder and have 4 people on my upcoming reservation. Each person will be checking a bag. Under benefits for the Aviator Red MasterCard, it says "Your first eligible checked bag is free of charge for you and up to 4 traveling companions on your reservation, when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines." We are all traveling together on a domestic flight. I will be checking in all 4 people on the reservation. Do I put all 4 bags in my name when checking in for the flight or do I put one under each name?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
One under each name.. You get one free checked bag per person.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, HawaiianMiles
Perfect! Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:15 am

Citi AAdvantage card and Luggage fees in Basic Economy.

I have Citti AAdvantage master card, bought a basic economy ticket from IND-PLS. Reading through reports, i thought I am allowed to check in luggage without paying extra fees, however was told at the airport that particular benefit is only for domestic flights and does not cover international flights, so i had to pay $25 for checked bag both going and coming back.
Is that correct that checked bag benefit does not apply to international flights? If so, how do i go about getting reimbursed for this expense?
Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:04 pm

Yes, the benefit is for domestic flights only.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.