Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ziqch
Thanks.
What did it say on your e-ticket receipt? There should never be an argument at the airport because US law requires that bag fees be displayed on the receipt.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion transferred to the AA forum because this is a benefit administered by the airline. Ample information here:

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:01 am
HGH

I am confused about this, now. I have several domestic Basic Economy tickets purchased and all of the emails have the same standard language about baggage fees. They all state that I have to pay $30 a bag, even though I am pretty confident that I don't because of credit card benefits.

I can't find the data from older flights that were all Main Economy or Award flights, but if IRC they also had the same baggage fees listed. And, I still received the free bag for me and companions for years using the Citibank Platinum MC.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:16 am

I think this sentence in the Wiki is incorrect, "The primate[sic] cardholder must be currently active cardholder, the card number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight."

Instead it should read, "...the cardholder's Aadvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior..." Isn't that right?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I think this sentence in the Wiki is incorrect, "The primate[sic] cardholder must be currently active cardholder, the card number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight."

Instead it should read, "...the cardholder's Aadvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior..." Isn't that right?
I'm new to all of this but had done a ton of reading here and various blogs and have to agree with what you are saying above. I believe you just have to have the AA # associated with the AA credit card on the reservation as from what I read you don't even have to use the AA credit card for the flight.

Last edited by beltline; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
OK, who’s been monkeying around with the wiki?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
OK, who’s been monkeying around with the wiki?
I see what you did there...

Regards
beltway likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, AA
Just a quick question.

If I check in with HA for an interisland flight that connects to an AA flight to the mainland, is there any way to still get the free checked bag?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Canada and Mexico are international destinations. The usual Citi or Barclaycard baggage allowance stipulates it applies to domestic travel. Your best source is to look up the detailed benefits for your specific Citi AAdvantage Card - there are several issued. The usual language is
Right, but...

The page that @Redeemed mentioned (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-regions.jsp) does indicate Canada is considered domestic but oddly doesn't list Mexico at all.

Normally, I would assume that Mexico would be covered under the "Central America" restriction (i.e. a bag fee is due, and it'll be $30), but my own personal experience flying DFW-MEX-DFW last month on an itinerary ticketed at the end of November is that I was not charged a baggage fee coming home from MEX (con tequila), and I am a nobody status-wise with an Aviator Red credit card. (The itinerary was ticketed with IB Avios, if that makes a difference, though.)

EDIT: LOL, I completely spaced that I intentionally booked the MEX-DFW flight in J to avoid a baggage fee, knowing I would probably return home with consumable liquids. So, nevermind. But I'll know in a couple weeks what the actual rule for MX-US is when I check in to return home...

I had to chuckle at this line from https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-baggage-fees/ (emphasis mine):

As noted above, American is one of the carriers that recently boosted its checked bag feesby $5. If you’re traveling within the US or to/from Canada, the Caribbean or Central America (excluding Panama) and your ticket was issued on or after September 21, 2018, you’ll now pay $30 each way for your first bag and $40 for your second.

On other international flights, you practically need a PhD to decipher the various policies and how they vary based on your destination, type of ticket and how many bags you’re checking.
It really shouldn't be this difficult, though I suppose the fact I wasn't charged for a bag last time means there's a good chance that I won't be this time, even if per all the various T&Cs I probably should be, so I probably shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth if their systems are programmed incorrectly.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Does anyone know how hard it is to get the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage card? My daughter will be flying without me to/from college and the annual fee should be offset by the baggage fees she would have to pay.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
The page that @Redeemed mentioned (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-regions.jsp) does indicate Canada is considered domestic but oddly doesn't list Mexico at all.
So is there a definitive word about whether Citi credit card holders get a free checked bag to/from Canada? It's not "domestic," but then AA's baggage policy seems to say it is. Is there any way to go to your reservation and see if they want to charge you? I looked at mine and couldn't tell.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BUMP. So is there no one with a Citi Aadvantage card who has flown to Canada and can tell us whether cardholders get a free checked bag? Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by iahphx
BUMP. So is there no one with a Citi Aadvantage card who has flown to Canada and can tell us whether cardholders get a free checked bag? Thanks.
Just checked, Mexico and Canada both have bag fees that are not waived by any credit cards, sorry.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink

Just checked, Mexico and Canada both have bag fees that are not waived by any credit cards, sorry.
OK, thanks. I guess AA can claim their baggage policy's definition of "domestic" doesn't apply to interpreting the word "domestic" in Citi's "free checked bag" policy. The latter has a literal meaning.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
What is the latest on this? Do you still get free checked bags even if you do not purchase the ticket or any portion of the ticket with the Citi AA card, or must you split the payment between two cards with one being the Citi AA if you want free checked bags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.